1 (edited by g33k 2007-11-19 10:00:59)

Topic: Support for Archos media players

I have an Archos AV500 which I dearly love. One of the features that made me pick Archos is that their devices mount as generic storage when connected via USB. The filesystem is quite simple, so I hope and believe it will be a simple matter to support them.

There are three relevant folders in the filesystem:

Playlists - contains generic M3U playlists
Music - predictably, contains the music files
Pictures - where digital images get stored

You can organize music in the Music folder in whatever way you choose. I have a folder for each artist with subfolders for each album. I imagine this is the most common organizational scheme.

The Pictures folder can also be organized any way you like. I just dump photos into that folder.

I don't use playlists at all, so support for them is not a concern of mine, though I imagine many would consider it desirable.

I'll be happy to do any testing you like to get Archos support working smoothly.

Re: Support for Archos media players

I had the AV700 for quite some time - great devices...

I have a gmini200 and a 604. You can still mount them as a hard drive, then ssh to the chumby and btplay /mnt/usb/... but its a lot of work :-)

(that's what I do because the speakers of my laptop are dead and I don't have any stereo or other speakers right now)

4 (edited by skada 2007-11-21 08:18:38)

@Vineus - What's the exact syntax for the mount? I tried all sorts of combinations with 0, 1, 2, a, b, with a folder slash before it and without (i.e. /mnt/usb1/[rest of path], /mnt/usb/1/[rest of path]) and couldn't get anything to work.  I tried to use a path to just one mp3 file.

EDIT: figured it out. It's just /mnt/usb/ I got thrown off by an earlier post that said you needed to specify whether you're using a or b.

g33k wrote:

Playlists - contains generic M3U playlists

Could you please email me one of the m3u files (duane@chumby.com)?  I want to see the syntax of the file paths they're including.