Topic: Does Chumby.com not care about Firefox users?

There's been a rendering bug in Firefox for the last couple months.  On the main screen, the big chumby renders in front of the drop down menu and the "Why grab a chumby?".  Making it difficult to click on the proper drop down if there are more than 2 lines in the drop down.  This happens in both Windows and Linux Firefox, but does not happen in IE.

Re: Does Chumby.com not care about Firefox users?

Can I respectfully ask why you choose to frame your questions in the most negative manner possible?

Of *course* we care about Firefox users.

It's what we in the industry call a "bug".  We're looking into it.

It would be helpful if you provided information about the specific versions of Windows, Linux, Firefox (and any plugins) and Flash that you're using, so we can reproduce the problem.

Duane wrote:

Can I respectfully ask why you choose to frame your questions in the most negative manner possible?

I think you just proved that you can.

Duane wrote:

It would be helpful if you provided information about the specific versions of Windows, Linux, Firefox (and any plugins) and Flash that you're using, so we can reproduce the problem.

I don't have all the systems in front of me, but off the top of my head:

Mandriva Spring 2007, Firefox 2.0.0.8 (AdBlock Plus, Adobe Flash Player 9,0,31,0)
Ubuntu 7.10, Firefox 2.0.0.10 (Adblock Plus, Flash Block)
WinXP SP3, Firefox 2.0.0.10 (Adblock Plus)

Oh, huh...I just noticed that on my Linux box...I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen on my Windows box (I run FF in both places), but I'll doublecheck when I get home.

Bug occurring for me on:
Ubuntu 7.04, FF 2.0.0.6, Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

On Linux, it appears to be a limitation of the platform - Firefox/Linux does not appear to honor the 'wmode' parameter for the Flash plugin.

We're not seeing the problem under Windows.  Can anyone confirm jhaluska's report?

Duane wrote:

We're not seeing the problem under Windows.  Can anyone confirm jhaluska's report?

Well apparently, I'll need to retract it.  Cause I just checked and it currently isn't happening on at least one of my Window's computers.  So I wouldn't focus on that.  Apparently it also works properly in Konqueror 3.5.6.

A quick Google search shows this is a known problem with Firefox/Linux and Flash - numerous hits on Adobe's site.

Not much we can do here in chumby-land without specially handling this case and presenting an entirely different page.

Duane wrote:

Not much we can do here in chumby-land without specially handling this case and presenting an entirely different page.

Or chumby-land could change the site so it doesn't use wmode.

jhaluska wrote:

Or chumby-land could change the site so it doesn't use wmode.

Or Firefox could fix their bug.

Honestly, it would take quite a while to redo the site to get around this issue - however, we'll add that as an issue should a decision be made to redesign.

I've been able to fix some instances of this happening by tweaking z-order in the <li>s in the menu. I don't use linux, so can't test your site to see if this'll help. Here's a description of a solution similar to what I did (but in this case uses to fix Safari flicker):

http://blog.capstrat.com/articles/a-sol … in-safari/