Topic: Web Page's Poor Respect for Capitilization

On all the your sub headings, some of which are complete questions do not start with a capital letter.  Personally I find this annoying as it is like I started reading in the middle of a sentence.  Does Chumby.com have no respect for capitalization or am I missing some "Questions that are orange" do not start with a capital letter rule?

Feels like I'm reading some lazy person's web diary, not a professional company's website.

Re: Web Page's Poor Respect for Capitilization

I'm sorry you're having such difficulty.   I'll pass your comments on to the designer.

It's not difficult, but it's an unnecessary mental strain, very similiar to writing in all caps.  A study have shown people read slower on all caps and with missing caps.  Proper capitalization was created for a reason, as without it the brain has a harder time parsing sentences which is why it is considered rude to disregard it.

I'm very curious about that study - do you have a link?

Most of the world uses written systems that have no notion of capitalization whatsoever, and even some languages with Western alphabets have radically different capitalization rules than English.  For instance, take a look at book titles in France, or your typical German sentence. Even *English* has changed its rules over time.

But to your point, it's just a style thing.  I sometimes find it annoying myself, not so much where you do, but rather in the names of widgets.

those of us who program in c rarely use uppercase either - perhaps a heritage thing...

seriously, you might notice that most of those orange letters are headlines, not complete sentences anyhow.  capitalization rules don't necessarily make sense there anyhow.  its a style thing. 

i think it kind of nicely fits the image of the chumby.  i like it

dnkorte wrote:

i think it kind of nicely fits the image of the chumby.  i like it

I think lazy, mentally difficult to use and unprofessional is not a style a company should strive for.  I know they are trying to be hip and cool, and thats fine as long as doesn't annoy people.

If all their "headlines" were single words, I wouldn't complain, but when they put entire sentences that way I complain.

Somehow I wasn't surprised you liked it. lol

jhaluska wrote:

I think lazy, mentally difficult to use and unprofessional is not a style a company should strive for.

Well, considering we're pretty much all lazy, mentally difficult to use and unprofessional around here, I think it's quite apt.

Just a matter of opinion really, To infer character traits based on one preferential writing styles is iffy at best. I personally didn't notice, but can understand how some people like capitalization and punctuation.  But again, to imply that a lack of use of capital letters = lazy is not a direct connection.

Duane wrote:

Well, considering we're pretty much all lazy, mentally difficult to use and unprofessional around here, I think it's quite apt.

Don't forget self depreciating. tongue

*cues Steve to make Chumby Inc sound professional*

here's a start, pipe our web site thru the following perl recipe

s/(\w+)/\u$1/g;

that will capitalize every word in the sentence.  how to make it
only capitalize the first word is an exercise left for the reader.

/mdkail, typing in lower-case since 1990

wHaTeVEr!

Some of the complaints coming through here are getting ridiculous.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

/me nods

(|-|U/\/\B'/    0\/\/|\|Z