Re: Poll: Do you plan to subscribe for apps/widgets?

I would likely pick up a couple subscriptions I know I only need 1 for both my dash machines but I will contribute to the cause. I used my dash for weather, news, pandora and netflix

I plan on subscribing no matter how I end up using my Dash.  I'm not sure if I'll use the apps and widgets.  I'll need to see what's available.  So, count me in.

I tried browsing the app catalog and was surprised to see it requires Flash.  I don't even have Flash installed anymore.

flyfoam wrote:

I tried browsing the app catalog and was surprised to see it requires Flash.  I don't even have Flash installed anymore.

The apps are flash movies

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
flyfoam wrote:

The apps are flash movies

It turns out Chrome still supports flash, it was off by default.

Will the stock weather app that was in the Sony still be available once it's on Chumby services?  Or do we need to install a new one?  I was looking at the apps for weather and what I liked about the Sony weather was it also showed the time and date.

flyfoam wrote:

Will the stock weather app that was in the Sony still be available once it's on Chumby services?  Or do we need to install a new one?  I was looking at the apps for weather and what I liked about the Sony weather was it also showed the time and date.

Take a look at pictures s in the ’success’ thread, for the default theme.

33 (edited by lookn2it 2017-07-24 18:41:02)

I really used the app for listening to internet radio stations daily and would wake up to my favorite news station every morning. Normal radio reception is not the best in the condo where I live. I liked it that I could manually enter the URL of the stream into the app and save those stations.  I would hope this type of app would continue.

if the firmware can soon release before i decide to wallmount a retired tablet  then yes... i miss my forecast   when i wake up  so i need to get up and waych outside lol or ask alexa

Yes, I would consider a reasonable subscription for the apps I have used. I miss my app widgets on the dash.

Already subscribed...to try and help out .....

Honestly on one Dash I just want the Alarm Clock and maybe weather.  On the other one, maybe weather and Pandora.  That's it.  It was always too buggy and unreliable for anything else.

joshuahist wrote:

Honestly on one Dash I just want the Alarm Clock and maybe weather.  On the other one, maybe weather and Pandora.  That's it.  It was always too buggy and unreliable for anything else.

We ain't Sony.

I would probably prefer an app store to a subscription model, since I  don't do a lot of switching out old apps for new apps.   but I also do not want to just gain free access to things, so a pay/donate per app thing would seem like another option.

szfinland wrote:

I would probably prefer an app store to a subscription model, since I  don't do a lot of switching out old apps for new apps.   but I also do not want to just gain free access to things, so a pay/donate per app thing would seem like another option.

It's not economically feasible to implement that.

Also I don't own a large fraction of the apps, so I'm not in a position to charge for them individually.

The subscription is to offset the cost of delivering the apps and their customized configurations and content, not for the apps themselves.

my dad uses his for alarm/schedule/weather.  He does like to play music for his alarm as well instead of the normal beeps. Probably would need an app for that? i love that you can make the clock go into night mode and wake up on schedule, so hopefully that's still a feature.  Depending on what apps you add,  maybe something for Philips Hue to control lights?

Do we have an idea of the subscription? would it be 1 account  per device or per user? depends on apps, i may try and find a sony dash for myself.  would like to support this with a subscription for the work being done.

The subscription is per-user, not per-device.

44 (edited by gfinockio 2017-07-27 07:27:58)

I would certainly start as a subscriber and see how it goes. I'd commit to 6 months minimum. It will depend on the functionality actually available as a Chumby/Dash hybrid.

Yes, I plan to subscribe if the Dashumby patch works.

Assume I should not update to "1604" , retain "1526" software until your new patch is released.

Alarms, a (dim)  night mode,  internet music station and sleep timer would be nice. While any station will do Amazon Prime would be ideal.

twoplanters wrote:

Assume I should not update to "1604" , retain "1526" software until your new patch is released.

Yes, do not update to 1604.

Yes, I'll subscribe for a LEAST a while, we all need to help defray costs & compensate Duane and the gang for all their efforts.

Yes, have already done so.

Yes, have already subscribed - more to support the wonderful effort that has given me four working Chumdashes. I tend to use multiple alarms and weather and nothing else. Oh yes, in Winter I use the "snowy woods" app.

Btw, very nice looking alarm setting screens!