1 (edited by jhonryan 2017-09-09 22:20:56)

Topic: Getting the most out of ImageURL

So, after getting my dash resurrected I got my daughter a chumby.  The problem is that it's a tiny screen.
Daughter wanted it to be something like a "digital picture frame" that also told the time and was an alarm clock.  Well, if it's not showing the clock you don't know what TIME it is.

So I re-sized all her pics to ~800x600 scale and wrote a PHP script to randomly show her pics -- but I process them through imagettftext first with the time.

The results are pretty good.  I picked an ugly "green" color for the time because it pretty much is visible on every pic.

https://ibb.co/d9tKDa

Re: Getting the most out of ImageURL

The i8 and the c8 are better/created for picture frame purposes. Clock overlays are customisable. If you have photobucket (paid version) you can see pics on slide shows w/clock

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

The i8 and the c8 are better/created for picture frame purposes. Clock overlays are customisable. If you have photobucket (paid version) you can see pics on slide shows w/clock

I got the chumby cheap (ebay).  I'm not willing to pay $100+ for an alarm clock.  Even my Dash I paid $49 for at a fire sale years ago.

I'm happy to work within the box I've placed myself.  Daughter is happy and all it took me was about 15 mins of time (on top of the cost of the chumby). 

That's not to say I wouldn't jump on the chance to get an I8 if I found one for a price I'd be willing to pay...

I try to check out ebay from time to time and once in a while you can get a good deal on a bigger chumby. The little guys are very useful and the pictures look good on them. Don't get me wrong.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

I try to check out ebay from time to time and once in a while you can get a good deal on a bigger chumby. The little guys are very useful and the pictures look good on them. Don't get me wrong.

At least once a week I do the same thing.  Saw an I8 starting at $49 and almost pulled the trigger -- but seller was too new.  Maybe eventually.