Re: It's working again!

timothyfulco wrote:

Chrome and javascript is enabled. I tried on my Linux - Mint machine as well as W10 laptop. I never get step 4.

See if you can bring up the browser network console - you should be seeing repeated GET calls to our server with the text "check_register" in the URL.

It's alive!

Thank you so much!

I had one small issue. This morning when i woke up, it asked me to connect to the WiFi network again. I
Choose to connect to existing network and it did its thing. Will it do this every morning or is this an issue with my wifi? I have the Google 3 pod wifi system.

Thanks

diamaunt wrote:

Eh? ChrisDash chumbyfied his dash *after* his scripted event would have happened.

That is correct, I set it up after 9PM which means the scripted action wouldn't have run.  Didn't know about the home button and manual sleep mode.  Thanks!

This is so great! Install was a dream.

One question.  I tried to install the Accuweather for TV app.  The app says to hit the C key to change location.  This works on the demo on the Chumby website.  But how do I hit a the C key on the dash?

Is Pandora in the works for music options?

jgpost wrote:

This is so great! Install was a dream.

One question.  I tried to install the Accuweather for TV app.  The app says to hit the C key to change location.  This works on the demo on the Chumby website.  But how do I hit a the C key on the dash?

Tha app was designed exclusively to work on a chumby-enabled TV - the "C" button is on the TV remote.

That app will not work properly on a dash or regular chumby device.

nick87night wrote:

It's alive!

Thank you so much!

I had one small issue. This morning when i woke up, it asked me to connect to the WiFi network again. I
Choose to connect to existing network and it did its thing. Will it do this every morning or is this an issue with my wifi? I have the Google 3 pod wifi system.

Thanks

If it's asking for the wifi connection again, that means it lost contact sometime during the night.  Normally, it just keeps humming along.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I had to disable my Ad blocker. Sorry I should have caught that. All set. GREAT JOB and thanks for the help!!

timothyfulco wrote:

I had to disable my Ad blocker. Sorry I should have caught that. All set. GREAT JOB and thanks for the help!!

OK, I'll add that as a potential issue that might interfere with activation.

SWEET!!!  MANY MANY THANKS!

Went from bricked to ChumDashed.

Two questions:

1.  In case I missed it -I'm assuming there's no yearly subscription / only monthly?
2.  Are the Apps universal?  Nothing I have to do or look for to make sure they're compatible with dash?

THANKS!

EggYolk wrote:

SWEET!!!  MANY MANY THANKS!

Went from bricked to ChumDashed.

Two questions:

1.  In case I missed it -I'm assuming there's no yearly subscription / only monthly?
2.  Are the Apps universal?  Nothing I have to do or look for to make sure they're compatible with dash?

THANKS!

At this point, the subscription is monthly only, though stay tuned for updates on that subject (work on that got pushed aside when the crash "save the dashes" project started).

The vast majority of apps work on all devices, though there are a few exceptions.

slypher25aussie wrote:

Is Pandora in the works for music options?

Agree that this would be a great addition, if possible.  But no rush!  I know you're busy and Blue Octy works fine for now.

Also, FYI, when I tried playing music (mp3's) from USB, it worked for awhile and then everything locked up and I had to unplug the ChumDash and reboot. But I know you probably haven't gotten to this yet. Just letting you know.

Basically, I'm thrilled to even have what works now.  :-)

It might be a particular MP3 that's causing the problem.  We have discovered that the Sony media player will lock up with some MP3 files and streams.

Success +2. Nice that I didn't have to re-enter my wifi password or location or even my weekday alarm.

Thanks Duane excellent work.
All 3 Dashes in the house are up and operating.

And a Mega Thanks to all that played a role in bringing our babies back to life.
Lastly: Thank You Chumby because I'm sure without you, none of this would have come about.

Cheers!

Many, many, many thanks!
What a smooth, seamless installation - very impressive.

67 (edited by Sellmetv2 2017-08-09 15:15:26)

Thank you for the easy to follow and simple fix for us... I am sure not easy for you to design.

Duane wrote:

It might be a particular MP3 that's causing the problem.  We have discovered that the Sony media player will lock up with some MP3 files and streams.

Ah, got it, That may be it. Since it played fine for the first few and I know the mp3's were a mixed bag of various bit rates and such. So could well be it.

I want to add to the chorus of thank yous by saying THANK YOU! It's so great seeing my dash back to life. I had the biggest smile watching the little chumby octopus swim across the screen during install. My wife also loves the space theme.

Yes, I want to add a huge thank you as well. I am so glad to have this come back to life. Thank you for all your hard work.

Got mine unbricked and Chumbyfied today.  smile

I got prompted for the firmware update but I just ignored it and it went away.  I moved over to the Chumby servers and love it.  Its nice to be off the Sony servers.  I hated my experience there and hope the Chumby servers are more reliable.  I even decided to subscribe to their service so that they have some capital to stay running for years to come.  I love this Dash.  I have yet to find an alarm clock that works like it does.

Raxid wrote:

I have yet to find an alarm clock that works like it does.

As far as I know, the only other thing like it... is a Chumby or Infocast.  Unless someone makes their own home built one out of a raspi or similar.

diamaunt wrote:
Raxid wrote:

I have yet to find an alarm clock that works like it does.

As far as I know, the only other thing like it... is a Chumby or Infocast.  Unless someone makes their own home built one out of a raspi or similar.

I tried it.  I can get exactly the functionality I want.  Hell, it was neat having an alarm clock that could also play Joust and other MAME games. 

What made it just an exercise to see if it COULD be done to ending up back in the "parts bin" was that it wasn't PRACTICAL.   I'm horrible at building custom cabinets or boxes.  The dash is just about perfect with it's buttons.  Snooze exactly where it's needed, screen the right size, just the right shape.  It's more CLOCK than computer. 

That's also why a tablet just wont work.  Hitting "snooze" on a tablet app sucks out loud.  I've tried them all.  The dash is pretty close to perfect as a clock.  It's one of the reasons why I've had a dash for the last 6 or 7ish years and haven't scavenged it for some other projects.

Yes the snooze button placement is key.  Its also nice that it shows all the weather info at a glance and you can view videos and pictures.  I tried Netflix on it but it wasn't my thing since I have my tv for that.  What I really like about it though is that its an actual alarm clock that isn't boring and easy to set the alarms on.