Re: Disappointed

Personally, I am actually amazed that there are not a lot of other people complaining. In the new age of Amazon Echos and Google Home devices, people are expecting more out of their devices. That being said, Duane is still able to make some pocket cash on supporting a device (Chumby) that had been long abandoned.

Constructive criticism is always a good thing when done correctly. Some people just do not know how to communicate their thoughts on a forum. I am sure the OP did not mean any malice just stating his/her feelings and maybe venting a bit.

In the end, the people who appreciate the hard work Duane has put into the Dash will reward him and those who do not want to continue with their Dash will put them on the Market for those of us who still want them.

My 3 cents (inflation ya know!)

I would like to thank you for reviving my dash. I am still in disbelief that someone took the time and trouble to do that smile

That said I also understand users that miss the old theme, we grew used to it over so many years. We should all be mad and dissapointed at Sony for pulling the rug under us.

That said are there resources to get someone started in writing a theme? Is the code available for any of the dash themes?

Thanks for all your efforts and don't feel discouraged. There are quite a few of us that did not express our appreciation of your effort but sincerely do.

I think what Duane has accomplished is amazing. I am grateful that the "broken" Dash I found in a recycle bin could be resurrected and made useful again. The enjoyment I derived from following Duane's instructions and making it work again was great. I subscribed in order to support the efforts and see what other useful apps and improvements come along. Thanks, Duane!

Duane wrote:

I have to admit, I didn't expect this thread only three days after the very first release.

For those of you expressing disappointment - I'm curious what your expectations were, and what the basis for those expectations was.  I'd like to know where we got our wires crossed.

I know my expectations were for a working Dash device in any form, and then improvements would come over time. You've met every one of my expectations so far, and I hope a few sour grapes don't ruin what is, in reality, a huge achievement and a huge favour to many users across the globe.

rluble wrote:

That said are there resources to get someone started in writing a theme? Is the code available for any of the dash themes?

This thread looks like it's where the 'theme creating' discussion is starting to take off.

It's early days, there's surely more to come, now that Duane's not only resurrected the dash, but also cracked it open so anybody can ssh in, and start tinkering.  I have no doubt that a little patience will pay off.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Duane, if that is a "rant" it is the most polite rant I have ever read. ... We are a community. Some of us have been here a long time and some are new. Like having new neighbors who are from a different city/state/country, there will be an adjustment period. In the long run the community will be stronger.

Well said, sir!

32 (edited by riblet2000 2017-08-10 09:47:34)

diamaunt wrote:

now that Duane's not only resurrected the dash, but also cracked it open so anybody can ssh in, and start tinkering.  I have no doubt that a little patience will pay off.

It already has for me.  Not only have I been able to use my very limited Linux skillz to get the theme I was using before Sony orphaned me back (appview), I have also been able to play around inside like I wish I could have seven years ago.  Plus, the "app store" actually has something worth looking at, unlike the sorry Sony version.

This is a HUGE improvement over what we had even before Sony kicked us to the curb.  I can't wait to start messing with app programming. smile

I'm not disappointed, I have disbelief that you guys were able to pull this off. I'd love to have my original theme back of course but I can wait for that. I do kinda wish that the Sony logo would still light up. It looks odd to me without it but no big deal. As far as what you get for paying monthly, the jury is out on those things. I'd love to see netflix and hulu in there and maybe an iheart widget but I can wait. If widgets appear in there that I have a need for I'll gratefully pay for the service but I don't see those things yet. I will however make a donation because I am in awe of what has been done thus far. Salut!

You will not see Netflix, Hulu or other such services on the dash device in the future.

Both of those require contracts and a substantial amount of software, plus they both require the device to be completely locked down again, and that horse is out of the barn.

There's no way that either company would enter into such a contract for a third-party hack to a device that's been discontinued by its original manufacturer.

Duane wrote:

You will not see Netflix, Hulu or other such services on the dash device in the future.

Both of those require contracts and a substantial amount of software, plus they both require the device to be completely locked down again, and that horse is out of the barn.

There's no way that either company would enter into such a contract for a third-party hack to a device that's been discontinued by its original manufacturer.

And while they were nice, for occasional use, are they really needed? Who doesn't have a tablet now or some other better way of watching Netflix than our ChumDash?

And I still like that the SONY logo is turned off. The ChumDash looks much nicer without it, in my opinion. I always found it distracting. A nice, clean black bezel around the display seems better to me.

Some more music players (like Pandora), or a decent YouTube player might be nice, but not really critical as, again, lots of other options. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with what we have so far and can already see the signs that there will be plenty more to come in time.

Like other companies, Youtube has also blocked the vast majority of third party clients.  A few years ago, they famously removed support from a lot of devices including almost all Sony TVs and BD Players, and the dash, along with some Apple TV devices and the brands of smart TVs.  I think it's pretty much down to just PS3/PS4 for the Sony world now as far as Youtube is concerned.

A couple of months ago, they discontinued it for Samsung and LG TVs.

I strongly doubt it's even possible to enter into a new device agreement for Youtube at this point.

This is a general trend - companies are closing third-party use of their products and restricting to their own branded mobile apps or for affiliated companies, with a few exceptions.

This same sort of thing happened a while back with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, all of which grew their user bases with robust third party client APIs, only to pull them away later once it was no longer necessary.

37 (edited by Bron 2017-08-10 14:49:02)

Re: YouTube

Ah, I see. That's too bad. Oh well, less views for them, then.  And I can certainly live without it.  :-)

Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks for your work Duane! I subscribed! do i like the sole theme for widgets and such? no! i absolutely hate it! however i am a patient man and am glad you put so much work in to save my dash! So i will wait for a better theme! Thanks again man!

39 (edited by cujodu 2017-08-16 19:37:38)

I'm really happy my chumdash is working, and I was able to get my favorite theme back thanks to forum members!! Good work Chumby and forum members!!!! Thank you for saving the Dash!!

40 (edited by riblet2000 2017-08-10 20:26:28)

cujodu wrote:

I do not like the themes at all.

Look around here for instructions and links to reinstall the Sony themes.  I put the "appview" one back on mine and it is working great.

https://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9758

41 (edited by bigwilley 2017-08-10 21:11:03)

Duane,  Big thanks from my girls (and me). We had worthless (thanks sony) pieces of junk.  You found a way, made it better and then didn't charge for the fix, only content that you supported. I think this is MORE than fair. I appreciate it!!   We have an avenue to make our own now, if we so desire. If you don't like how it works, start hacking! Then maybe share what you find out.  That is how a community works.

BTW, the shoutcast client works great! DI.fm streams are still strong and working.

Duane wrote:

Thanks Duane and Diamaunt for all your dedication and hard work in breathing some new life into my 3 Dashes.  I got the first one revived tonight and am happy to see that Blue Octy Radio is working again!

However, although it shows on the control panel under the Audio choices and does show lots of music channels, SHOUTCast does not actually play any of them. Is there anything I need to do to listen to them?  Blue Octy plays just fine.

Also, I used my Dashes primarily to listen to Pandora all day long.  Since there is a native Pandora link on my Chumby, I just assumed there would be one on my DashChumby (Dumby? :-) ). But such is not the case and I was wondering if it might be in the works anytime soon.  I realize it will not be without commercials, just like with the Chumby app, unless I pay Pandora's fee and that's fine.  But since it's available right now on my Chumby, can it be added to my Dumby too, alongside Blue Octy and SHOUTCast?

I tried to use the Internet option to load the Googe Search option to go to www.pandora.com directly but that just resulted in a blank, black screen so I'm not sure why that's not  working either.

I know this is still in beta and I am MOST grateful for what you have done in the time you had to do it!

Keep up the good work, guys.

Pat

I just want to express my appreciation and gratitude for the Duane and the rest of the Chumby team for getting my two Dash C10s operational once again after I installed the conversion software today. I had seen the previews of the new interface and knew it was not going to look exactly the way the Sony Dash themes had looked. So no big disappointment there. What really thrilled me was that all my internet radio presets were still there, as well as the search term I used for finding talk shows in Shoutcast, my local time and weather location still remained as well as my alarm already set with my regular wakeup time. Nice that I didn't need to reconfigure all of those settings on both Dashes. Great job with the conversion! Happy to be a Chumby subscriber now.

44 (edited by Trommy 2017-08-14 17:30:26)

I just installed the Chumby software on my Dash.  It now does everything I need.  Very grateful that you guys took the time to do this for all of us.  I'm not looking at an unplugged device that was nothing more than tech waste.  I am also looking forward to any improvements in the future, but I was shocked at what you were able to do. 
Thank You!

First of all... GREAT JOB GUYS!!! I have 4 Sony Dashs that all crossed rainbow bridge until "Duane The Great" came out of nowhere with his miracle fingers and brought them all back to life to joyfully display Johnny Marooned once again. For the past month I have fought an endless battle of wits with the evil Sony Empire to keep Johnny and his island life antics running, all while not trying to over sleep and get fired for not being on work in time. It's amazing how much you miss something so small in your life when it is suddenly taken from you like a thief in the night, all while taunting you with a beaconing message of death (Sony... Sony... Sony...). I curse you House of Sony for your cruel plot to disrupt my life and all those Dashkateers out there who were loyal to you as you sat upon your throne, but in the end you failed us all. Winter has not come to us after all.

Thanks to Duane for resurrecting the Dash. I'm happy just to have full clock functionality,  since that's why I bought it for back in 2011 for $60. I notice a few bugs like not being able to log into photobucket but I trust they'll be fixed eventually. Kudos to anyone else who may have helped the cause. Duane,  I hope you don't take other's criticism too hard. Good day!

Photobucket should work, however, you won't get your photos in the device without paying Photobucket's new subscription fees.  It's a coincidence that Photobucket changed their terms around the same time as the dash service shutdown.

I actually tested Photobucket during development and was showing my own pictures without issues, when they suddenly stopped working.  When I looked at what Photobucket was sending back for image requests, I discovered it was returning an HTML page describing the policy/pricing change.

This is the first time I've looked at this thread, and it seems to have turned into a "Thank you! Great Job!" thread.
I just want to add my two cents.
Duane, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You did an amazing job under very difficult circumstances. I gladly subscribed for $3 a month and being the Star Trek geek that I am I truly love the Space theme!
I think the job most of feel about having our beloved Dash's back far outweigh the couple of users who feel disappointed at the end results.

Duane wrote:

Like other companies, Youtube has also blocked the vast majority of third party clients.  A few years ago, they famously removed support from a lot of devices including almost all Sony TVs and BD Players, and the dash, along with some Apple TV devices and the brands of smart TVs.  I think it's pretty much down to just PS3/PS4 for the Sony world now as far as Youtube is concerned.

A couple of months ago, they discontinued it for Samsung and LG TVs.

I strongly doubt it's even possible to enter into a new device agreement for Youtube at this point.

This is a general trend - companies are closing third-party use of their products and restricting to their own branded mobile apps or for affiliated companies, with a few exceptions.

This same sort of thing happened a while back with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, all of which grew their user bases with robust third party client APIs, only to pull them away later once it was no longer necessary.

Roku still has a good Youtube app. It's actually fairly generous, well designed, etc. I have accidentally left it on for 8 or more hours at a time playing videos of birds and/or squirrels to entertain my cats.

Kodi media center has a Youtube app that is a bit clumsy to set up and has a hard limit of a few hours out of any 24 hour period.

I used netflix on the dash for the novelty a few times when it was new but it's easy to grow tired of watching videos on a small screen.

It might be interesting if someone wrote a client for it that could be a target for "casting" from another device but, well, small screen. And since the hardware is fairly old at this point, codec support might be limiting.

anyway for the last few years my dash was just a really nice alarm clock / internet radio with a couple other features that sometimes got used. I haven't installed chumdash yet but plan to soon. I really appriciate the work that has been done.

50 (edited by unwiredben 2017-08-17 07:37:31)

The Roku YouTube app is written by YouTube -- it's what you see if you go to https://youtube.com/tv, and it's the client they want all fo the set-top boxes and smart TVs to use.