Topic: Is screen burn an issue?

Do I need to worry about screen burn on my chumby classic?

I have it set to stay on the clock for most of the time and I'm worried it will damage the screen.

Re: Is screen burn an issue?

I have never seen burn in on any of mine and I have been running Chumbys for a long time. Others may use theirs differently though. Cycling through widgets may be why mine have not suffered burn in. If you only have one widget in a channel that may be a different story.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The chumby uses TFT displays, which generally do not exhibit "screen burn".  However, over a long period of time, with the same images, the crystals can seem to "stick" after a while in a form of image persistence that can superficially resemble burn-in.  Unlike with Plasmas and CRTs, this is temporary - just turn off the device for some period of time, or display a full-white image for an hour or so, and any persistent images should go away.

The bigger issue with these types of displays is the gradual dimming of the backlight, which have a half-life.  All of my devices have "alarms" set to go into "night mode" when I'm not around - for instance the devices I have at work go into night mode from about 6pm to 8 am, which greatly extends the lifetime of the display.

4 (edited by pduncan67 2019-10-16 05:07:50)

Duane wrote:

...The bigger issue with these types of displays is the gradual dimming of the backlight, which have a half-life...

Is the backlight replaceable for CC, C8 and C1?

I use Night Mode. I have never seen any burn in on my units.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

The backlight is built into the display, so it can't be independently replaced.

So if the backlight fails, can the display be replaced?  Are parts getting hard to find?

I have a spare screen but can't remember if it is for a Chumby One or an Infocast 3.5

The screens for the C1 an I3.5 are the same.  Beyond the enclosure, the differences between the devices are minimal.

If you swap the displays, be sure you know what you're doing - in particular be sure you understand the ribbon cable connector to the display from the main board.

Duane wrote:

The screens for the C1 an I3.5 are the same.  Beyond the enclosure, the differences between the devices are minimal.

If you swap the displays, be sure you know what you're doing - in particular be sure you understand the ribbon cable connector to the display from the main board.

I used one of the two 3.5 inch screens I had for a project (almost complete). They were from either Chumby Ones or Infocast 3.5s. I can't remember if it was one of each or two from the same type of device. The two displays were the same but the ribbon cables were slightly different.