Re: UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH

So I gave my dash and the Chumby website to a friend that does some IT. Within 30 minutes he had unbricked my Dash. I definitely was getting things loaded on the stick wrong. A picture of the list and the order of things on the USB would be very helpful. Im not sure how to put pics on here, so it'd have to be someone else. Anyways now all 3 of my Dashes are running on the new Chumby system. Its so great to have my Dashes back. Thanks guys!!!

BADMAV302 wrote:

So I gave my dash and the Chumby website to a friend that does some IT. Within 30 minutes he had unbricked my Dash. I definitely was getting things loaded on the stick wrong. A picture of the list and the order of things on the USB would be very helpful. Im not sure how to put pics on here, so it'd have to be someone else. Anyways now all 3 of my Dashes are running on the new Chumby system. Its so great to have my Dashes back. Thanks guys!!!

There's a picture in the initial post on this thread.

There is no order, when you look at the contents, the program that you use to display the contents of the drive sorts them in whatever order you asked for the display.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

153 (edited by guentjo 2017-08-23 11:57:15)

This is awesome.  I wonder why this took so long.  When the Dash first started to fail a year or so ago I looked everywhere for a solution.  Thanks for making it happen.

Keep up the good work.  The fan base may be small, but it's excited.

I successfully chumbyized my unbricked dash and tried to create a channel of newsfeeds. The Reuters and Huffington feeds seem not to load; BBC and Google do load.  The functionality of reading the corresponding articles that used to exist in the Dash (when it worked) isn’t there. Am I doing something wrong?

guentjo wrote:

This is awesome.  I wonder why this took so long.  When the Dash first started to fail a year or so ago I looked everywhere for a solution.  Thanks for making it happen.

Keep up the good work.  The fan base may be small, but it's excited.

There was no need to unbrick the dash before now.

156 (edited by Monroe 2017-08-23 18:22:42)

Uuh  yea, you guys deserve medals.  Ive been following everything since the getgo and the process needed to chumbify the dash is flawless.

...not to mention that chumbifying the dash was possible at all. 

I cannot believe for the life of me how sony could suck wind so badly.  You guys literally brought  this brick back to being usable.  Sony owes you guys huge for keeping their name from being complete Mud.

For those that dont subscribe, you absolutly need a donation option on your site or way for some users to be able to contribute something to your efforts.
*also, instead of subscribing per month, can we pay you a year upfront?

Well done fellas.  110% WELL DONE. THANKYOU.

Monroe wrote:

For those that dont subscribe, you absolutly need a donation option on your site or way for some users to be able to contribute something to your efforts.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9703

Monroe wrote:

*also, instead of subscribing per month, can we pay you a year upfront?

That's being worked on, it was one of the projects that got put on hold with Sony's abrupt exit from the field.

Thank you!!
I used the unbrick image and it worked perfectly.
Then I converted by Dash to run Chumby, and I love it.
Thanks, again!

My dash now freezes after about 15 minutes of successful operation. After unplugging and restarting, it loads as normal, but then freezes again. Is there a solution to this problem?

just installed the new Chumby software..no problem.....and subscribed to the service.....happy to have my Dash back and functioning.....thanks so much for making this happen....you guys rock!!

161 (edited by SeerWhoSees 2017-10-14 14:12:21)

It didn't work for Me.  I am going to have to find another USB jigamajig.  Anyone have any suggestions in regard to the correct one to purchase?

SeerWhoSees wrote:

It didn't work for Me.  I am going to have to find another USB jigamajig.  Anyone have any suggestions in regard to the correct one to purchase?

When we were  testing the unbricker process, I tried to make some sense of reported working and non-working usb sticks, and I couldn't find any pattern.

There were reports of successes and failures on large, small, no-name, namebrand... all.

diamaunt wrote:
SeerWhoSees wrote:

failuresscsi/changer/c3t5000E1115021A002d1 on large, small, no-name, namebrand... all.

What? lol.

I got the blue dots but it just went back to the connect to network/clock screen again.

SeerWhoSees wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
SeerWhoSees wrote:

failuresscsi/changer/c3t5000E1115021A002d1 on large, small, no-name, namebrand... all.

What? lol.

I got the blue dots but it just went back to the connect to network/clock screen again.

Sorry, my finger must have brushed the 'paste' spot on my trackpad while I was typing, and I didn't notice.  I corrected the original message.

What blue dots?

what connect to network/clock screen?

If your dash isn't ending up with SONY and flashing SONY light, then it's not bricked, and using the unbricker isn't appropriate.

Hello, I have spent a couple of days trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I never get the SO UI to come up, instead I get Press Menu Key to upgrade firmware. When I press it, it search for the firmware but comes up with No Upgrade firmware found. I have tried 7 different USB stick, and they blink when it search for the firmware. I compared the files I have to the one you have on the original post and they match up exactly with name and size when I run the cmd. I compared the firmware and get the 35f49ae0b19aee592189297039cccd9e from md5sum. I want to say it something I am doing with the files but don't know what it is. Any help would be great.

Thanks

If you can press a key, then all you need on the drive is the update.zip file.

open a cmd prompt window and do a 'dir' on the usb stick, check the name of the file, (as mentioned in the first post.

What version of firmware do you have on it now?

What model dash is it?

diamaunt wrote:

If you can press a key, then all you need on the drive is the update.zip file.

open a cmd prompt window and do a 'dir' on the usb stick, check the name of the file, (as mentioned in the first post.

What version of firmware do you have on it now?

What model dash is it?

I ran the cmd prompt and all the names match up. Firmware is 1.8.50 and Model is HID-B70. Reason why I want to roll back the firmware is because now it stuck on the authorizing screen. Can not even use it as a clock now.

Thanks

angelcarlos1 wrote:

Model is HID-B70. Reason why I want to roll back the firmware is because now it stuck on the authorizing screen. Can not even use it as a clock now.

We don't have a fix for the B70 yet, because it's very different internally than the C10.

Changing the firmware won't help the issue you're having.

hello...I can't find the update.zip file anywhere...could someone please direct me?  thank you so much!

jiggy wrote:

hello...I can't find the update.zip file anywhere...could someone please direct me?  thank you so much!

The very first post in this thread has the download link.

I have all the files and they aren't corrupted, and I found an old 256MB USB stick where the light comes on when inserted in my Dash.

But I never get the dots during boot - while pressing the snooze button I do get a brief "Software update in progress..." then the screen goes dark, the USB stick light flashes twice before going solid, and then we are back in "brick mode" with the Sony logo on the main screen, and flashing in the frame.

Is that a completely dead unit?  I can't seem to get the dots anymore.

MPW1971 wrote:

I have all the files and they aren't corrupted, and I found an old 256MB USB stick where the light comes on when inserted in my Dash.

But I never get the dots during boot - while pressing the snooze button I do get a brief "Software update in progress..." then the screen goes dark, the USB stick light flashes twice before going solid, and then we are back in "brick mode" with the Sony logo on the main screen, and flashing in the frame.

Sounds like you don't have the right update.zip file, or it's not named the right thing,

I was hoping to upload images of the ZIP file contents and USB stick directory, but I can't post any links....

I checked the md5sum of each file and it's good, but I still can't be 100% sure of the USB stick.  Can anyone recommend a brand/size of USB stick that I can buy online and try?  Spending a few $ now can't hurt, after everything else.

Have you checked the *name* of the update.zip file as shown in the instructions back on page 1?

diamaunt wrote:

Have you checked the *name* of the update.zip file as shown in the instructions back on page 1?

Yeah, I'm good with that too.  Waiting to borrow some different USB sticks and try those...