Re: It's working again!

One Chumby up and running and soon to be starting on the second. Thanks for all your hard work.

Didn't activate on first try.  Removed dongle, cycled power...and now working?  Duane and company...you are awesome!!!  Thanks MUCH!!!

ljschoepke wrote:

Didn't activate on first try.  Removed dongle, cycled power...and now working?  Duane and company...you are awesome!!!  Thanks MUCH!!!

It may have timed out... I believe there's a limited time the registration process will sit there waiting for all the steps to complete.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Yup!

It was a breeze.  Plug and Play.

An easy install and it appears to work.

The LCARS theme is the theme I have been using for 6 or 7 years.

An old familiar face.

Thanks so much.

ChrisDash wrote:

Amazing work!  I installed it and everything ran smoothly!  Had to unplug because I normally set night mode at 9pm and it was past then so, wouldn't trigger.  Awesome job!

You could just hit the top button, then the crescent moon icon to put it into Night Mode.  Same thing as the scripted event.

Duane wrote:
ChrisDash wrote:

Amazing work!  I installed it and everything ran smoothly!  Had to unplug because I normally set night mode at 9pm and it was past then so, wouldn't trigger.  Awesome job!

You could just hit the top button, then the crescent moon icon to put it into Night Mode.  Same thing as the scripted event.

Do scripted events not work then?

Updated to Chumby (with subscription).  Working well.

Questions: 

Widgets -- they don't cycle.  There's a "pin" option but it appears whatever widget is listed just stays as if it were pinned.

Are additional themes in the works?  Is there a template for making one's own theme?  I ask because I would like a larger "widget" area and have weather off to one side.  I love the LCARS theme -- but I know me.  The novelty will wear off.

How can you remove a widget once it's added?  I loaded a few that do not work.

Thanks!

I really miss the Sony 5 day weather forecast that also had the time.  My two Dash's sat on that screen 24/7. 

I tried the Shoutcast radio but no streams work.

diamaunt wrote:
andycarleton wrote:

Yay! It worked! My Dash is now a "Dashumby". Sony sucks, Duane rules! Thank you very much, Duane!

I prefer the thoroughly unofficial "chumdash" which fits in with the chumby lexicon:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=22333#p22333

Chumdash!

gfinockio wrote:
Duane wrote:
ChrisDash wrote:

Eh? ChrisDash chumbyfied his dash *after* his scripted event would have happened.

jhonryan wrote:

Widgets -- they don't cycle.  There's a "pin" option but it appears whatever widget is listed just stays as if it were pinned.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=55892#p55892

jhonryan wrote:

Are additional themes in the works?  Is there a template for making one's own theme?  I ask because I would like a larger "widget" area and have weather off to one side.  I love the LCARS theme -- but I know me.  The novelty will wear off.

Not yet.  Early days and all.

jhonryan wrote:

How can you remove a widget once it's added?  I loaded a few that do not work.

Remove widgets via the web page.

Dash is up and running in less than 5 minutes. Paid my $3 and BOOM, it's as if it never went away smile

Fantastic work from the Chumby Team, THANK YOU.

Excited for more themes in the future !

flyfoam wrote:

I tried the Shoutcast radio but no streams work.

SHOUTcast streams in general are hit-and-miss, even at the best of times, and this is exacerbated by the fact that Sony's media player is very picky - we have examples of MP3 streams that other chumby devices play just fine, but the dash won't.

The other issue it that there is a maximum number of listeners per station, and you can't connect if the limit is hit.  The "popular" station stations that the app initially loads are, by definition, more likely to have this issue.

If you do a search for a particular genre or other keyword, you're more likely to find stations that work.

diamaunt wrote:
gfinockio wrote:
Duane wrote:

Eh? ChrisDash chumbyfied his dash *after* his scripted event would have happened.

COMPLETELY missed that. Good stuff!

Mine's up and running again.  Thank you for that. smile

I encountered a little hiccup where the last 'blue dot' sat there blinking for an extremely long time (5 minutes) so I restarted the Dash.  While that was happening I remembered I still had Sony's servers blocked so I unblocked them.  The second attempt at Chumbification worked just like I expected it to...no issues.  The firewall rules probably had nothing to do with it but just leaving this here in case someone else runs into the same thing.

41 (edited by drew 2017-08-07 11:21:28)

Another success story.  The process was pretty painless, other than having to try the device registration twice (not sure if it timed out the first time or l threw a wrench in the works by changing browsers mid-stream).  I'm listening to a stream from KCSM.org/jazz91/index.php as I write this. 

One suggestion I would make on the default theme is to swap the positions of the time and the day/date, with the time getting the bigger font size.  It would make it easier to see from across the room.

Thanks to the Chumby team for throwing this lifeline to the Dash user base.

42 (edited by jhonryan 2017-08-07 11:40:49)

diamaunt wrote:
jhonryan wrote:

I thought I was going crazy but I think I found a bug -- or something is working in a way I wouldn't have expected.

If I have the TOP portion of lcars set to TIME, it works as you describe.  I had "weather" selected and it would cycle through time and weather (which is neat).

However, when THAT is set, I think the cycle interrupts and restarts the widget timer counter such that it never changes.

Thanks!

43 (edited by Bron 2017-08-08 19:24:03)

Woot!  Got the first of my 3 Dashes up and running. Fairly painless. Like Drew, I had to do the activation twice, but pretty smooth overall. Thank you guys so, so much!  This is fantastic. I just subscribed and happily so. Everything working fine so far. Including music streaming, yay!

Can't tell you how happy I was to see My ChumDash come to life!  :-)

jhonryan wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
jhonryan wrote:

I thought I was going crazy but I think I found a bug -- or something is working in a way I wouldn't have expected.

If I have the TOP portion of lcars set to TIME, it works as you describe.  I had "weather" selected and it would cycle through time and weather (which is neat).

However, when THAT is set, I think the cycle interrupts and restarts the widget timer counter such that it never changes.

Thanks!

I'm not following you.  the top section will normally cycle between time and weather, and if there's multiple weather locations it'll cycle between them when in the weather mode.  I've been playing with mine, and no matter whether I pick time or weather, it'll sit there for a couple minutes, then go back to cycling.

During this time, the widgets are also cycling. try selecting 'next' or 'prev' on one of the widgets, and make sure the button says "PIN"

Thank you so much for your hard work for getting my 2 devices working again.  All updates went well and configured I am back to having it turned back on to the clock and weather I subscribed and payed to your site and will continue as long as you keep it up so I can use this device because it is useful and I cant see the echo show yet being the standard facto yet.  I  rely like the on Sony for what it does, I don't need voice stuff. Keep rocking with this, I am another IT guy loving what you do.

I've tried to activate. No luck. sad
I've logged in and started my subscription but still nothing. No Step 4 appears.

timothyfulco wrote:

I've tried to activate. No luck. sad
I've logged in and started my subscription but still nothing. No Step 4 appears.

What browser are you using, and is Javascript enabled?

Blimey! It works... That was the most painless update iv seen for hardware in a long time....
Thanks again Duane.. you need 8 high fives... smile

-J

Chrome and javascript is enabled. I tried on my Linux - Mint machine as well as W10 laptop. I never get step 4.

timothyfulco wrote:

Chrome and javascript is enabled. I tried on my Linux - Mint machine as well as W10 laptop. I never get step 4.

Are you following the steps just like in the video?