1 (edited by ncoop23 2007-11-19 18:37:13)

Topic: so yeah... control panel source

I decompiled the control panel but need a chumbian to give me the ok and ill post it up on either rapidshare or a torrent possibly on my server.  I just don't wanna make chumby angry and get baned or something... This should help people implement the features they want in control panels.  So once a chumby person chimes in on a yay or nay ill post it.

Re: so yeah... control panel source

Yes, you're welcome to post (elsewhere) decompiled source code for the Control Panel, however you must clearly identify it as your own interpretation and not the actual source code as developed by Chumby Industries, that Chumby Industries will not be obligated to provide any support whatsoever for any derivative works from the use of that code, and that the availability of the code does not convey any rights to patents, trademarks, copyrights or other rights embodied in the code.

It should be noted that the Control Panel is a rapidly changing movie, and treating this as anything but a historical curiousity probably isn't a good idea.

My plans with releasing it are to allow developers to implament their own features that they would like and submit to you(Chumby Ind) so that the features can be implamented quicker.  There are a lot of cool things that people want but you guys are too busy to implament.  For example other than Ipod only support I would like to plug in my jump drive and play MP3s off of it.

It would be great if at least there was a mechanism for adding new buttons/plugins for the control panel, not unlink in Windows et al without having to recompile the control panel.

This way if there was a new USB-device hanging off the Chumby a control panel widget-plugin could be wrtten to administrate it.

Duane wrote:

It should be noted that the Control Panel is a rapidly changing movie, and treating this as anything but a historical curiousity probably isn't a good idea.

If you are changing the controlpanel, could you consider making it less "online-dependend"? At the moment I use my chumby without a real wifi, just an adhoc-network with my laptop without internet-connection, which causes some problems:

*) My network configuration ins't accepted by the Chumby because chumby.com ins't reachable.
*) the controlpanel doesn't allow me to do anything else but configuring the network.
*) the sshd doesn't startup by itself even if I touch the correspondent file in /psp/ (Had to fiddle arround to get it run.)

I know beeing connected to the internet is the big main feature of the chumby, but it would open more possibilities if the device isn't blocking everything if it is used in another way.

And a great feature would be if you could check for widgets on the removable storage (for example under /mnt/usb/widgets) and if there are some of them form some sort of "local channel" with them. Then the cumby wouldn't apear so helpless without internet smile