Topic: Collecting some data about the dash failures....

If you accepted the 1.7.1604 firmware update on your dash, please post the manufacture date of the device and what happened.

Pick one, please:

1) It worked properly as a simple clock
2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware be rolled back using Special Options
3) It just blinked the Sony LED, but required the "unbrick" hack to rollback the firmware because the touchscreen was unresponsive
4) Some other behavior (please specify)

The manufacture date should be printed on a sticker on the bottom on the device near where the power cord attaches.

2 (edited by diamaunt 2017-07-17 17:53:44)

Re: Collecting some data about the dash failures....

Dash#1 May 2010

#4 Accepted update but continues to try to update. Unplugged

Dash#2 July 2010 -- Happy Birthday

Hi Duane, thank you for all the info & work on helping us keep these odd, but beloved devices working.

My dash was made in May, 2010, SN is 8029234

3. Yes. I followed the "unbrick" directions and got the older firmware installed just fine.

Dash #1 July 2010
Dash #2 May 2010

2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware be rolled back using Special Options - Yes

Both of these units were refurbished and purchased direct from Sony.

Thanks for all your work on this,
das335

Only #3.

Date of Mfg. Aug 2010
Update successful.  Worked as simple clock.
Roll back successful except I'm unable to download the control panel

Both of my Dash's are from October 2010.

I accepted the update on both causing both to go to the blinking SONY effectively bricking them.

I rolled back the OS using the Sony update I had saved on my computer from last year when they all bricked. (.1526).

For now I just unplug it, and click the Pandora option quickly before it asks me to update it again.

8 (edited by diamaunt 2017-07-17 17:49:45)

Feb. 2011

July 2010

(And thanks again for fixing this!)

Mine dated September 2010

1. Never worked as a simple clock
2. Bricked when used network to update, but touchscreen still worked
3. Bricked when used USB to update, touchscreen was also disabled
4. Seems like right after unbrick and connect to network if go immediately to night mode, it won't ask for update
    but if hit snooze, it will get the update prompt right away, reboot and go back to night mode will be OK, but
    will only work as a clock (but dimmed)

11 (edited by demarks51 2017-07-18 08:49:29)

March 2011
#1 Keeps forcing update to 1604
June 2011
After firmware update then back to 1526, unit is humming along with all widgets working great.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

July 2010

2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware be rolled back using Special Options.

goldfish wrote:

Mine dated September 2010

1. Never worked as a simple clock
2. Bricked when used network to update, but touchscreen still worked
3. Bricked when used USB to update, touchscreen was also disabled
4. Seems like right after unbrick and connect to network if go immediately to night mode, it won't ask for update
    but if hit snooze, it will get the update prompt right away, reboot and go back to night mode will be OK, but
    will only work as a clock (but dimmed)

please pick only one option.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

joshuahist wrote:

Both of my Dash's are from October 2010.

I accepted the update on both causing both to go to the blinking SONY effectively bricking them.

I rolled back the OS using the Sony update I had saved on my computer from last year when they all bricked. (.1526).

For now I just unplug it, and click the Pandora option quickly before it asks me to update it again.

so, #2 or #3?  which please.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

June 2010

2) It just blinked the Sony LED, but was able have the firmware be rolled back using Special Options

Thanks Duane for all for work!!!  Much appreciated!!!

16 (edited by diamaunt 2017-07-18 11:38:46)

August 2010

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

April 2011

Working as a clock now

Thanks for your effort!

September 2010 #2

Additional info (July 2010, #3 -- reported earlier).  The wife said after I did the boot to "Special Options", she hit "Reset to Factor Defaults" (or something like that).  So, at that point, the touchscreen was active...but after that, when I later did the boot-to-Special, the touchscreen was inoperative.

20 (edited by alphabeta22 2017-07-19 13:27:25)

I have two....one was #2 and one was #3   May 2010
Now I have one at the office, which is fine with the old..I havent touched it, it hasnt asked me to update, but I know its connected to the net there, as Im getting pictures, and some feeds still live, and the weather is updated. Weird. Ill look at the office in the morning to see what the manufacture date is on that one.

Edit: The one that seems to not be affected and still working as it was before all this, with feeds and stuff still active, was March 2011, for whatever good that is...

October 2010

3) It just blinked the Sony LED, but required the "unbrick" hack to rollback the firmware because the touchscreen was unresponsive

Nov 2010

#3. It just blinked the Sony LED, but required the "unbrick" hack to rollback the firmware because the touchscreen was unresponsive

April 2011

I used a small cluttered FAT USB the first try and would get to the screen to restore factory defaults, update from usb, or update from network.  I could choose network or restore factory defaults as my screen worked - but I could not choose usb - if restoring factory defaults it went back to being a brick with flashing logo and sony on the screen.  I actually had a copy of update.zip on my server from 2016 which I used - the same size as a google docs version shared on this forum.

2nd try I slow formatted a 4GB Fat 32 USB - got to the three choices screen but because I did not hold it down long enough and my screen did not work so I could not select anything.

3rd try kept holding it down and it went to the three choices then after 10 seconds or so started updating on its own.  The update was successful and I had the clock only with one alarm and no network.

I decided to connect to the network then download the control panel which still shows my default setup from the sony server.  I then blocked the Dash from further internet connectivity at my router.  It continues to work and under device info shows that Registration code "Failed" "19"  It will continue to work it seems as a clock with multiple alarms, and my favored screen configuration until the power goes out - at which point when it can't connect to the internet it will go back to being a dumb clock with one alarm.

I would be happy if I could get my favored screen to live on the device and have it survive power failures or being unplugged without needing to reauthorize

Mine is 2 and 3, on same dash.

First the update resulted in 2, at which point I tried the same update via USB drive as I only really use the clock feature anyways, which resulted in 3.  I did notice that after the initial failure, in the Special Options menu, somewhere, perhaps when I tried to update again via USB, it showed that the Dash was still on old firmware. I attributed that to the fact that the update failed initially, so tried updating again via USB, at which point the Special Options menu was no longer responsive. I am so thankful for the Unbrick you released! It worked like a charm!

Apparently, sometimes in Special Options mode the device may report the wrong installed firmware version.

I have one unit running 1526 that Special Options reports as running 1186.  Not sure what the cause is, but it's the one I'm using for development of the chumby stuff.  It was a brand new unit out of the box, never activated to Sony's service, and never had an over-the-air update.  It has only ever received a USB update to 1526.