Topic: Dash still works from Sony server

I was just about to update my 2 Dashes to the Chumby firmware and noticed that they still function in the same state as before the April 2017 announcement for not longer supporting them beyond July. Some of the cheesy apps still work and it even allowed me to add an app to the default channel. Netflix, Crackle, and some German Videos still work. For music, Pandora and Slacker still work. I am on the 1.7.1526 firmware.

So, until Sony cuts me off (which could happen any day), why would I want to move over to the Chumby site? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I could not find it in the list of active topics.

Re: Dash still works from Sony server

Sounds like you don't have any reason to switch, which is totally fine.

3 (edited by jhonryan 2017-08-16 07:31:26)

winhot wrote:

So, until Sony cuts me off (which could happen any day), why would I want to move over to the Chumby site? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I could not find it in the list of active topics.

I debated the same thing and decided to take the jump before I got pushed off the plane.

I honestly hadn't used ANY of the other services (netflix, pandora, et al) in years until I got the July notice -- then I started watching a few things on Netflix -- just because I could and it was going away.  When I realized it just wasn't something I was going to use on my clock in the future it made it easy to take the jump. 

But for some reason -- not having it any more bothers me.  Like I lost something.   It's stupid to feel that way and I'm glad I can separate how I 'feel' from how I 'think'.

Because Sony will cut you off, which could happen any day.

A wise person would have the tools handy to remedy that, and those tools are here.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

SoundMix wrote:

Exactly - if the original poster is happy with the current behavior of the Sony offering, then s/he should continue to use it.

It's also very easy to revert from the Chumby system back to Sony for anyone that wants to go back - just use the same installation dongle and select "Uninstall chumby".

Most people switched because they were getting forced update alerts, but it appears this user is not getting them for some reason.

Duane wrote:
SoundMix wrote:

Exactly - if the original poster is happy with the current behavior of the Sony offering, then s/he should continue to use it.

It's also very easy to revert from the Chumby system back to Sony for anyone that wants to go back - just use the same installation dongle and select "Uninstall chumby".

Most people switched because they were getting forced update alerts, but it appears this user is not getting them for some reason.

Thanks for the advice. I have your update ready on a USB. As soon as Sony cuts off access to the video and music apps, I will update.