1 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-09 17:42:36)

Topic: LaCrosse weather direct units closing down Aug 31

Just got email that LaCrosse is closing down support for weather direct devices. I have several of these and used them many years. They are going with a WiFi based weather display system. They will be offering special deal to their loyal customers ( like me) on the new and improved system. Sound familiar? So my 5 WD units will end in the landfill sometime in Sept. Out with the old, in with the new. Anyone want these dinosaurs?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: LaCrosse weather direct units closing down Aug 31

Here is what I got from Lacrosse:

Dear Weather Direct user,
If you are currently utilizing a WD-Series or WA-Series (Model # begins with WD- or WA-) weather station to receive forecasts, please read on for important information about your station.   If you do not have one of these stations, check out the information that follows about our new weather stations launching this fall. 
La Crosse Technology is happy to announce the introduction of our latest wireless weather stations with built in WiFi this fall.  These new weather stations will include several exciting features that take advantage of the Wifi connectivity and include a new free APP (La Crosse View) for remote monitoring. 

We appreciate your loyalty to our legacy Weather Direct station.  Over the past 5 years we have listened to thousands of customer's requests for new features and technology in their connected weather stations.  As a result we are confident the new La Crosse Technology weather stations, in conjunction with the La Crosse View APP, will exceed customer expectations.  As we transition to the La Crosse View platform, it is important to focus our attention on our new system.  Therefore, to ensure the best user experience, we are shifting our resources from our legacy Weather Direct forecast service to the new La Crosse View platform and our Weather Direct forecast service only will be discontinued August 31, 2017.   

However, as a long time user of our Weather Direct system, you will receive a special offer on a new La Crosse Technology weather station with the free La Crosse View APP when it is released in the near future.   
Sincerely,
La Crosse Technology

In other words, we are making the hardware you purchased from us obsolete and turning it into a brick. Please buy our new shiny hardware. We promise it is much better and has more stuff. Don't worry about us making the new shiny obsolete.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

4 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-10 12:43:41)

That's about it.

Wish there was a workaround. WD was kinda clunky in that you had a piece of hardware connected to the internet by Ethernet cord that then broadcasts the info to the display. You had to activate #1hardware first and then add as many as you want displays around the house (which I did). I had just one outdoor temp gauge that relayed to all the displays. The rest of the weather came from Weather Nation or the like. You would have to select what city you wanted (and even specific area of the town). Some of the units had audio available for forecasts and other rss reader apps.

sorry to hear, neat little gadget.

I have one too.  I look at it everyday.

7 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-17 09:46:13)

Very good news! Lacrosse is going to send me a New Lacrosse View weather gadget for free and a coupon for 50% off of an additional unit it I would like to purchase another one. I told them I had 5 Weather Direct units who will be tossed in the garbage sometime after August 31st. So the CS person was able to give me a free unit. I would suggest you call them for yourself and persuade them to offer you a free unit as well.
Call: 608-785-7935

Do you know what model # you are getting free?

Lacrosse View coming out in the fall. Msrp is $100. Didn't say what model #.

10 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-29 12:56:37)

Closing in on the drop dead day. Lacrosse (according to their email) says the 31st is the end. Funny thing is that I can't find any other confirmation (other than the email I posted) that Lacrosse is pulling the plug. Anyone else find anything?

Update: http://www.weatherdirect.com/

11 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-30 18:50:26)

Tomorrow is the last day of Weather Direct. Can you believe the nerve of LaCrosse? smile

Mine still appears to be working as of 9/5/17.

Same here

Weather direct  units still working as of 09/20/17. Did Lacrosse Technologies forget to pull the plug? Or their new, improved model was just not quite ready to roll out yet? I have not gotten my email to receive my free upgraded weather gadget. ???

Ditto as of 09/26/17

Got some surprising news from Lacrosse:
Hello Dennis,

Thank you for reaching out.  While we have stopped supporting the forecast feature it is still functioning.

Regarding the new units, all is great but the product has not arrived to us yet preventing us from sending you your e-mail/coupon.  I am very hopeful that the product will be arriving soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Sarah
La Crosse Technology

Thanks for the update.  I am happy to report that mine is still working.

Another email from Lacrosse:
Hi Dennis,

Yes, I do find you on our list to receive a free unit. 

La Crosse Technology technically has stopped the service, Weather Direct just has not stopped sending the data feed.  You will find no more improvements to that system.  The audio feature was shut off several years ago.

Sincerely,

Sarah
La Crosse Technology

I asked her if there was an time when WD would not be sending info. No answer yet.

One more email from Lacrosse:

Hello Dennis,

The planned time for the units to stop receiving data was 09/01.  We are unaware of when the data will stop being feed.  Yes, the units will just work as they are for now, until Weather Direct makes the change.  Again, we stopped supported the stations and forecast feature on 09/01. 

Sincerely,

Sarah
La Crosse Technology

20 (edited by demarks51 2017-10-10 14:11:49)

I think Lacrosse finally turned the Weather Direct system off. No more info coming through for my 5 units. Tried resetting and reregistering but I think time is up. Wonder if Gateway can still be used to work with their new phone app. http://www.lacrossealertsmobile.com/

Update: Called Lacrosse has assured me that the ERF 100 Gateway is still useful to connect their Lacrosse Alerts Mobile system. All the Weather Direct displays are useless as of now. They did give a discount to me to purchase a TX60u-IT remote sensor. This way I can get outdoor temp and humidity on my cell app. You can sync several remote sensors to each gateway.
I will be able to sell some of my ERF 100s that I have in my drawer that are in new/near new shape and pay for the discounted sensor. Check the Market for these items once I do inventory. I know I probably have at least two gateways. One has never been used.

Looks like mine quit updating.  Would you suggest I call Lacrosse or email Sarah?  If email, do you have her address?

22 (edited by demarks51 2017-10-12 12:33:08)

sarah@lacrossetechnology.com
You know the gateway is still useful with the Lacrosse Alert Mobile app. I deregistered the gateway and registered with the other system. I am waiting to get the tx60u-it outdoor sensor that has been shipped. I got a 45% discount for being a loyal customer. Call 608-785-7920 and connect with these people. He offered the discount up front. With the sensor you can monitor the temp and humidity from anywhere. You can use/monitor multiple sensors. (hot tubs, wine cellars, sensitive areas, whatever). You just register the gateway and then connect/sync the sensor(s) and you have line item for each sensor on the app. There are optional things like leak detection or and temp gauge (like for a freezer). You can check it out at: http://www.lacrossealertsmobile.com/

Got my LcCrosse tx60u-it outdoor sensor today and set it up. Gives temp and humidity for outside. I put it just outside my front door. Just in time for the cooler weather. 72 degree and 47% humidity. Nice! I can see it anywhere from my phone app. Optional probe can be added for like a freezer or pet area.

Still have two ERF 100 gateways for sale or trade.

24 (edited by demarks51 2017-11-14 13:52:33)

Received my weather station from Lacrosse. Very cool looking. It is a $150 priced unit. They sent it to me for free for being a loyal customer. I will need to take the time to set it up. Wind speed sensor. Rain gauge. Temp and humidity and I don't know what else. It has an indoor color display that plots everything. WHOA! I can't seem to find it in the Lacrosse Store yet. Says "coming 2018".
Well that  was a nice gesture.
AND I have a 40% off coupon code for anything in their store.

Update: here is a page about it: https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/v22- … logy%2Ecom

That's a nice looking unit.  I really like the ability to ingest NWS forecasts.  May be time to upgrade my trusty but getting old Ambient WS-2080.