Re: LaCrosse weather direct units closing down Aug 31

I got mine a week ago.  It is a nice unit that I got for $25 discounted.   I miss the 5 day forecast that my old unit had.  Overall I am happy.   I didn't get the model with the wind and rain gauges. I use a BloomSky instead.
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-station … apnJSnoain

hey there, new here.  I had a couple of the weather direct modules, the batteries died a few months back and my wife has been bugging me to get them working, which I did, and then found out they canceled the service.

Has anyone ever seen a programming interface to them?  I sent them a note asking for the same to see if we could send them our own data.  If we had the API then we could scrape weather data from one of the many sites and send it out.

thanks,

Jerry

no clues for you from me.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Sarah replied that they never published anything either. It seems almost trivial to be able to send them data, all you would need is the IP address or some type of TCP connection.

The deal they are offering isn't bad.  I've wanted rain and wind detectors locally here for quite a while as we get some of the heaviest rain in the US.

Nice meeting everyone.

Jerry

Hope it wasn't a mistake to dump all my Weather Direct units in the trash. It looked like the end of the road. I wish someone could have continued the tech.
I have not set up my weather station yet. I have a lot going on so it may be after Christmas until I get to it. I was even thinking about selling if I decided not to open up the box. Kicking the can down the road.

cncjerry wrote:

hey there, new here.  I had a couple of the weather direct modules, the batteries died a few months back and my wife has been bugging me to get them working, which I did, and then found out they canceled the service.

Has anyone ever seen a programming interface to them?  I sent them a note asking for the same to see if we could send them our own data.  If we had the API then we could scrape weather data from one of the many sites and send it out.

thanks,

Jerry

Probably nobody will see this.. I too replaced the batteries and noticed that the thing was not getting data. I did some googleling around a bit and saw the post about the service going down. Boomer, I did some more digging around and saw that they have an application used to program a fix IP/Proxy, the url is: http://support.lacrossealertsmobile.com/static-ip.html . Well if they let me set an IP for a proxy, perhaps I can re-direct the data to a raspberry pi to serve the correct data back to my WA-1440U. The thing is I don't know what the original data looked like. I see that it used to get it from a box.weatherdirect.com address, but now that URL seems to be broken.

I re-directed the proxy my my desktop pc and used wireshark to sniff anything from that mac and I do see it is trying to register, so maybe there is a chance to get these guys back up? That would be great. Anybody had an idea of how the original data looked like?

Edit by Doktor Jones: Linkified LacrosseAlertsMobile URL

Do I need to go to the landfill and dig up my several Weather Direct units?
My wife thinks I save too many unused things. Maybe I was just to quick to send to the trash. OOPS

Unfortunately I don't think I will be setting up this weather system. It is still in the box unused in any way. Anyone want this  for $100 and actually shipping?

34 (edited by infocastme 2018-03-04 12:27:13)

Here is an interesting project if you want to roll your own weather station.

WIoT-2 Weather Station – Nextion TFT with ESP8266

http://www.plastibots.com/index.php/201 … h-esp8266/

Looks cool but seems way over my head.
I can drop the price to free shipping and $100 for weather station.

Well, I'm completely done with LaCrosse.  Got the original email back in 8/17. Never got any follow-up email. Phone number said offer was coming and watch for an email.  Was watching your forum, so started calling and emailing regularly after service stopped in 10/17.  Never got through to an actual person (always ended going to a voicemail box) and never got any response after several tries every 1-2 months.  Finally today got through to an actual person and the guy said "Oh, that offer was sent in August and ended in October, nothing I can do."  Total BS!  I have 2 WA1340U units with 1 being NIB.  Even see some still currently for sale on Amazon and Ebay. I am DONE!

Sorry to hear that. I had little problem with LaCrosse. Especially when you get to the right person. Hard to believe deal was off after last October. They should have cs record of your communications. I never let one cs  rep stop me. Call again and keep them listening to you until they give in. Ask for supervisor. I know it can be  humiliating to have be persistent. They should not get away with not serving their loyal customers. Email sarah@lacrossetechnology.com   
Hang in there. They would like for you to go away and keep quiet.

LaCrosse has no control over EBay and Amazon 3rd party sales. LaCrosse does not sell them. Sellers need to be aware of demise of Weather Direct models. Gateways and sensors are useable but displays are practically worthless. Sellers act like it is the same old useable gadget. Wrong! There does have to be a cutoff for WD owners. But those who have fallen thru the cracks need to be helped. This not a legal obligation but a ethical response from a company rewarding loyal customers.