Topic: Poll: Do you plan to subscribe for apps/widgets?

I'm just wondering what y'all are thinking you want to do with your Dash:

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: Poll: Do you plan to subscribe for apps/widgets?

I didn't really use the online features of the Dash.  I really like the night mode in the lowest brightness setting.  It's big, easy to read and doesn't light up the room.  I also like the configuration options for the alarms. 

The last thing I really used was the scheduling.  I would schedule night mode to turn on and off and the rest of the day either in power save mode or a screen that cycled through my apps.  Most of them stopped working and didn't really interest me too much.  Maybe there are more interesting apps available for Chumby and I would consider subscribing.

I vote for de second option, but with option to subscribe to apps.  But if no subscribe i need the basic alarm and the weather.

I would like also the multiple alarms and screen scheduling feature... Screen scheduling is important because i like to shutoff the screen at night.

Honestly, I'm new to the chumby site and wasn't aware that you could subscribe to apps/widget. There were a handful (maybe 5) that I used from the sony site, but I wasn't impressed with the quality of most of them.

I used my dash for the clock/alarm feature, but also for internet radio, sometimes netflix, and very often Pandora, which streamed to the Dash commercial-free. That's probably not going to happen with Chumby (and the value of that might be considered by people thinking about class action suits against Sony--what is commercial-free Pandora worth?)

I've already taken out a chumby subscription to play around with the android app. I could do most of the same things I did with the Dash with an android tablet on a stand, but the Dash was simple and was a nice form factor for when you're groping for buttons to stop the alarm in the morning--android tablet don't have a snooze button on top, and get knocked over pretty easily. So I'm still hoping for a reasonably full featured Dash in the future.

milesxp_1 wrote:

I vote for de second option, but with option to subscribe to apps.  But if no subscribe i need the basic alarm and the weather.

the second option above with option to subscribe to apps is the first option above.

monkeypet wrote:

I would like also the multiple alarms and screen scheduling feature... Screen scheduling is important because i like to shutoff the screen at night.

multiple alarms and events are there. that's part of the device itself.

I loved watching web cams from around the world on the Spy app, and the weather apps, but most other apps were not very useful or well implemented. If the chumby apps are as nice as the screen shots make them appear, I may be convinced to subscribe.

I'd like it all for my 2 C10s. I've already subscribed and am looking forward to my new ChumDash.
Just as a FYI my B-70 is still online and even still gets Pandora.

Thanks for all your work.

I am up for the subscription.  Another user of the Spy app and am missing it now.

I used my Dash for multi-day alarm setting with Pandora for the alarm.  And weather.  But i'd be happy to subscribe if, for nothing else, to support your efforts and thanks for bringing back the Dash from the dead!

I didn't subscribe to anything before so I should be able to get the same features that I had.  That said I would definitely make a decent donation to support you guys and your work.

I want it all. I like apps ...... CBS News TMZ Weather Bug Albert Einstein Quotes Buddha Quotes TechCrunch etc... Love it
Miss it Bring it. I already subscribed last week.

15 (edited by intored 2017-07-23 08:13:28)

mrivett wrote:

I didn't really use the online features of the Dash.  I really like the night mode in the lowest brightness setting.  It's big, easy to read and doesn't light up the room.  I also like the configuration options for the alarms. 

The last thing I really used was the scheduling.  I would schedule night mode to turn on and off and the rest of the day either in power save mode or a screen that cycled through my apps.  Most of them stopped working and didn't really interest me too much.  Maybe there are more interesting apps available for Chumby and I would consider subscribing.

I kinda feel like this would be the minimum bar for keeping the Dash and something I would like to pay a one time fee to get. Beyond this functionality my wife did like the daily horoscope and I used the dopplar radar app as part of my daily weather forecast. The dash was always a great convenience, always on and right where i needed it on the nightstand. As part of my daily scheduling right before bed and as soon as I wake up it has great utility value; however anything more than scheduling and planning the interface, CPU/GPU & screen resolution and sound quality have all been replaced by other devices that do these tasks better.

Tyberious wrote:

I didn't subscribe to anything before so I should be able to get the same features that I had.  That said I would definitely make a decent donation to support you guys and your work.

"before" is gone, things are different after being abandoned by Sony. 

What you "should" have now is nothing, because that's what Sony gave you.

Duane is trying to give you an option, but it's not the one Sony gave you, thankfully it's a different option.

I would also be happy to give a donation for the basic functionality.  I wouldn't expect someone to do this for free.
I probably would even subscribe at first to see if there are any apps I would use.

mrivett wrote:

I would also be happy to give a donation for the basic functionality.  I wouldn't expect someone to do this for free.
I probably would even subscribe at first to see if there are any apps I would use.

Go ahead and sign up for an account at www.chumby.com, you can browse through the app catalog and see if there's anything you like.

You'll need an account anyway to register the Dash, whether or not you choose to subscribe for apps.

I plan to subscribe at least for 1 year.  I'm unsure if I'll like what chumby has to offer but it will be worth at least that much to me to save my dash.

Will subscribe for a min of one year for my 3 $ony bricks I mean dashes.  Thanks for your efforts.

I've already subscribed.  It's worth far more than $3/mo to help keep this effort afloat.

Yup.. Make them LIVE again!!!

Yes, I have two of them and would most likely subscribe to apps/widgets.

I'll be subscribing as well. I don't mind $3/month to keep the Dash alive.

Already have money is worth it.