1 (edited by rob_lewis 2019-08-30 20:00:17)

Topic: Stupid question about apps

I got the Chumby software all installed on the Dash (Kudos to the creators!).  I have weather and clock. 
Where I'm struggling (and I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong), is how to load apps.  Do the Chumby apps work on the Dash?  I registered my Dash on the Chumby site.  I can add apps to the default channel on the website, but can't figure out how to get them to the Dash. When I click the top button and select Themes and Apps and then select Browse Apps, all it shows me is the clock. 

If Chumby apps don't work on the Dash, that's cool, no worries.  But, I also have issues getting some of the default stuff to work. For example, in the blue octy radio app, I can only get a few channels to work like NPR News Cast and NASA Radio, but most don't work or crash the Dash.  On Shoutcast, I can't get any of them to play.  When I select one and click play, it just sits there.  Again, probably something I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Re: Stupid question about apps

Dash can do Chumby apps IF you are subscribed for this service. You mentioned default so assume maybe you arent on paid service.
Music sources should all work to some degree. Some links change from time to time. Shoutcast has many old links not working. Not a chumby issue.
You can add as many apps as you want from Chumby.com but wont work if not subscribed.
Post nonworking apps or links on blueocty radio and Duane can work on it.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

You mentioned default so assume maybe you arent on paid service.

If you don't create your own channel 'default' is the, well, default even if you are subscribing...

riblet2000 wrote:
demarks51 wrote:

You mentioned default so assume maybe you arent on paid service.

If you don't create your own channel 'default' is the, well, default even if you are subscribing...

I did say "assume maybe you aren't on paid service". From the context of the post, I was letting the person know what I thought he *may* be referring to. I could be wrong but at least a response to this may help us help this person. My only point was that IF you are not subscribed, you can add lots of apps to default channel at the website and they will not appear on the Dash. Am I wrong in saying this?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Generally, reboot the dash and the apps will appear. Or give it time. Anywhere between an hour and a day. My experience.

Here’s a new dumb question... IF there comes a time when interest in the Chumbdash drops to a point where nearly no one is subscribing and the server is shut down, what functionality will the Chumbdash have?

It can have whatever functionality you want, if you replace the Control Panel, which is just a Flash movie.

Or you can intercept the system at boot, which is what the "patch" does.

The chumby "hack" makes the dash pretty much entirely hackable as long as you don't try to replace anything in the base firmware image, and run everything out of /psp or /mnt/usb.