Topic: Infocast fail

My sweet little I3 just bit the dust. It the power cable I think. I need a cheap fix for this. Does anyone have an extra power cord to sell me? I can salvage the tip if I can get the plugin part.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: Infocast fail

All you need is another 5v 2000mA power supply, and graft the tip from your current one onto it.  It shouldn't be too hard to find.

This one would work.

3 (edited by demarks51 2017-09-08 10:06:17)

What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-2000mA-Re … B005CVNH1Q
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-100V-240V-Co … zfvStv7x0Q

The specs look correct, I don't have any experience with that brand.  For the price, probably worth a try, especially if you have Prime.

Amazon sellers have a somewhat spotty record on this sort of thing - it's not uncommon to get a power supply that doesn't match the advertised specs, so be sure to check the label when you get it.

Thanks so much.

I'm using a USB power supply and one of these cables on one of my chumby one's.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

7 (edited by Plank 2017-09-09 05:51:04)

Thanks for the USB link. Great idea and cheap.  I just ordered two.  I hope it works better and lasts longer than the original power supply.  I've got a bunch of various USB plugs laying around.  Does it matter what volts or amps are safe to use?

Plank wrote:

Thanks for the USB link. Great idea and cheap.  I just ordered two.  I hope it works better and lasts longer than the original power supply.  I've got a bunch of various USB plugs laying around.  Does it matter what volts or amps are safe to use?

There was a problem with capacitors in many things, not just chumby power supplies, back around the time that the c1/i3 power supplies were produced.  Unfortunately, it didn't come to light until well after things were in consumers hands.  It is relatively easy to repair the c1/i3 power supplies if you have a soldering iron.  There are instructions in the wiki.

The usb cords seem to be of good quality,  So the longevity is up to the usb adapter you use. 

All USB is 5 volts, and to power the c1/i3, it needs to be 2amps (or better) (which also works out to 10 watts, sometimes you'll see either 2a or 10watt on the power supply)  The c1 on my headboard is plugged into one of those anker 5 port usb chargers, along with a tablet, phone and ebook reader smile

Definitely is ps of i3. Tried another ps from i3 I just acquired. Works great. Waiting for hardware to fix soon. Goody!

10 (edited by demarks51 2017-09-19 12:31:54)

Strange thing. I retried the Power Supply for the i3 that I thought was having problems and it works now. It has been going for 18 hours or so. I guess I will just use it until it goes out again. Electronics can be very mysterious.

BTW
I have another power supply in my collection that states 5v 200mA. Will that work? It will need the tip replaced to plug into the i3 but wanting to know if it will work before morphing it.
I guess it needs 2000mA (or 2a) not 200mA.
Would this one work? https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-2000mah-A … y+5V+DC+2A
Barrel may be a little big. 2.5mm instead of 2.2mm needed.

diamaunt wrote:

I'm using a USB power supply and one of these cables on one of my chumby one's.

I just received my new cable and it seems too tight.  Did you force it in?  I am afraid I might damage the chumby.

The ones I got fit just like the stock power supply plug.

Strange thing. My misbehaving I3 was plugged in again and it has been working as though nothing bad had happened.???? It has been weeks now and no problems. I have replacement parts now just in case.