Re: clock/speaker from sony for dash shutdown.

freekshow wrote:

If I get a speaker or alarm clock from them, will they disable my dash now that they have the serial number and it will be a brick ?

they already HAVE your serial number...

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I called and chose the alarm clock, even though the retail price of the BT speaker was 3x that of the alarm clock.  They were very polite and efficient.

Was my post deleted or did i not post it lol

Tyberious wrote:

Was my post deleted or did i not post it lol

It is extremely rare for us to delete posts.

We will delete posts that blatantly violate the Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines, listed at the very top the forum.  We have deleted thousands of spam posts over the years, but that thanks to the addition of various anti-spam technologies, we've reduced that dramatically.

In the last few days we've deleted some cross-posts, where a few people, typically new users, have posted the exact same post in several sections or threads, usually asking for help.   We leave the one that's in the most appropriate thread, and delete the rest.  We do pay attention to the forum, so there's no reason to post the same thing everywhere.

We have also taken down posts at the request of the original poster.

The single most common situation where people *think* we've deleted a post is that they didn't actually post - they hit "Report" instead of "Post Reply".  That button sends the entered text to the forum administrators - it's supposed to be used when there's something in a particular post that needs to be brought to our attention.

Ok so I went back and I definitely saw that my post was indeed in the thread but it no longer isn't so it must have been deleted.  I posted about accepting anything from Sony would make you ineligible to join any class action that may be filed.

31 (edited by riblet2000 2017-07-22 08:30:17)

Tyberious wrote:

I posted about accepting anything from Sony would make you ineligible to join any class action that may be filed.

A class action about this would be a waste of time.  The best you could recover is less than the value of the alarm clock, if anything.  As much as we love them the Dash is ancient in consumer electronics terms and while their handling of the EOL update could definitely have been better there is nothing actionable here.

Instead of burning resources chasing Sony, help Duane and the rest of the Chumbysphere keep the Dash alive.

Tyberious wrote:

accepting anything from Sony would make you ineligible to join any class action that may be filed.

Source? Unless there's a contractual agreement, I don't believe that could be legally binding.

I didn't sign anything when I got "compensation" from Sony, nor did they mention anything on the phone and have me say "I agree" about forgoing rights.

I finally called in to get my bluetooth speaker.    The customer service agent was nice... and I was nice back. (BTW- he did tell me "good choice" when I picked the speaker over the clock.)  It's not his fault and he didn't have anything to do with Sony deciding not support the Dash any more.   But I did tell him I was sure going to miss having it on my desk at work.   

The entire experience was just as the initial poster outlined- model number, serial number, send a photo, etc.    He said once they got the email they would release my speaker for shipment, but I guess I was so pleasant to him, he actually told me to still send in the photo, but he approved my transaction and it was already queued up and ready to ship.

I not called sony for a product replacement, they don'ont have what I need for the basic replacement, I just remember the end of service,  Possibly a re-think for the replacement of my PS3, a not to go to a PS4 and I cross my finger for my Bravia not get a end of service firmware.
Thanks for team to work to get an other live to this devices

FranksMama wrote:

I finally called in to get my bluetooth speaker.    The customer service agent was nice... and I was nice back. (BTW- he did tell me "good choice" when I picked the speaker over the clock.)

Yes, I was thinking, I should go for that $60 speaker, but the $20 alarm clock will take the place of my Dash until it can be revived. Plus, it has those beautiful Sony numbers on the time display.

yasbean wrote:

Plus, it has those beautiful Sony numbers on the time display.

these numbers?
https://sonyglobal.scene7.com/is/image/gwtprod/6c30aff517c9e54f025400014325eee2?fmt=pjpeg&wid=1014&hei=396&bgcolor=F1F5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

I have another Sony story for folks...
Sony is known for this behavior.. Might get myself an alarm clock.......

They had a interesting device called an e-marker.. Basically a lcd, a button and a clock chip....
Used a database online to try to match playlists from a radio station to the time you hit the button....
Sent its data to an app using USB and internet connection..

It wasnt really smart. but was kinda cool/clever how it could "predict" what song was playing when you tagged it..
Used a bit of process of deduction on the cloud end... since you register your zip code, and tell it the stations you listen to..

Wasnt expensive... think it was 25$ at the time

That said they discontinued the service....

Difference this time.. they wanted the units back AND reimbursed you the entire cost of the device...
I got a check from Sony for 25$..

http://www.bricklin.com/emarker.htm

I hate to be a traitor... but im tempted to go with the "Amazon" solution for my dose of ambient information (with the requisite camera taped over) ... Still keeping the Dash after alll...

Had an interesting experience however.. My dash originally seemed to update to the version BEFORE the disabling version.. BUT the clock never appeared!.....
Kept getting errors....

So I was hmm..
Put the backup i took of the update on the Sony site onto a USB fob... and did the special options install via usb...
Followed the unbricking notes NOT to reconnect to the wifi...

And I have a nice clock showing ... this is better than the error messages of cannot connect.. Did not get the red warning message even before I re-installed the update...

This is much better than unplugging it.
-J

In another topic thread in this wondeful Chumby forum ("DASH is dead, the RIP thread"), I found out some info from member "Crazysal" that might help take the sting out of Sony's recent treatment of its previously loyal customers.  Specifically:

I have 3 HID-C10s and am going to receive, for free, 2 Sony SRS-XB10 wireless speakers and a Sony ICF-C1 alarm clock radio as an "Accommodation" for losing my Dashs' functionality. :-)

When I called Sony at 1-239-245-6374, I spoke to someone pretty quickly and said how sad I was that they bricked my Dash after telling me for months that they would fix the problems with the registration server, etc., etc.   I said I was pretty upset at the treatment from Sony and hoped they could do something to restore my faith in the company.  :-)

The agent appologized and then asked me for the model number and serial numbers of my 3 units.  They also said to send them pictures of the front of the Dash as well as a picture of the model and serial number label.  That label is pretty small so I had to use a non-phone digital camera in macro mode to get a clear shot as my iPhone was not capable.  They then gave me case numbers for each unit and the choice of choosing either the speaker or clock for each one.

So far I have received confirming emails that the two speakers are in process and on the way.  However, the third Dash had a missing serial number and that request had to get escalated to a "supervisor" who did, in fact, authorize the exchange
as a "further" accommodation.  :-)  I haven't received any shipping info on that one yet, but it's only been a week and they said to expect processing to take up to 10 days.

Now looking forward to the magic that Duane and his cohorts can perform to "Chumbyfy" my 3 Dashs!

Cheers,
Patrick

Have 2 Dash and picked up one of each.  The speaker is the way to go.  Sound quality is superior to many similar sized Bluetooth speakers.  The alarm clock feels like something they had in their stock from the 70's.  While functional, to me it would have been a more equitable trade if it had either bluetooth or a USB charging port.  I use my Dash to keep my phone charged on the night stand. 

Thanks to Duane for the unbricking package.  I keep mine in Night mode.  I've read how people schedule night mode and that can defeat the update prompt when the schedule forces the return to Night Mode.  I just don't see how to set a night mode schedule. Would be great to be able to get into alarm mode when connected to the internet.

I know Duane would like to get a gage of how many subscribers would pay the $3 fee.  I have to admit a one time fee seems most desirable.  I've had them since 2010 and I don't think I would have bought the Dash if I knew I needed to pay $36 per year for 7 years.  I definitely would pay a $36 fee for a one time scaled down version that limited the # of apps or pay a continuing $15 annual fee for unlimited apps to choose from. 

What Duane is doing is definitely more valuable than what I'm willing to pay and I so badly want back what I once had with the SONY Dash.  Hopefully the demand is there to make it worth his time and keep the costs reasonable.  I can't believe it cost SONY much to keep a server open...they still keep it available for my other Smart Sony devices.  Does Duane have to keep a server available to serve the Dash or can it access the web through our ISP?

JBond007$ wrote:

Hopefully the demand is there to make it worth his time and keep the costs reasonable.

$3/mo isn't reasonable?  You don't even need to pay that to take advantage of the "chumbification" which restores basic functionality to a device that would be a doorstop without it.

As I understand it the servers are the same ones supporting the Chumby which have been up and running for years.

riblet2000 wrote:

As I understand it the servers are the same ones supporting the Chumby which have been up and running for years.

We went live July 1, 2014, and aside from brief planned downtime for maintenance, we've been online since.

My speaker SBS-XB10 arrived yesterday.  I can see why Sony is giving these away, it's a hideous orange/red color. 

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a7db89.jpg

flyfoam wrote:

My speaker SBS-XB10 arrived yesterday.  I can see why Sony is giving these away, it's a hideous orange/red color. 

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a7db89.jpg

I'll trade you one of my black ones for that, I wanted red, they said I could have black.

on second thought, maybe I should hold out for blue big_smile

Heck depending on what I get. id like the orange/red or theres even a green floating around....
smile

I just called today
Nice.. but a bit hard to understand the call center person... Was over and done the call in roughy 10 min

-j

Got pissed off at the email about loosing support so I called the number and asked to be compinsated for it. They gave me the option of a Bluetooth speaker. $59.99 at Best Buy or a alarm clock valued at 12 bux. I have 2 Bluetooth speakers being shipped next week. Had to give them the serial numbers and take pictures but at least I got something. Now to get my dashes working again!

For any of those out there who have no need for either of Sony's peace offerings, you could get either device and then sell it on eBay to cover your Chumby subscription for a bit...  Just an idea.

I got 3 speakers. I synced two of them to my phone and it sounded pretty good for their size. They give out great stereo sound that way.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Just received my speaker today.  Still need to set it up.

50 (edited by FranksMama 2017-08-02 18:26:56)

I got my speaker today, too.   I got boring black.   I feel like Charlie Brown at Halloween.  "I got a rock." 

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/211130-I-Got-A-Rock....jpg