Topic: NOAA weather now says "Undefined"

The NOAA weather widget now says "undefined" at the top.
It previews with that same display on chumby.com.

Re: NOAA weather now says "Undefined"

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=10095

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

My Sony Dash is set as dedicated weather station, so I have lost the NOAA Weather forecast and radar. Effective doing nothing for the past month. My wife keeps asking me to "fix it". I added the fish tank ap which pleases both cats, but not my wife. Any alternatives or updates would be appreciated. No, divorce is not an option. Been married 31 years, it's too late for that. Plus, she is good to have around.  (The wife and the dash)

You have to understand that this is out of our hands - the government servers that supply this data to us were affected by the partial government shutdown, and were causing serious problems on our systems.

Because our servers also provide data from other widgets and the various music services, we had no choice but to block the malfunctioning government servers until they resolve their issues.

I have no particular insight into what's going on in the agency since the government reopened.  We do know that *many* government data services deteriorated to various degrees of severity over the month of the shutdown, and my experience in the general computer industry and working with various government agencies, and what it publicly known about the degree of damage, that it's probably going to take at least a few weeks to fix everything.  Frankly, the real possibility of another shutdown in a few weeks probably isn't a very helpful incentive to  the people affected.

I will be experimenting this weekend with unblocking the feed to see what condition it's in.

Hi Duane, thanks for the update. I was complaining more about the wife and the government shutdown. I can’t control either one of those. The unbricked Dash has made me smile for the whole time you have given it a new life. Keep up the good work and please accept my apologies if it seemed like I was complaining about the work you and the team do.

We've unblocked and are keeping an eye on it.

I'm guessing that was unsuccessful; it now seems to freeze at "Loading..."

Yeah, the servers are not locking up, and are now responding, but with an error message that there's no data available.

Took a closer look - they moved a bunch of services around so the URLs we were using no longer functioned properly, responding with error messages.

The NOAA widget has been updated for the new locations of the feeds - the CP will eventually recognize the change automatically after a couple of hours, or you can reboot your device to force it to check.

Looking better... but still not totally right.

It's showing current conditions, but the forecast is confused (eg all the days may be SUN with undefined values).

I've seen that happen several times in the past - that behavior seems to depend upon the weather station.

For my zipcode (92131), I'm getting all the data.  What zipcode are you using?

12 (edited by sweh 2019-02-05 18:11:47)

07410.  I can confirm that your ZIP displays fine in the online preview, but mine breaks :-)

it likely just means that your local station is only supplying current conditions at the moment.

If it had been working before, it just may mean that they're not yet fully restored to normal operation.

Hmm, this is odd... on my two C1s it now works properly, but on the chumdash I get "undefined" all over the place... so I power cycled the chumdash... and now it works!

I wonder if it had cached something really bad...

Could be.  We had to do some redirecting on the back end a while back because the weather.gov data pulls were killing the server... whether that was due to some fallout from the partial shutdown, or coincidence, I'm not sure.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.