Topic: Subscription question

I'm interested in the subscription because I'm interested in seeing what apps are out there but what if I decide later on that I don't need to subscribe anymore for any new apps or app updates?  Will the existing apps stop working?  I'm asking because I'm not sure what apps will be of real use to me when I'm basically going to use this as a night clock sitting on a high shelf most likely.

Re: Subscription question

The subscription pay for bandwidth - unlike your phone, the chumby does not really have the memory to store apps beyond some simple caching, so they're basically streamed to the device.  In addition, some apps use other services provided by the chumby servers.

So...the apps require the subscription.  If you terminate the subscription, the apps will go away at the end of the current subscription period and the device will revert back to the "unsubscribed" clock.

As you already know, the device will work fine as an alarm clock and streaming music player without a subscription.  Some of the music services still use the chumby backend services, but we offer that for free to all chumby users.  Some users that do not subscribe will occasionally buy charms or stickers as donations to support that functionality.

Ahhh, got it, now I think I understand.
I'll have to think about it since 99.9% of the time it will be sitting on a high shelf switching between day clock and night clock mode. But I will probably buy some charms or stickers (don't yet know what those are) to help support the work put into this smile
Thanks

marklyn wrote:

Ahhh, got it, now I think I understand.
But I will probably buy some charms or stickers (don't yet know what those are) to help support the work put into this smile
Thanks

Charms and stickers are available at the Chumby Store.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane: May I interject that it may be prudent to list the Dash units you may have in stock to support BlueOcty? Since the Dash c-10s seemed to be working fine now, it may be time to offer these to interested parties.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

We do have a couple of dozen new-sealed-in-the-box Sony dash units in inventory.

We're working on the disclaimer language for the store to make sure people know precisely what they're getting - we have had issues where we sold units with a pretty clear all-caps disclaimer about the imminent demise of the Sony service and people still came back to us to complain when it finally happened.  And that's not counting people that have been coming to us for a couple of years *before* the shutdown asking for support for the dash when Sony was unresponsive.

One thing that's also an issue is that the softer plastic/rubber around the outside discolors with age, even in brand new units.  In general, a simple cleaning will take care of most of it, but we've had customers keep sending units back as though they're defective.

Since we now have an official "dingle" with the patches on it makes it easier to ship units out since the users can get some use out of the dashes immediately instead of having to download software, find a compatible dongle, etc.

7 (edited by infocastme 2018-12-13 09:32:19)

Duane wrote:

We're working on the disclaimer language for the store to make sure people know precisely what they're getting -

I am not a lawyer but how about a simple email that the purchaser acknowledges the conditions of sale with a return email?

I certainly understand your position. No matter how plain you make it, people just don't read or don't want to read. Hopefully you can liquidate your Dash inventory to those who understand the situation. There still seems to be folks that think Chumby Inc still "owes" them for a unit that does not offer free service as was claimed at the beginning Chumby era.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.