Topic: Disable Microphone on Sony Dash

Is there a way to disable the microphone on the Sony Dash?

Re: Disable Microphone on Sony Dash

Is someone listening through your Dash? Ssh!

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

sjspitalli wrote:

Is there a way to disable the microphone on the Sony Dash?

I suggest tape....

but you'd have to enable it first, to make it worth it.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Tinfoil hat or not, whenever I have one of my Chumbies apart I unplug the microphone.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

sjspitalli wrote:

I had a tinfoil hat but the plants were still able to read my thoughts and I figured it was happening through the Dash because it's listening to me.

Seriously, the microphone was never enabled on these things? What was the point?

Possible future expansion?  Kind of hard to do things with a microphone if it doesn't exist on the device.

What's the point now?  None at all.  Whatever "future" plans sony had for dash were pretty much gone by the end of 2010.

You can stream audio from the chumby microphone's, through the built in web server.  It's come in handy a few times as a remote monitor. 

But you have to ssh in and set it up... it's not a "default on" sort of thing.

sjspitalli wrote:

So you're saying if somebody has ssh access they can access the microphone and listen to whatever it picks up? I suppose that's probably true for my rooted Samsung tablet and anything else. I'm just going to keep the stereo really loud like in the mob movies when the room is bugged.

Yes, you are correct. Thats part of the reason that chumby devices (chumby, infocast, dash) should always be behind a router, protected from the wilderness of the internet. 

Also, if you're actually concerned, just don't enable ssh... It is off by default.

Here's an old post on how to stream audio from the mic on one chumby to the speakers on another on the same LAN.  I have no idea whether it will work on the dash:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=22737#p22737

Three posts down from there is another method using ssh from the receiving device.