Topic: Alexa Show, could this be the sucessor to the Sony Dash?

I have been watching a number of interesting articles and you-tubes on the new Alexa Show.  Currently I have an Amazon Echo which I can say is a really handy product, really worth its cost.  Since I was really happy with the echo I started looking at the Alexa Show a month or so ago as a replacement for my Sony Dash that became a door stop with the latest toxic sony firmware.

I have since successfully downgraded to the old firmware (thanks to Duane/Chumby)  and have the unit running on the new LCARS dashboard software.   Now that the Dash is somewhat online again I think I have bought some time to see how things work out on reborn dash and what Duane and company will do to keep the Dash alive.

As far as the Show is concerned I thought is was interesting the approach Amazon took with it, no doubt they took some queues from the Dash as the Show closely resembles it.  I must say my Echo has proven to be a fantastic device with its voice command system. It seems Amazon adds new skills to it almost daily.  If the Show works as well as the Echo it seems it could be a good successor to the Dash and maybe another opportunity for Chumby.

One thing about the future and technology, the latest and greatest device is usually tomorrows junk. The only saving grace is how long it provided a useful function before it became useless.

We shall see how the Dash and the Show will shake out...

Re: Alexa Show, could this be the sucessor to the Sony Dash?

$230 for what, exactly?   The Show looks like a neat toy but it addresses an entirely different market than the Dash.

Nomad wrote:

I have been watching a number of interesting articles and you-tubes on the new Alexa Show.  Currently I have an Amazon Echo which I can say is a really handy product, really worth its cost.  Since I was really happy with the echo I started looking at the Alexa Show a month or so ago as a replacement for my Sony Dash that became a door stop with the latest toxic sony firmware.

I have since successfully downgraded to the old firmware (thanks to Duane/Chumby)  and have the unit running on the new LCARS dashboard software.   Now that the Dash is somewhat online again I think I have bought some time to see how things work out on reborn dash and what Duane and company will do to keep the Dash alive.

As far as the Show is concerned I thought is was interesting the approach Amazon took with it, no doubt they took some queues from the Dash as the Show closely resembles it.  I must say my Echo has proven to be a fantastic device with its voice command system. It seems Amazon adds new skills to it almost daily.  If the Show works as well as the Echo it seems it could be a good successor to the Dash and maybe another opportunity for Chumby.

One thing about the future and technology, the latest and greatest device is usually tomorrows junk. The only saving grace is how long it provided a useful function before it became useless.

We shall see how the Dash and the Show will shake out...

I have the Show and 3 Chumdashes. I replaced SonyDash with Show while Duane was doing his thing. The Show sits right above the sink on the windows sill where the SonyDash was for 7 years. I just told my wife this morning that the Show does not give me the passive
app rotation that keeps me occupied while at the sink. I have moved the Chumdash back to its happy place and mine. And let the Show find a useful spot.

I got a Show the day it was released and sent it back less than a week later. The screen was mostly useless except when you are barking "Alexa!" at it all the time which got exhausting. 30 second app rotation on the Dash is 100 times more useful to me.