Re: Clock/temp/wind by ehertz

I can look into adding wind speed as an option. It is a matter of real estate with that widget.

For better or worse, I developed that widget for me, so I could see the time and temperature from the other side of my kitchen. Generally, wind speed is not that important, at least where I live in North Carolina. I can imagine that wind, and perhaps wind chill, would be more helpful in Minnesota.

Let me think about how to incorporate wind as a displayed parameter. I am glad to hear you found this app useful.

Topic: Clock/temp/wind by ehertz

That would be great if you could find the space or had time to do it. Its nice that you still look after your app here. So many seem to have abandoned them. I do like the big bold text and digits on there for the same reason you mentioned. Getting ready for work and wondering what to wear. If you can't find the room or whatever, that's fine too. It works nicely as it is.
Thanks!

3 (edited by ehertz 2017-11-03 11:36:05)

I see that OpenWeatherMap.org, the source for the weather information that this widget uses, does report wind speed and direction. Unfortunately, they do not report wind chill values.

I will see what I can get done over the weekend. What I am thinking of doing is having the temperature display be the current box, and then turning that off every few seconds and bringing forward a box to show wind information. I am also thinking of adding expected high and low temp for the day, perhaps as a third box. All of this would be an option, selectable by the user whether to display or not. I will see how all of this ends up looking.

Hi tkillday3. I posted a new widget called "Clock / Temperature / Wind" in the Clock category. (It won't appear as an available app until Duane approves it as safe, so if you don't see it, look again in a few hours.) When you get a chance, please let me know how it is working for you, and what changes you would like to see.

ehertz wrote:

Hi tkillday3. I posted a new widget called "Clock / Temperature / Wind" in the Clock category. (It won't appear as an available app until Duane approves it as safe, so if you don't see it, look again in a few hours.) When you get a chance, please let me know how it is working for you, and what changes you would like to see.

I marked it available.

http://www.chumby.com/guide/7538DA77-3A … F65/widget

It's working for me.

And a thank you, for your part in keeping the chumbys alive!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

" I posted a new widget called "Clock / Temperature / Wind" in the Clock category.."

Great!  Good to see new stuff , thanks for your effort.

Eek! After running this for a while, I saw that the refresh temperature logic is NOT working properly. My sincere apologies for posting this before testing properly. I will work to stamp out that bug and post an update in the next few days.

In the meantime, if anyone has comments on the general layout or other issues or suggestions, please let me know.

I did notice that bug. It worked the first time then got -99 for hi and lo. I thought maybe I had too many widgets loaded and maybe my chumby was running out of memory. I do like the layout and content just how you have it. Hopefully that bug can be worked out when you get time. I appreciate you working on these! Thanks!

I too am looking forward to trying out your updated widget, but I think I will wait until the bug gets worked out. I have time and seeing 99 degrees before I leave the house in the morning (still groggy) might flip me out.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Getting the exact same problem.

I modified this widget so it just shows wind speed and direction, for now. The version number is now 3.41. You can find that in very tiny type in the lower right hand corner of the screen. As with other widgets, it will not be available until it is approved by a moderator.

As for the forecast high and low temperatures, that is going to take me some more time. The issue I discovered is that openweathermap.org has two different URLs for weather data. One handles current conditions, and the second provides a 5 day forecast, with projected conditions for every three hours. Under current conditions, it has "Max Temp" and "Min Temp" parameters, which I assumed were the forecast high and low temperatures. However, upon more careful reading, I found out that those are actually the CURRENT high and low temperature readings on different temperature sensors around the area being checked. That does not help much.

Processing the forecast parameters is a little more challenging, for me anyway. It has a lot more data and takes a lot more processing to find the right values. I haven't given up on that yet, but, it will be a while before I can all of the bugs worked out.

In the meantime, let me know if you still see any issues with this new version.

I think having the time, current temp and wind speed is plenty of information for a clock widget. For a more in depth weather forecast, there are always dedicated weather widgets. I really appreciate your work on this. Thanks!

ehertz wrote:

I modified this widget so it just shows wind speed and direction, for now. The version number is now 3.41. You can find that in very tiny type in the lower right hand corner of the screen. As with other widgets, it will not be available until it is approved by a moderator.

It shows to be available, unless I'm reading the config screens wrong smile

Thanks diamaunt. This morning, at work, I noticed that the wind information seems to be quite intermittent, while it seemed to work properly in my home testing yesterday. I will try to figure out if this is a problem with the weather information supplier or if it is a bug in my code. If it is on my end, I will post an update in the next few days.

OK, I think I have the wind display finally working correctly. You should be seeing version 3.44 of Clock/Temperature/Wind download to your Chumbys after a while. Again, I need to apologize for not having a much better grasp of flash programming. I do appreciate your indulgence of my issues.

ehertz wrote:

Again, I need to apologize for not having a much better grasp of flash programming. I do appreciate your indulgence of my issues.

I think that your doing this is great, praiseworthy, not apology needing!

diamaunt wrote:
ehertz wrote:

Again, I need to apologize for not having a much better grasp of flash programming. I do appreciate your indulgence of my issues.

I think that your doing this is great, praiseworthy, not apology needing!

No kidding.  This what the community is all about and has inspired me to dust off my programming skillz and attempt to write a few of my own.  If successful I'll put them up here too.

No apology needed. We are all grateful for what you have accomplished.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

ehertz wrote:

OK, I think I have the wind display finally working correctly. You should be seeing version 3.44 of Clock/Temperature/Wind download to your Chumbys after a while. Again, I need to apologize for not having a much better grasp of flash programming. I do appreciate your indulgence of my issues.

Works for me, but I don't understand where you get the weather data? Thanks for the widget btw. I was wondering depending
on how the widget gets its data, if I could modify it to obtain weather from another zipcode. I live in D.C area but want
to see data from Wisconsin. Thanks you.

You configure the zipcode you want when you add the app, you can add multiple copies.

As diamaunt points out, the Chumby system allows you to create multiple copies of widgets, and each can be configured separately. As tkillday3 points out, you can change the widget colors to make it easy to identify when the widget is showing Washington temperatures versus Milwaukee temperatures. All of that is set when you go into the widget configuration screen when you add it to a channel, or by clicking the "customize" link on the appropriate channel's page from your Chumby dashboard on your desktop computer.

While I do appreciate everyone's positive feedback, personally, I am still upset with myself that I forgot some of the essential programming steps that I used two or three years ago to allow persistence in the widget. My memory just is not what is always should be. While I think my English is pretty good, Actionscript 2 is far from a comfortable language for me.

Works great now! Thanks for all the hard work on this. Now I can walk out in the morning and know how hard the cold is gonna hit me in the face!

ehertz wrote:

As diamaunt points out, the Chumby system allows you to create multiple copies of widgets, and each can be configured separately. As tkillday3 points out, you can change the widget colors to make it easy to identify when the widget is showing Washington temperatures versus Milwaukee temperatures. All of that is set when you go into the widget configuration screen when you add it to a channel, or by clicking the "customize" link on the appropriate channel's page from your Chumby dashboard on your desktop computer.

While I do appreciate everyone's positive feedback, personally, I am still upset with myself that I forgot some of the essential programming steps that I used two or three years ago to allow persistence in the widget. My memory just is not what is always should be. While I think my English is pretty good, Actionscript 2 is far from a comfortable language for me.

Thanks for the instructions and the widget! The temp and wind is correct but the time stays to my time which is 1 hour ahead of Wisconsin ?? I CAN live with that. For sure, thanks and keep those telomeres regenerating.

Just to be sure I understand eastdiamond, you want the clock to reflect the time in the time zone corresponding to where the temperature is being read. In other words, if you are in the Eastern time zone (Washington DC), and you ware looking at a temperature in the Central time zone (Milwaukee), if the time is 10:00 AM in Washington, you want the clock to display 9:00 AM to correspond to the correct time in Milwaukee. Is that correct?

That definitely would take more configuration than I put into the widget. At this point, I do not know of any Clock widgets that allow you to specify a time zone other than the one on your Chumby. Perhaps someone else does and can suggest that widget?

openweathermap.org does provide a timezone parameter. However, it is listed as a "Prototype Parameter" and when I took a look at it for my location, it just gives a blank result. So I could not use that to make an automatic adjustment to the displayed time. I suppose I could have a field on the configuration screen that allows a time zone offset parameter, like -1 if you want to see Milwaukee time while in Washington. This does get back to the real estate question on the configuration screen, which I already don't like, because it is getting kind of crowded.

Unless I hear more feedback asking for this option, I do not plan to do anything about it.

I figured your widget deserved it's own topic, instead of 'weather bug' so I split off the discussion smile