1 (edited by skada 2007-11-28 08:17:13)

Topic: New email widget suggestions

I love that you can now see the full contents of the email in the new email widget, but there are a few things that bother me:

- you killed my old email widget, and didn't replace it with the new one. I think the way to handle this would be is just say either on startup or on the new widget itself for a while, "The email widget has been updated - please configure additional options at Chumby.com".
- the skins are UGLY. Horrific, actually :-) Please add more skin choices - even plain colors would be ok. The old email widget was pretty decent looking.
- the scroll arrows are at the top, making me put my finger in an uncomfortable position to scroll and read at the same time. I think the bottom would be fine.
- A few messages won't open. Is there a way you can just pull the text and no attachment, or graphics, if that's the issue?
EDIT: actually, I don't see anything strange in the emails that won't open. I can send them to you if you want (there's no privacy issues - it's just a forum update notification that's all text with a few links in it). Let me know, and I can send the email as an attachment if you want, so you can see the header info.

Overall, though, THANK YOU for letting me actually read my email messages on the Chumby now. Really cool.

Re: New email widget suggestions

Also, I can't scroll down to look at more messages. It only shows the first 5 or 6.
I also was not able to open a few emails...complained it was unsupported format

Re: New email widget suggestions

Thanks for the feedback.  We could & probably will add support for paging down to see more messages in the future.  Do you think the 10 most recent would be enough?  I found that trying to fetch more message summaries at once noticeably adds to the delay in the chumby getting a complete pop3 response from mail servers.

Some messages are unsupported because they were probably sent as html only.  It's an option on most mail clients.  Many send as both html and text, which allows us to display the message.  However, it's possible that even a message that looks like plain text was sent in html-only format.  We could attempt to display those too, at the risk of rendering them completely wrong.  I think early adopters such as those currently on this forum will understand and forgive the wrong formatting in such cases, but it might cause a general user to perceive the chumby as "buggy" which I'd rather avoid.