Topic: I had to change my network. The Insignia 3.5 is the only thing

I had to change my network.
The Insignia 3.5 is the only thing that didn't come up after the router change.
I have another Insignia 3.5, and I have an insignia 8 to try.
I just tried the insignia 8 and it connected fine and it's working.
The other insignia 3.5 has the exact same message.

I've had to change 22 devices when I changed this stuff. Everything else works.

It's sitting here saying

Network connection failed
Wlan0 link is down
failed to obtain IP address
chumby.com is unreachable.

I've entered the wifi pw a number of times.

So I tried different things, even assigning it a manual IP and DNS, that didn't change a thing.
I just don't get it. The computer I am typing this on is on the very same wifi and it's working, and the chumby is right in front of me where it's been all these years.

I don't get it. New router in the same place the old one was. I'm stopped.

Re: I had to change my network. The Insignia 3.5 is the only thing

It it just a router, or a full Wifi access point?

If it's an AP, check to make sure that 802.11b/g is enabled.

It's not totally impossible that the Insignia 8 works, but the Insignia 3.5 doesn't.  They do use different Wifi network adapters.

I had a customer recently change his AP to a brand-spanking new one only to find out that there was a known documented issue in that model that didn't properly support all 802.11 b/g clients.

I you have Linux skills, one should be able to plug a USB keyboard into the I3.5 and get an on-screen console.  From there you can directly enter commands to try to connect manually and see what the problem may be.

3 (edited by Steevo 2022-11-16 09:32:14)

Here's what I noticed.
My SSID is like this: Network 2400
With one space.

That works for everything, and it was exactly how the previous router (Netgear R6300V1) was set up.
The new R6300V2 is set up the same. I switched because I had a few problems and the V2 which I had received some security update the V1 did not. I have to say the V1 worked a little better. I love those things! When I installed that it covered the whole house, I no longer needed any extenders.

When the I3.5 scans it comes back with: Network__2400 with two underlines.
I had a space, but now the scan finds two underlines between the words.
The I8 found Network2400 with no space, and that one connects. I guess it's possible that spaces in SSIDs are ignored by most devices?

So this is a very big clue of what's going on here.

I tried entering the SSID on the I3.5 manually as both Network 2400 and Network2400 but neither connects.
I guess I should try Network_2400.  With one underline.
I just did. No difference.

Hmm. A mystery.

Huh, not sure what to say.  I have two Wifi networks at home, both with multiple spaces in the SSIDs and I haven't had any trouble with my chumby devices - although I have to say, I only have CC, C1 and C8 devices running, no I3.5's or I8s.

I'll see if I can dig out an I3.5 device and put it on my network to see what I get.

Looking at some forums, at least at some point, the Netgear R6300 required a different SSIDs on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so this *might* be something that's confusing the I3.5.

Is it possible for you to temporarily change your SSID to one without spaces to see if the problem goes away?

5 (edited by Steevo 2022-11-16 16:55:53)

I could do that.
I have separate SSIDs for each band
Network 2400
Network 5GHZ

All this worked swell on my R6300V1. When I changed that out it all went bad on me.

I took the space in the SSIDs out, messy, but it now works.
I found out an Eco plugs Alexa Enabled smart plug had the same problem with the space in the SSID that the Insignia 3.5 had.
Maybe the same WIFI chip? 

As I said neither had a problem with the R6300V1, and a space in the SSID, but with the R6300V2 I got control characters in the space. Seemingly the same bogus characters in both devices.

Everything is working again. What a PITA that is if you have a lot of devices.