1 (edited by Bron 2017-07-14 12:11:42)

Topic: Reinstalling old firmware and the dumb clock option (BRICKED UNITS)

Hey!  I got the new SONY update and it bricked two of my three units before I got smart and pulled the plug on the third unit. However, I was able to recover the two units that had the problem where they display SONY and the flashing Song logo. Here's what I did:

1. Get a copy of the previous firmware on USB - put only the "update.zip" file on the USB. Insert the USB into your DASH -- it must be in place before power up!
2. Do the SPECIAL OPTIONS start-up (HOLD DOWN the Menu/Snooze button and plug in the power adapter).
3. At the Menu, select Install Updates and then install from USB - wait for the install to complete. It will then reboot.
4. Watch the "tour" and marvel at what you have lost. Choose never display tour again while muttering under your breath at SONY.
5. It will then begin setup. Select your region and time zone. It will then try to connect to the internet.
6. IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET!!! Choose "SKIP" (at the bottom of the screen).
7. Congratulations!  You now have a dumb clock, at least until Duane gets his fix ready! But better than the stupid update screen!

Good luck!

-Bron

Re: Reinstalling old firmware and the dumb clock option (BRICKED UNITS)

Unfortunately some devices are exhibiting touchscreen issues that prevent them from completing your step 3

3 (edited by Bron 2017-07-14 12:11:03)

Thanks, Duane!

I read that.  I had the same issue when I started to the Special Options screen and then inserted the USB.  When I unplugged, inserted the USB, and then powered up to Special Options, mine worked. Don't know if it will help others or not, but wanted to try. I was able to get both of my units to work this way. Left the other one unplugged, just in case, as it's still on the old firmware.

Also, I felt some might not know about the option to skip the internet connection and retain the clock display.

Hoping it will help someone.  :-)

Hello everyone, I would like to try an USB update on my device so any clue on where can I download v1.7.1526 from?
Thanks and cross the fingers...

lu4cn wrote:

Hello everyone, I would like to try an USB update on my device so any clue on where can I download v1.7.1526 from?
Thanks and cross the fingers...

Instructions and file location are on reddit

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks.