Topic: House cleaning

Is there any "house cleaning" on published apps?  To remove or maybe flag as not working?

Thanks!

Re: House cleaning

For instance, the 'Flora Photographs' works for a while if in a channel with other widgets, but will eventually stop working and will be skipped.  However, it seems to be fine if in a separate channel.

Yes that's probably because it has a memory leak, or at least the system thinks it does.

If a widget takes more than 10MB in virtual memory, then it's removed from rotation, unless it's the only one in a channel.

This is to work around a bug in the Flash Player on the dash, where most widgets that behave this way never return the memory and eventually cause the device to crash.  Unfortunately there's no way to tell the difference between a widget that triggers this bug and one that behaves properly.

We added a way around this - if you create a file called /psp/memory_whitelist, and add the widget ID to it, it will not trigger the memory watchdog.  You can see the ID of the widget in the URL when you're on the page in the catalog for that widget.

For instance, the URL for "Zoltar" is "http://www.chumby.com/guide/BD13557C-61 … EF4/widget", so the iD is "BD13557C-611C-11DE-8D19-001B24F07EF4"

Duane wrote:

We added a way around this - if you create a file called /psp/memory_whitelist, and add the widget ID to it, it will not trigger the memory watchdog.

OK, that's cool.  I had three instances of the URLImage widget go missing until I restarted the Dash.  If it happens again I'll give that a try.

5 (edited by jhonryan 2017-08-15 10:58:15)

This is good to know.  Thanks!  I've set a few URLImage to some of our security cams.

6 (edited by pausert 2017-08-16 12:49:55)

A second to the good to know - I just created the file.  Thanks.

[Edit].  The application is still operating correctly since yesterday.  Thanks again.