Topic: looking for widget/app to display a jpg from web, and refresh

Hi,
I'm new to chumby, having just converted my Sony Dash C10 to chumby this evening.

Back when the Dash was actually working, I used an app where I could enter a URL (e.g.,
tahoe.jog at a website whose name is three w's and "sieler" and "com" (the forum software won't let me post a URL!), and a time interval (e.g., 10 minutes), and it would fetch the photo every 10 minutes and display it.  (That file, in turn was refreshed on my webserver from a webcam periodically.)

So far, I haven't found anything like that ... but I suspect I'm overlooking things, or getting caught in the complexity of other choices.   (I did find a few hints about "actionscript", but have no clue what to do with them :)

Any suggestions welcome!

thanks,

Stan
sieler at allegro dot com

Re: looking for widget/app to display a jpg from web, and refresh

Thanks to spammers, new people don't get to post URLs... sorry.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

The app you are looking for is "URLimage", same as it was while under Sony oppression.

http://www.chumby.com/guide/87CC49D2-35 … 646/widget

thanks...since my Dash had died, I didn't get a chance to review what widget I'd setup years ago!

I'll check into that!

Stan

There are three widgets that do what I think you want. As riblet2000 mentioned, Image URL works fine. There is also a widget called Load Image from URL that jvcleave wrote. It is very similar to the first widget. Finally, there is Image-Scalable, which I released a couple of months ago. It is designed to allow you to modify the scaling and centering of an image. It is helpful if you want to display images with an aspect ratio other than the 4:3 that is the native Chumby aspect ratio. All can be found under the Webcams category.

You will have to see which of the three works best for your particular image.

ImageURL seemed to not do what I wanted, but URLImage does ... I discovered that the trick (noted by one poster a few years ago, but which *really* should be on the URLImage description) is that if you want the image updated, you need two (or more) instances of URLImage (with the same URL setup) ... or ensure at least one other app is run periodically (e.g., bounce between URLImage and a clock) ... because it fetches the image from the URL only at the start of the app.

If you want to cycle between two images, it seems that you need two instances of URLImage (one for each URL).
(The "customize" box lets you enter more than one URL, but URLImage seems to ignore all except the first one.)

So, my Sony chumby is now happily re-fetching and displaying my webcam photo periodically.

thanks!
Stan