Topic: Can't access ssh from hidden control panel

I've followed the instructions for getting to the hidden control panel by going menu->settings->device info->pi symbol.  And I do get a screen that the says "Do you believe in the users?" together with options for SSHD, Reboot and Done.  But pressing SSHD just cause an image of Octy to pop up and float by for about a second and then nothing.

Is there a step I'm missing?  Do I have to do something to enable this feature?  Any help is appreciated.

Re: Can't access ssh from hidden control panel

That button starts up the SSH *server* on the device.  You'll need an *SSH* client to then log into the device.  The name of the SSH server daemon on the device is "sshd", hence the label on the button.  The winking chumby icon indicates that the daemon has been launched.

For instance on a Mac, you'd just open up a Terminal window, then type 'ssh <ip of your chumby> -l root" and you'd get a shell for the device.

Another way to launch the SSHD is to boot the device with a USB dongle containing an empty file named "start_sshd".

Here's the wiki page:

https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title … the_chumby

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks.  I downloaded Putty and was able to connect and execute come commands. smile