1 (edited by jsnola 2017-07-13 15:22:07)

Topic: Video of sony brick update

Result is logo on screen and flashing sony logo below screen after 1.7.1526 A. To 1.7.1604

https://vimeo.com/225358095

Really umbelievable that this device could not be set free instead of bricked.   Plan to try a dispute with American Express against sony store...   will see where it goes

Re: Video of sony brick update

Thanks for posting that video - we're going through it in detail to see what it's doing during the update.

I'm glad someone recorded it!  I have three dashes and one of the three has the flashing logo issue.  I'd be interested what proportion of units have this issue.

It would indeed be nice to know.

It's quite possible that Sony has destroyed enough of the potential user base of chumby-enabled dash devices to significantly alter the business case for supporting them.

5 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2017-07-20 02:24:45)

Hopefully a method of unbricking can be discovered and that information can be disseminated to the owners of bricked Dashes before owners start throwing their units away.

(Update)
And as hoped, a method of unbricking was discovered.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Was able to "unbrick" two of mine, so there is hope!  I posted a thread with the steps I followed. Hopefully will work for some others. Posting here so anyone reading will know there is a chance they can "save" their DASH's until the fix is ready.

I have bricked mine twice, and unbricked it twice, thanks to the unbrick method posted here.

matty wrote:

I'm glad someone recorded it!  I have three dashes and one of the three has the flashing logo issue.  I'd be interested what proportion of units have this issue.

Both of mine will do this every time I take the update.  I've done it 5 or 6 times now and it bricks it every single time.

joshuahist wrote:
matty wrote:

Both of mine will do this every time I take the update.  I've done it 5 or 6 times now and it bricks it every single time.

Stop taking the update!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:

Stop taking the update!

Patient:  Doctor!  It hurts my arm when I do this (waves arm)!
Doctor:  Don't do that!

jhonryan wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

Stop taking the update!

Patient:  Doctor!  It hurts my arm when I do this (waves arm)!
Doctor:  Don't do that!

Eyup, I've been told there is a risk every time firmware is flashed, the 1604 update is clearly flawed... So, even more risky than usual.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.