1 (edited by demarks51 2019-04-08 11:50:07)

Topic: Anything NEW going on with Blue Octy?

Just wondering what is happening if anything. Are there less units operating? Any new apps? What's the future look like? I use mine daily (except for one unit that is not plugged in). Thought I could stir up some interest.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: Anything NEW going on with Blue Octy?

My Dash just keeps chugging along.  It works better than it ever did under Sony. big_smile

The issue currently is that I'm traveling a lot for work - I was out of town four days last week, and I'll be out of town the rest of this week.  Except for a week or so where I had the flu, I've been traveling almost as many days as I've been home since the beginning of the year.

What I have done is get the old Chumby firmware build systems online, and I can now build new firmware images.  I have built firmware images for all of the Chumby and Insignia devices which should include full SSL support, but I have done no basic sanity testing yet.  I need to make some changes to the build to bring in new timezone files, since the ones currently deployed are a bit stale. This will be important if the US is serious about changing Daylight Saving policies.

I am occasionally fixing and deploying updates to widgets, which sometimes include content server deployments, and I am, of course, continuing to provide basic customer support by email.

There's some natural attrition of devices, mostly as a result of devices failing or being damaged, but it's slow.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update, Duane. I can certainly appreciate that your JOB is what pays the bills. But you still seem to have a passion to keep BlueOcty going. I just have checked this site from time to time and see no/little action. Didn't want things to go stale. I really like using my Chumbys/Infos/Sony Dashes. Happy trails!

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Sounds promising. I think we have to accept that with an undertaking like this it's going to move forward in fits and starts, and you've done a lot with the Dash stuff that may not benefit most of us directly (Classic owner here) but grows the community. Having said that, I think the ability to roll out updated firmware to as many Chumbies as possible has to be the next step; like everyone else I've noticed a slow but steady dying-off of widgets and if that goes too far we'll lose critical mass. Getting the old build systems running again sounds eminently sensible and a big step forward, even if it's not quite visible to most of us yet...