1 (edited by tomalex2017 2018-07-23 18:54:38)

Topic: Dash Freezes Setting Alarm

This has been going on a long time, and I just now made the effort to post it to this forum. During the alarm setting process, the Dash hangs up. I set the time then hit "next", set date, then hit "next, then the Dash reports it's "loading channels". It never gets past loading channels and hangs there. The next step is the alarm type selection which is what I presume it means by channels. I then have to unplug the Dash, re-plug and wait the 5 minutes or so that this thing takes to boot up. Usually, I need to be there to go through all the network prompts again. Tonight, to my surprise it re-booted all the way through on it's own. Maybe because I only unplugged it for less than a second, I don't know.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems the longer the Dash has been running the more likely it is to happen like this. Can there be a fix for this? This rarely happened with the old software. What say you, Chumby-Dash people?

Re: Dash Freezes Setting Alarm

Sound like a network issue of some sort, since it's having difficulty loading the channels (the lists of configured apps), and seems to also be having a tough time reaching the server on boot.

When it is working, does it have any issue with playing audio, and what are the values on the network status screen?

I'll try to reproduce the problems - also, please email me your username at the "customer support" link on the main site and I'll see if there's anything peculiar about your account.

3 (edited by demarks51 2018-07-24 06:33:04)

Alarm type means "what do you want to use to wake you up?" This can be one of several sounds or some channel you prefer. There is even an option for no sound but an action only (like exiting night mode). It may be trying to find on the server the choices available for the alarm. Are you having any other internet snags?

It does seem to take a while for the Dash to boot up. Dot, dot, dot, dot,...….flashing dot. Not sure if it is much longer than Chumby/Infocast models but sometimes it seems that way.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Duane wrote:

Sound like a network issue of some sort, since it's having difficulty loading the channels (the lists of configured apps), and seems to also be having a tough time reaching the server on boot.

When it is working, does it have any issue with playing audio, and what are the values on the network status screen?

I'll try to reproduce the problems - also, please email me your username at the "customer support" link on the main site and I'll see if there's anything peculiar about your account.

Link Quality 85%
Signal strength -58 dBm
I've only been using the Dash as a clock lately, but I checked the Shoutcast and Blue Octy channels and music plays fine. It only freezes the first time and works fine right after it reboots. I sent an email to support@chumby.com.

demarks51 wrote:

Are you having any other internet snags?

I've only been using the Dash as a clock lately, so the only problem I've been having is when I go to set the alarm. It hangs up but allows me to set the alarm after a reboot. Although after testing the audio per Duane's request, I might use the radio stations again.

Like you I've been having the same issue. I thought it was just me! It almost seems as though the network is in a sleep mode and will not wake up to make a call to check radio stations. The symptoms are the same, it locks up when trying to load what method of wake up music to use. Rebooting is a temporary fix... until the next time.

Yes it would seem so, and no word from the admins.

I will try to reproduce the behavior.

If other Sony dash users could also check this, I'd appreciate it.

Don't seem to be a problem here. 3 Dash units working fine.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

A quick question - how many channels do you have, and/or are there any channels with unusually large numbers of widgets?

It might also be helpful if you give me your permission to temporarily attach a dash device to your account and see if I can make it happen - if that works for you, please email me your username.

My C10 has had no issues at all.

Sorry for the absence. In answer to:
"A quick question - how many channels do you have, and/or are there any channels with unusually large numbers of widgets?"
Since I resurrected the Dash, I don't think I've installed any channels or widgets. As of late, it's been working fine up until a week ago. I'm suspecting that the Dash is losing it's connection with the network. And why is it not reconnecting itself automatically? I checked again and the readings are:Link Quality 100%
Signal strength -46 dBm

I suspect network connection issues may be the culprit and an ATT tech is coming out tomorrow to check my lines/setup.