Re: Collecting some data about the dash failures....

April 2010

#3 Unbrick hack needed

June 2010 - #3

Thanks for the hard work and saving our Dashes!

Duane wrote:

Apparently, sometimes in Special Options mode the device may report the wrong installed firmware version.

I have one unit running 1526 that Special Options reports as running 1186.  Not sure what the cause is, but it's the one I'm using for development of the chumby stuff.  It was a brand new unit out of the box, never activated to Sony's service, and never had an over-the-air update.  It has only ever received a USB update to 1526.

I had that happen *once* on one of mine... Same version too.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

August 2010 3)

Mine was built April 2011.
Initially it did 2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware be rolled back using Special Options.
I tried to load the new Sony firmware and it bricked.

Mine are May 2010 and December 2010.  One got bricked and the other got turned into a clock.  Once I unbricked the stuck one I no longer no which had that build date.

But I do know the one that got bricked had a Sony Dash account tied to it with additional apps installed. The other one had no additional apps and was not tied to a Sony account.

I have 1 Dash, manufactured October 2010.

#3 - Flashed the Sony logo, had to run the USB fix to re-install the old firmware which kept the unit running for a short time.

April 2010  ----  #3  unbrick needed

November, 2010. #3

Sept 2010.  Dash now works as a simple clock.

Manufacture date September 2010

Number 3  Unbrick worked the first time.

october 2010. fw update never got past trying to download the update.

July 2010

Blinking Sony logo after initial update to 1526.

I tried several times in Special Options to update from the reported version (1526) to whatever it is offering (not specified).  It goes through the motions of downloading and installing an update, but on reboot remains stuck at the blinking logo.  No indication that 1.7.1604 was ever installed.

I went through the procedure in the UNBRICK YOUR DASH thread, and it seems to have been successful.  I will unplug the unit and wait to see what you guys come up with.  Thanks for the efforts.

40 (edited by joelsef 2017-07-23 08:46:56)

Have four dashes. All four had these issues:
2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware rolled back using Special Options (first time)

Then tried a few more tries, and the touchscreen stopped working so the UNBRICK hack was necessary
3) It just blinked the Sony LED, but required the "unbrick" hack to rollback the firmware because the touchscreen was unresponsive

Manufacture dates of three of them:

1 (our original): April 2010

2 (two hand me downs/refurbs): March 2010

One more at work had same issues.