Topic: I'd like to donate my dash

I have a bricked Dash HID-C10 that I don't intend to use anymore and would like to donate to Blue Octy.  1) How do I make sure any of my personal info has been removed from the Dash?  2)  If you want it, where should I mail it?

Re: I'd like to donate my dash

The best way to clear out any personal data the device is to do the "restore factory settings" in Special Options.

Our address is in this forum thread.

We'd certainly love to have another device to be available for testing.

It's bricked though, can I get to Special Options?

If it's bricked to the degree you can't use Special Options, then all I would be able to do is unbrick it, which *also* clears out the personal data.

Okay thanks, intend to send it to you shortly.

6 (edited by demarks51 2017-08-02 12:56:40)

How much personal data is on one of these, other than wifi passphrases and widgets/radio preferences?
Glad Duane has another Dash to work with but a shame we lost a potential satisfied Dashumby owner.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

How much personal data is on one of these, other than wifi passphrases and widgets/radio preferences?
Glad Duane has another Dash to work with but a shame we lost a potential satisfied Dashumby owner.

This Dash is still in the community. Much better than ending up in a landfill.
This might be a good time to remind forum users about the marketplace: http://forum.chumby.com/viewforum.php?id=31
Once the Dashes have been transformed into ChumDashes and things are going smoothly the word about the marketplace should be spread across as many platforms as possible to bring into the fold the Dashes that are just sitting unplugged, waiting to be junked.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

demarks51 wrote:

There really isn't any, you are correct.

Normally a chumby might have Pandora credentials, however the dash had those credentials on the servers.

It's just wifi SSIDs and passphrases.

Reluctantly decided not to donate my Dash.  First of all I really appreciate what you're doing and the approach you've taken.  I'm probably overly concerned with privacy, but I want to make sure that my data has been removed from the device.  Given the state of my Dash (blinking Sony), it seems necessary for me to un-brick it to remove my info -- but I've found that process to be involved and somewhat risky.  I'm unwilling to download the 1.7.1526 update from another site, checksum it, etc.  Dash is an end-user appliance so I'm not sure most people would be willing to do that, if they knew the risks.  Anyway, I'm conflicted because I'd like to donate it to you but don't want to go through the de-bricking process, especially finding & verifying the 1.7.1526 update.

If it's got the blinking sony, then it's IMPOSSIBLE for someone to get your information off of it, because fixing the blinking sony problem, (unbricking it) will totally erase any information and restore it to factory defaults.

That said, there's a sticky post that points to multiple good sources for the firmware, should you decide to do that.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

If you send it me, I can assure you that I will make sure it will completely erased and will make no attempt to extract any personal information from it.  I have no interest in putting anyone's information at risk.

As diamaunt said, it's an easy promise to make, because in its bricked condition, I couldn't access any information even if I were so inclined, and the very act of unbricking it (indeed *any* update over USB) erases the entire partition where any personal information would be kept.

However, I will respect any decision you make regarding the device.

Thank you diamaunt and Duane, that's exactly the assurance that I was hoping for.  I'll get it in the mail to you in the next few days.