Topic: Can I buy a usb stick with the chumby patch?

ok, I'm a little computer challenged, with that being said I thought I had my dash working.I was getting the time and basic alarm clock with the not connected to internet notice. I downloaded the chumby update on a fat32 usb and watched the you tube video and followed the instructions. No chumby update installed. I saw the notice to put directiores at top and all that but I don't know what those are in a usb stick. is there a way to purchase a stick or send my dashes in to be updated?

thanks
db

Re: Can I buy a usb stick with the chumby patch?

We are in the process of creating USB dongles that you would be able to purchase with the software already on it, and verified to work with the dash, however, they're not quite ready yet.

donnyb406 wrote:

ok, I'm a little computer challenged, with that being said I thought I had my dash working.I was getting the time and basic alarm clock with the not connected to internet notice. I downloaded the chumby update on a fat32 usb and watched the you tube video and followed the instructions. No chumby update installed. I saw the notice to put directiores at top and all that but I don't know what those are in a usb stick.

If you're using windows, then when you insert the usb stick, you'll have a new drive letter show up.  that's the 'top level' of the usb stick.  Could be E:, could be F:, G: etc.

Just unzip the update onto the top level of the usb drive.. the 'root' level, just right click on the zip file, extract to, and give it the drive letter of your usb.

If you're using a mac, I can't help you with that, but someone else may chime in.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

ok i tried again to update the dash with chumby  and I think I was successful. I have the weather ,clock ,basic and advanced alarms and slacker, pandora and a couple other music apps. Is this the update for now and the correct and current one? I am not computer smart and you guys might as well be talking nuclear science as I have no idea what you guys are saying 90% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for all your efforts and hard work, just please remember some of us haven't got much, if any of a clue what your talking about.

thanks again, you guys are fabulous

db

If you have Pandora and Slacker, then you are not running the chumby software.

You should have seen a screen with a big "Welcome to chumby!" message and a button labeled "Install chumby".

Did you see that screen?

no, that screen never came up. it just started working again, I am getting the update reminder  when in anything but the night mode with the clock showing. I watched the youtube  video again and realized it wasn't right when I didn't see the chumby. what do I do now?
also I don't know how to read for directeroies and such in a usb. I think maybe that's the problem. I may need to wait until you guys offer a properly formatted stick.

thanks for all your hard work

db

donnyb406 wrote:

no, that screen never came up. it just started working again, I am getting the update reminder  when in anything but the night mode with the clock showing. I watched the youtube  video again and realized it wasn't right when I didn't see the chumby. what do I do now?
also I don't know how to read for directeroies and such in a usb. I think maybe that's the problem. I may need to wait until you guys offer a properly formatted stick.

thanks for all your hard work

db

Donnyb, check your email. I would be happy to help you.