Re: Duane! Diamaunt! Y'all are AWESOME!

Thank you so much for your hard work for getting my 2 devices working again.  All updates went well and configured I am back to having it turned back on to the clock and weather I subscribed and payed to your site and will continue as long as you keep it up so I can use this device because it is useful and I cant see the echo show yet being the standard facto yet.  I  rely like the on Sony for what it does, I don't need voice stuff. Keep rocking with this, I am another IT guy loving what you do.

just got the dash update screen today and figured it was a trick so googled it and found your forum.so glad i did now my dash is still active so thanks so much for saving my dash.tried the echo and the show as replacement but in my opinion they aren't as good.thanks again to everyone involved in the fix

All I can say is FANTASTIC!!!!!

diamaunt wrote:

A couple bits of black tape could make that happen big_smile

There's only one LED behind there, with a light pipe bringing it out to the front.

I know...  I took it apart a number of years ago to see if there were any bits I could salvage for other projects.  Turns out when I put it back together, turned it on and registered it I LIKED how it worked.

I'm glad I have a healthy chunk of functionality back.

diamaunt wrote:
jhonryan wrote:
englishmandan wrote:

Although Sony sucks for doing this to us, I would still like that to light up.

It'd be cool if it could just light up the "O" and the "N".

A couple bits of black tape could make that happen big_smile

There's only one LED behind there, with a light pipe bringing it out to the front.

How easy is it to disassemble a Dash? I have never seen one in person. It might be fun to mod the case. I guess I should finish my last Chumby one first...

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Thanks so much, I am disabled on limited income but did buy a chumby sticker to show my support as this was the only way I saw to donate.

Got my 3rd one done at the office today...what a breath of fresh air! Even customers have said what a nice, clean looking interface it is, and asked where they could buy one! Told em its a hot commodity right now, but search the usual places! Thanks again guys! All seems great! Will venture out with some new apps as I can!

33 (edited by riblet2000 2017-08-08 08:29:54)

alphabeta22 wrote:

Told em its a hot commodity right now

Imagine what it could be if Sony hadn't lost interest so soon.

On the other hand, had they not orphaned the thing we wouldn't have been assimilated into the Chumbysphere. wink

+1000
You guys are awesome!

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

How easy is it to disassemble a Dash? I have never seen one in person. It might be fun to mod the case. I guess I should finish my last Chumby one first...

It's a bit fiddly, the screws are hidden, two behind the serial number sticker, and two at the top of the back, behind the huge shiny sticker, (which I didn't realize was a sticker at first) up at the top corners behind the grill. 

Then there are a couple fairly short ribbon cables connecting the digitizer and display to the board,  and a wire or two.

Be careful with the ribbon cable connectors on the board, they are different types, one's what I consider the standard with the little lip that flips up over the cable, and the other is a type I hadn't seen before, at least in my dash... and I broke it.  It sat on my workbench in pieces for a year or so, because I just wasn't that interested, since it was all closed up tight by Sony...

When Duane decided to rescue the Dashes, I set about re-assembling it, some work with tweezers in both hands, and a couple dabs of Bondic(tm) and it was working again. 

Just be careful and very gentle with the ribbon connectors.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

It's a bit fiddly, the screws are hidden, two behind the serial number sticker, and two at the top of the back, behind the huge shiny sticker, (which I didn't realize was a sticker at first) up at the top corners behind the grill. 

Then there are a couple fairly short ribbon cables connecting the digitizer and display to the board,  and a wire or two.

Be careful with the ribbon cable connectors on the board, they are different types, one's what I consider the standard with the little lip that flips up over the cable, and the other is a type I hadn't seen before, at least in my dash... and I broke it.  It sat on my workbench in pieces for a year or so, because I just wasn't that interested, since it was all closed up tight by Sony...

When Duane decided to rescue the Dashes, I set about re-assembling it, some work with tweezers in both hands, and a couple dabs of Bondic(tm) and it was working again. 

Just be careful and very gentle with the ribbon connectors.

Thanks for that. I was thinking about getting a Dash to tinker with but I may stick with Chumbys.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

riblet2000 wrote:
alphabeta22 wrote:

Told em its a hot commodity right now

Imagine what it could be if Sony hadn't lost interest so soon.

On the other hand, had they not orphaned the thing we wouldn't have been assimilated into the Chumbysphere. wink

I think I like it better as a Chumdash than just the old dash!

I resisted Sony's new FW by keeping the Dash in night mode waiting for your Chumby software. Loaded it on Friday night and can't thank you guys enough. I'll be exploring all the features and at some point look into the subscription option. I'm curious to know what kind of video files will play, ie: Xvid, MKV, etc.

tomalex2017 wrote:

I resisted Sony's new FW by keeping the Dash in night mode waiting for your Chumby software. Loaded it on Friday night and can't thank you guys enough. I'll be exploring all the features and at some point look into the subscription option. I'm curious to know what kind of video files will play, ie: Xvid, MKV, etc.

I just watched The Blues Brothers on my Dash.  MP4.  I ripped this about 10+ years ago converting my DVDs to video files.

Only gripe is there no fast forward or slider.  Same is true for the audio player (which appear to be one in the same).  Otherwise it works fine.

Leaves open the possibility of setting up a symbolic link to my media folder. 

Honestly, no idea why I'm even bothering.  I'll likely not use my dash for watching movies or listening to music -- probably just probing how far I can push the thing...

jhonryan wrote:
tomalex2017 wrote:

...Honestly, no idea why I'm even bothering.  I'll likely not use my dash for watching movies or listening to music -- probably just probing how far I can push the thing...

Thanks, that's probably how I feel about it in 2017 also.

jhonryan wrote:

- probably just probing how far I can push the thing...

that's exactly it smile

THANK YOU!!!!!

I just came back from vacation to find our master bedroom ruined by a water leak. We're getting things cleaned up, so I decided to spend some time with getting our Dashes setup with Chumby. THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY. It was quite the pick me up.

The dashboard is awesome! I will be a subscriber for life.

Just wanted to say thanks for bringing my Dash back to life, twice, once with an unbrick (I almost gave up, contacted sony, got the speaker...but couldn't bring myself to throwing it away...was going to start looking at how to autorun something as I figured it would be the only way with the touchscreen disabled, and you guys figured it out!), and now with Chumby software. I also loaded the old Sony Theme back on, and now you wouldn't know anything is different than what it was before Sony killed it off! Thank you!

Woohoo! Its ALIIIIIIVE!!!!

Thanks Gentlemen, well done.
You guys ROCK!!

Thank you!  I've subscribed although I don't really use any of the apps.  I'd like to support the work you have done to revive the Dash.

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! The Chumbyfication of 4 Dashes took less than an hour - install, activation, set up and reinstallation in their previous spots! It may seem silly but my house seems alive again ...

Thanks Guys! This'll be the best 3 bucks a month I'll ever spend!

madunning wrote:

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! The Chumbyfication of 4 Dashes took less than an hour - install, activation, set up and reinstallation in their previous spots! It may seem silly but my house seems alive again ...

Thanks Guys! This'll be the best 3 bucks a month I'll ever spend!

It's always nice to hear from a happy chum. smile

Awesome indeed!  Thank you. Thank you.  This made my day.  Just subscribed.   Cheers!

I finally updated my Dash today with the Chumby files and just wanted to echo the "AWESOME" comment and add my thanks.  I rarely use my Dash, once in a while I use Blue Octy to listen to NPR or see what the temperature is but the low power clock is a fixture and I'd miss it terribly. Maybe I'll get around to grabbing the old theme but for now, I'm happy. (And I've donated a little via stickers.)

So there was weeping the other night. I tried "Shoutcast Radio" for the first time ... It took 15 seconds to type in "Gregorian" and get a station that is as good or better than my Gregorian Pandora station. I've learned to keep my phone by close with Shazam in case a song I want to learn more about comes on ... My Chumby Dash is TOTALLY better than the Sony Version.

I wept for happy.