1 (edited by dremoto 2017-12-03 11:54:00)

Topic: C10 On 1.7.1461, Cannot Update Via USB, Greyed Out Options

Hello all. Got a Dash on the cheap to see if i could play with it a bit. Followed directions in multiple posts but cant seem to update the unit so I can install Chumby on it. Has anyone found a workaround to the greyed out (with blue pixel) install from usb option? Ive formatted, reformatted, used different USB drives.......Any help is appreciated as this is a subject hard to dig through on Google. Cheers!

Re: C10 On 1.7.1461, Cannot Update Via USB, Greyed Out Options

What size flash drives have you been using? When I was playing with my son's Dash a while back, I found that I needed to use an old 256 MB flash drive in order for it to be properly recognized by the Dash. When I tried to use a few different 4 GB and 8 GB drives, it would not allow me to load new firmware on the Dash.

I used a 4 GB "Memorex Micro TravelDrive" with no issues. You have to follow the instructions exactly.

dremoto wrote:

Hello all. Got a Dash on the cheap to see if i could play with it a bit. Followed directions in multiple posts but cant seem to update the unit so I can install Chumby on it. Has anyone found a workaround to the greyed out (with blue pixel) install from usb option? Ive formatted, reformatted, used different USB drives.......Any help is appreciated as this is a subject hard to dig through on Google. Cheers!

I'm unclear as to what you have, and what you've done.  saying "multiple posts" doesn't clarify things.

You've got a HID-C10? with older firmware on it?

The 'unbrick' thread is for someone whose dash only shows SONY when booted up, with the flashing 'sony' light..

What exactly, is yours doing, and what, exactly, step by step, have you tried?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
dremoto wrote:

I'm unclear as to what you have, and what you've done.  saying "multiple posts" doesn't clarify things.

You've got a HID-C10? with older firmware on it?

The 'unbrick' thread is for someone whose dash only shows SONY when booted up, with the flashing 'sony' light..

What exactly, is yours doing, and what, exactly, step by step, have you tried?

Ok, Ill try to provide as much info as I can.

I have tried for formatting 1x - 2GB Stick, 1x - 4GB Stick, 1x - 32GB Stick in both FAT and FAT32.

I have tried  putting Dash1.7.1526update, renaming it to update.zip everytime.

When the unit boots into Special Operations it boots to the menu, im able to select Install Updates but the option for internet dispays "Checking Connection" (greyed out) and also Install From USB is greyed out and not selectable. The only available option is cancel.

If the unit boots normally it gives me a dash command center error.

Sorry for the confusion.....and thanks for all the help!

6 (edited by dremoto 2017-12-02 12:34:10)

I found a USB that worked! I guess its a hit or miss situation. It was a generic 8GB stick.

Key takeaway i found was.....try a bunch of different ones and make sure you fully format the stick not quick format.

The problem now is......the update was unsuccessful......asked me to restart.

Its progress through!

Does anybody have an idea why the update would finish unsuccesful? Ive tried it a few times now with the same result. Possibly bad firmware download? The version of 1.7.1526 i have is 99MB compressed. Thanks!

what's it's md5sum?

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9745

diamaunt wrote:

what's it's md5sum?

Its 35f49ae0b19aee592189297039cccd9e. I believe that is the correct one, right?

I read other posts though that the right file size is in excess of 100 MB, though. So im not certain.

That sum matches what I listed.

So, what, exactly, step by step are you doing, what do you have the file named, etc. every detail may matter.

11 (edited by dremoto 2017-12-03 14:33:50)

This is the error log for the failed install on the USB....

Fatal error in /usr/chumby/scripts/yume_update with url USB
ERROR: write integrity check for rfs1.cramfs.img failed.

Its a generic key I full formatted to FAT32.

Has said copy verified by MD5 on it.

Dash1.7.1526update.zip is the full file name of the file

OK, that error indicates a possible hardware failure with the device itself.  This would not be an issue with the USB device.

The update software copies the new firmware into the memory of the device, they reads it back again to make sure that it was written correctly by comparing it to the version on the USB drive.  It appears in your device, when it reads it back out, it's *not* exactly correct.

This would happen if the storage memory (which is NAND flash) has developed too many "bad blocks".  Memory of this type generally develops these "bad blocks" both at manufacturing and over time, so they usually have a bunch of extra blocks to substitute for them as they die.  However, if the memory develops more of these "bad blocks" than the number of extras, then it simply can't deal with it anymore and you can get this problem.  There really isn't much that can be done about them.  This is one reason we went with SD cards in later chumby units (only the chumby Classic uses NAND flash directly) - if those die (which can happen, since they're basically the same basic technology), then you can replace them easily.

Duane wrote:

OK, that error indicates a possible hardware failure with the device itself. 

This would happen if the storage memory (which is NAND flash) has developed too many "bad blocks".  Memory of this type generally develops these "bad blocks" both at manufacturing and over time, so they usually have a bunch of extra blocks to substitute for them as they die.  However, if the memory develops more of these "bad blocks" than the number of extras, then it simply can't deal with it anymore and you can get this problem.  There really isn't much that can be done about them.

The only way to fix it is by replacing the NAND chips and using a programmer sad

Owner of three C1's, Infocast 3.5, Sony Dash C10, and Infocast 8. A tinkerer at heart and IT director by trade.

I am also stuck on the 1.7.1461 Software on my Sony Dash but was able to load the Chumby Software on my Dash.  Should I be concerned that I am not running the 1.7.1526 Software.  The update option on my Dash under the Special Features is also grayed out.  Does anyone have any advise?  I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong in trying to update my Dash.  Thanks.

Geaux Tigers wrote:

I am also stuck on the 1.7.1461 Software on my Sony Dash but was able to load the Chumby Software on my Dash.  Should I be concerned that I am not running the 1.7.1526 Software.  The update option on my Dash under the Special Features is also grayed out.  Does anyone have any advise?  I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong in trying to update my Dash.  Thanks.

If the 'update' is greyed out, then the dash isn't finding an acceptable firmware update on the flash drive, either it's named wrong, or the file is invalid, or the dash isn't able to read the usb.

If you used that same usb to install the chumby patch, then it's not the last... so you're not using a file that the dash recognizes as a legit firmware file.

If things work with the chumby patch on the firmware you've got, then I guess that's fine, I don't remember what the 1526 firmware was supposed to have fixed.