Topic: Battery life on Chumby 1

Has anyone been using the battery to power a Chumby 1? How long does it last between charges?

2 (edited by demarks51 2017-11-22 13:05:12)

Re: Battery life on Chumby 1

Depending on the condition of the battery, I think the battery can last maybe 45 minutes. I am sure someone else may chime in, but that is what I remember.

I could never get the 9v on a CC to keep the unit running. The battery in the C1 seemed to work great. Enough to move it from room to room or take it outside briefly.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

The most important thing to consider is that the C1 was not supplied with a battery and so users bought a range of batteries of hugely variable quality. Because of this, it is almost impossible to answer your question with any degree of accuracy. Some people will have bought good quality batteries for their C1s, whilst others will have bought the type of cheap Chinese battery that is close to useless.
It's a long time ago now, but I do recall the C1 battery that I had lasting long enough for me to regularly take it outside to listen to internet radio. I really can't remember how long the battery lasted, but it must have been long enough to make it seem worthwhile doing it more than once. The amount of time that I would have considered sufficient would have been at least 30 minutes, but probably no longer than 2 hours.

NP-120 is the number for the battery that fits the C1. There is a wide range of mAh values. I would suggest you get the highest value possible. 2300 mAh seems to be easy to find on eBay.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I personally have not had tremendous luck with batteries in my C1. They last a year or two and sometimes swell. I have tried both name brand and not-so-name-brand. At best I ever got was a little over an hour. If you are using your Chumby as an alarm clock (I used to) it is good to have the battery in it in case of a power outage.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The battery on the C1 was designed to keep it on in lightweight situations - i.e. moving it, or holding it briefly, and to keep it alive in a AC power loss to ring the alarm in the morning.  The core function of the device (screen always on, always on the Wifi network, always processing data) makes it a poor candidate for long-term battery, notwithstanding that it's also relatively old hardware.