Re: UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH

I got the dash rolled back. Now, here's the next question ... how do I stop the update screen from popping up after it's been on for a few minutes?

go to network and select any wifi network. Enter an invalid key and when it doesn't work, it should allow you to run it without a network.

78 (edited by riblet2000 2017-07-21 13:41:03)

If you are handy with configuring your router, block the Sony media IP subnet right after the Dash is up and running.  The address range is 173.230.192.0/19, or 173.230.192.0 - 173.230.223.255.  This should enable normal operation without the update prompt. 

If the Dash reboots you'll have to allow the subnet back through until it completes the authentication stage and then block it again.  Most routers have this mechanism in their firewall or access control config page and once the info is entered it is mostly an "on/off" affair.

It's not optimal but does allow you to use the Dash pending the finalization of its Chumbification.

79 (edited by itsjustmeCB 2017-07-21 14:37:43)

sjspitalli wrote:

go to network and select any wifi network. Enter an invalid key and when it doesn't work, it should allow you to run it without a network.

Hmm, when I try to pick another wifi and make up a fake key, it just defaults back to the one working wifi i originally put in when I restored it.

edit.... Ah, got it to work. Thanks for the help.

It doesn't look like too many people are having issues with the update.zip file (which should be 101K to work).

However, for anyone trying to do this with a Mac, you might come across something strange. When I was trying to download the update.zip file with macOS Sierra, the file would somehow end up being (105K) and the hacking process would not work.

After multiple tries, I downloaded with same file using a Win 10 virtual machine running on the same Mac, and the file corrrctly downloaded as 101K.

This all thanks to Michael's insistance and guidance!

I have tried several times to do this but not working can someone do a video on youtube and put a link up or help please???

nito1976 wrote:

I have tried several times to do this but not working can someone do a video on youtube and put a link up or help please???

A video of the process would be pretty boring, copy files to USB, stick USB into dash, power on dash while pressing menu button, wait.

There are exact instructions in the first post. Everyone that has followed them, exactly, has had success, you can too.

What, exactly, are you doing, every step, in detail, and exactly how is it not working.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

So I connected the Dash to the internet for the hell of it and I have full functionality. The themes are not there but music, video, weather, and apps are all there. I tried to download an app and it worked. I'll let you know how long it lasts. The Sony dialogue about the end of the Dash is still there so my hopes are not high, it might just need a reboot every 24 hours if/when the forced update comes. I have to wonder though, will Sony force the update forever? Doesn't that require running a server? Anyway it works for now and I feel like I beat the system! Ha!

sjspitalli wrote:

Doesn't that require running a server?

Authenticating requires running a server too; without it the Dash doesn't even start up except as a basic clock.

At some point they'll shut everything down.  That's pretty much what we're waiting for.

Hello Duane,

At the outset, let me thank you for your ongoing effort to salvage the Sony Dash.

I have two models (both HID-C10). One model received the 1710 update and is working as a simple alarm clock.

The other received the same update -- and bricked. On July 16, I applied your unbrick software -- and it was
effective, turning the model into a very bright alarm clock.

On July 22, however, I had occasion to move the device. The device powered on; loaded the 1526 software; and
then asked for another 1710 update.

On cue, the device bricked again. But this time, your software did not work.

In the course of trying to apply your software, the device left a readable log on my USB device. I'm no code reader -- though the word "Chumby" appears several times. It also appears as though -- sometime during the week of July 17 - 21 -- Sony re-wrote its 1710 update with code that negates any Chumby attempts to override Sony software.

Hence, I've simply unplugged this model -- and I'll await Chumby's future effort to (I hope) end this idiocy once and for all.

You're getting an update that says it's "1710", not "1604"?

if so, please take a photo of the on-screen update alert and email it to me.

sjpackage wrote:

Hello Duane,
At the outset, let me thank you for your ongoing effort to salvage the Sony Dash.
I have two models (both HID-C10). One model received the 1710 update and is working as a simple alarm clock.
The other received the same update -- and bricked. On July 16, I applied your unbrick software -- and it was
On July 22, however, I had occasion to move the device. The device powered on; loaded the 1526 software; and
In the course of trying to apply your software, the device left a readable log on my USB device. I'm no code reader -- though the word "Chumby" appears several times. It also appears as though -- sometime during the week of July 17 - 21 -- Sony re-wrote its 1710 update with code that negates any Chumby attempts to override Sony software.
Hence, I've simply unplugged this model -- and I'll await Chumby's future effort to (I hope) end this idiocy once and for all.

Please upload those files to https://www.dropbox.com/request/0LalWvEsijRIgX8sdM7H

Duane wrote:

You're getting an update that says it's "1710", not "1604"?

if so, please take a photo of the on-screen update alert and email it to me.

Duane: You may well be right about the update being 1604. Unfortunately, I'm unable to retrieve any information -- because all this model displays is the same imaging other users saw last weekend: the word "SONY" on the screen and the blinking logo beneath it.

diamaunt wrote:
sjpackage wrote:

Hello Duane,

Please upload those files to https://www.dropbox.com/request/0LalWvEsijRIgX8sdM7H

Done.

sjpackage wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

[

Done.

Thank you.

91 (edited by light3944 2017-07-23 20:28:27)

So I have done as instructed in the very first post and what I get is the clock with the message

"Your devise is not connected to the internet. Tap button to connect"

I have tried to get to the menu but when I push the menu button it just tries to connect to the network again.  I was under the impression that I would get to the menu after doing this and thought I could use the DASH to play photos from the USB or at lease get the regular menu.  Did I do something wrong?

Never mind!  I did have to connect briefly so that it would download the control panel!  Now I went back into the settings to loose the network and I do have the menu now!

light3944 wrote:

So I have done as instructed in the very first post and what I get is the clock with the message

"Your devise is not connected to the internet. Tap button to connect"

I have tried to get to the menu but when I push the menu button it just tries to connect to the network again.  I was under the impression that I would get to the menu after doing this and thought I could use the DASH to play photos from the USB or at lease get the regular menu.  Did I do something wrong?

Never mind!  I did have to connect briefly so that it would download the control panel!  Now I went back into the settings to loose the network and I do have the menu now!

you did everything right... Until we release our patch, (should be very soon) the device is going to be, at best, hobbled.

I too have a Dash and after the unbricking, I am now back to 1.7.1526.  I was able to set up the clock and weather without issues.  A few days later, the update message for 1604 has popped up with the only option to update.  This time I am not pressing the update button in the hopes that Duane does his magic at some point . . . .

Still stuck on special options.

I copied 1.7.1526 and unbrick_20170715_1.zip onto 6 different sticks.  I unzipped the unbrick to the 4 files. I have tried this on 6 different sticks. I have also tried the 1526 firmware from 3 different sites as found on here. 

I inserted the stick, Held the menu button as I plugged it in.  I held it for the 3 seconds, it goes through the process with the dots across the bottom of the screen then opens to Special Options.  Still the same, I cannot select any options. Any ideas?

hueyav8or wrote:

I copied 1.7.1526 and unbrick_20170715_1.zip onto 6 different sticks.  I unzipped the unbrick to the 4 files. I have tried this on 6 different sticks. I have also tried the 1526 firmware from 3 different sites as found on here. 

I inserted the stick, Held the menu button as I plugged it in.  I held it for the 3 seconds, it goes through the process with the dots across the bottom of the screen then opens to Special Options.  Still the same, I cannot select any options. Any ideas?

Are you placing the unzipped files at the root of the USB stick?

hueyav8or wrote:

Despite exceptional help from Diamaunt, I'm having the same problem.

Duane's unbricking software first appeared Sat., July 15. His software worked for me Sun., July 16. Hueyav8or and I have had the same issue since Thur., July 20. I'm absolutely convinced that -- evidently sometime between Mon., July 17 and Wed., July 19 -- Sony engineers uploaded a new update that negates ANY attempts at overriding Sony software. It would be just like Sony to do so.

So -- while one of my Dashes works with the 1604 update, the other does not. I'm hoping Chumby can salvage both.

sjpackage wrote:

[ I'm absolutely convinced that -- evidently sometime between Mon., July 17 and Wed., July 19 -- Sony engineers uploaded a new update that negates ANY attempts at overriding Sony software. It would be just like Sony to do so.

The file you sent me shows you didn't use the 1526 firmware, and you didn't name it "update.zip", as per the instructions for the unbricker.

I'm still waiting on your email addressing those issues.

My dashes are still trying to install 1604 when I de-chumdash them to test.

diamaunt wrote:
sjpackage wrote:

[ I'm absolutely convinced that -- evidently sometime between Mon., July 17 and Wed., July 19 -- Sony engineers uploaded a new update that negates ANY attempts at overriding Sony software. It would be just like Sony to do so.

The file you sent me shows you didn't use the 1526 firmware, and you didn't name it "update.zip", as per the instructions for the unbricker.

I'm still waiting on your email addressing those issues.

My dashes are still trying to install 1604 when I de-chumdash them to test.

Diamaunt: I've done exactly -- EXACTLY -- as you advised in your email this afternoon (Tue., July 25).
THE.  DEVICE.  STILL.  DOES.  NOT.  WORK.

While I can be respectful -- to a point -- I really resent the implication that I'm somehow the problem.

sjpackage wrote:

Diamaunt: I've done exactly -- EXACTLY -- as you advised in your email this afternoon (Tue., July 25).
THE.  DEVICE.  STILL.  DOES.  NOT.  WORK.

While I can be respectful -- to a point -- I really resent the implication that I'm somehow the problem.

I don't know what to tell you, every single failure we've seen so far has been either someone not following the instructions (for example, naming the file wrong, having gotten a corrupted file, or using a USB stick the dash doesn't like.

If you're using a USB that has a light on it, it should flicker at least once or twice during the bootup process, if it doesn't, then the Dash doesn't like that USB stick, try another one.

No success.

I followed the installing instructions exactly. I downloaded the 1.7.1526 firmware and the winmd5free program and the sum checked. I downloaded "unbrick_20170715_1.zip" from the blog. Following the instructions, after the dots the "Special Options" mode appeared, but I would not say “very briefly”. The dash eventually rebooted but wound up in the same state as before. I tried a second time with a different dongle that has light. It flashed several times, but not continuously. Unfortunately, the result was the same as before: Sony on the main screen and flashing Sony below.

I have the unbrick.log file. It begins with:

ACE: BlueOcty dash unbricker 1.0.0
2017-07-25 20:43:08 TRACE: =============================
2017-07-25 20:43:08 TRACE: * executing /mnt/usb/unbrick_sync
2017-07-25 20:43:08 backtick('/mnt/usb/unbrick_sync')
2017-07-25 20:43:08 TRACE: ** unbrick_sync result=1

2017-07-25 20:43:08 TRACE: * executing /mnt/usb/unbrick_async
2017-07-25 20:43:08 ClientObject::Initialize() successfully loaded 1 preinstalled libraries
2017-07-25 20:43:08 SensorObject::SensorObject() g_bend_device 0x0
2017-07-25 20:43:08 SensorObject::SensorObject() g_accel_device 0x5e20d0 fd 11
2017-07-25 20:43:08 SensorObject::SensorObject() reading version 5 data, 72 bytes per record
2017-07-25 20:43:08 ClientObject::MainLoop() - masterInstance step time = 0, frame interval = 83
2017-07-25 20:43:08 ExecStreamRequest::Open(nice -n 10 /mnt/usb/unbrick_async) pipe file handle 12
2017-07-25 20:43:08 ClientObject::RegisterForEvent(mmobj=2b54c618) registering event 'FlashPlayer'
2017-07-25 20:43:08 ClientObject::RegisterForEvent(mmobj=2b54c618) registering event 'BIVLCore'
2017-07-25 20:43:09 FrameBuffer::GetDriverValue(alpha) - unable to open /proc/driver/undefinedalpha r/o
2017-07-25 20:43:09 FrameBuffer::SetDriverValue(alpha) - failed to open /proc/driver/undefinedalpha w/o
2017-07-25 20:43:09 FrameBuffer::GetDriverValue(enable) - unable to open /proc/driver/undefinedenable r/o
2017-07-25 20:43:09 FrameBuffer::SetDriverValue(enable) - failed to open /proc/driver/undefinedenable w/o

and continues.  Should I post the fully log here, or send it somewhere?

Thanks for your help.