Re: Sony bricking Dash units, DO NOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE!

gfinockio wrote:
joelsef wrote:

Does anyone know why this update is killing some Dashes and not others?

Where are you getting the firmware to roll it back?

Duane, which firmware will be required for the Chumby software?

I have this sinking feeling... anyone who requested the replacement device got a brick, and everyone else gets an open device.

I'm uncertain there's any connection. Considering I have 2 units and the responses they have (one sometimes works while one didn't) varies frequently, at times it was for months, I think their authentication servers were jacked up for years, possibly on launch, tbh.

Did you try rollback? Please let me know.

I'm curious if there is any connection. It's possible, but I'm inclined to doubt it given how much attention Sony is paying to the dash. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to target specific consumers. TBH, having worked in a callc center, I think they're just requesting the S/IN so everyone doesn't call to get a free clock. I think it'd be easier if they requested the plug (common in recalls so you don't resell a recalled item) if they wanted to absolve themselves of all legal liability of any implied contract and keep the items off the secondhand market.

cioran wrote:

Some users have mirrored the drivers + pdf on rollback already. Check the sonydash reddit. I don't know if I can post the 1.7.1526 drivers here.

Blue Octy (Duane) cannot host the Sony software. That would be a copyright infringement issue. The last thing we need while trying to help abandoned Dash users is a lawsuit from Sony.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Got the same firmware update message.  I didn't upgrade but let it sit. 

Around 4am my alarm goes off.  I have my dash set to go to "night" mode (low light just showing a dim clock) at 9pm.  There was no popup update message.  I hit the "snooze" bar to get back to the menu after shutting my alarm off and NO update message.  Dash was working normal.

I left for work about an hour later and still no update message.  Let's see if its back when I get home.

29 (edited by cioran 2017-07-13 08:23:55)

jhonryan wrote:

Got the same firmware update message.  I didn't upgrade but let it sit. 

Around 4am my alarm goes off.  I have my dash set to go to "night" mode (low light just showing a dim clock) at 9pm.  There was no popup update message.  I hit the "snooze" bar to get back to the menu after shutting my alarm off and NO update message.  Dash was working normal.

I left for work about an hour later and still no update message.  Let's see if its back when I get home.

Interesting, let me know. I noticed it recognizes power down or sleep mode and the volume buttons when the notification is up. Having done some work on vending machines and the like I'm still guessing there's probably a service mode.

edit: Tried in regular mode. Popup blocks the alarm. About to try it in night mode. Pop up takes about 1 minute to come up normal mode.

You may find that the update alert will come back after 24 hours even if you bypass if the first time after startup.  As I recall, that's the way most of these types of update notifications (firmware, control panel, etc).  I don't remember whether the "forced update" works on a different timer.

My update alert comes back on within 5 minutes of rebooting my dash rendering them useless.

I just unplugged mine over fear of this forced update.  As long as we didn't click ok, we should be ok yes?

Duane, will this state be able to be upgraded with your fix as long as are on .1526?

roboticsrob wrote:

I just unplugged mine over fear of this forced update.  As long as we didn't click ok, we should be ok yes?

Duane, will this state be able to be upgraded with your fix as long as are on .1526?

Yes.

Does anyone know what the address is for the update server?

I want to block that address out at the router level so the Dash doesn't see that there is a new update available.

35 (edited by DrNo 2017-07-13 15:22:44)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
cioran wrote:

Some users have mirrored the drivers + pdf on rollback already. Check the sonydash reddit. I don't know if I can post the 1.7.1526 drivers here.

Blue Octy (Duane) cannot host the Sony software. That would be a copyright infringement issue. The last thing we need while trying to help abandoned Dash users is a lawsuit from Sony.

Sony can host it for us -- [[expired url]]

nice wink

DrNo wrote:

I want to block that address out at the router level so the Dash doesn't see that there is a new update available.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way - upon startup, the Sony middleware downloads an XML manifest for the device, which includes links to various components, like the Control Panel, the music stuff and the updates.  If you block one, you block them all.  You can probably block the server from whence the update itself comes, but the notification is triggered from the manifest.

gfinockio wrote:

I have this sinking feeling... anyone who requested the replacement device got a brick, and everyone else gets an open device.

I didn't request a replacement and only one of my Dashes got the update pop up. The other is still plugging along as of this moment.  :?

DrNo wrote:

Sony can host it for us -- http://s02.download.sony.com/US/dash/update.zip

wink

Note that if you check the version.txt file in that update.zip, you will see that it is version 1.7.1604.

terrencegf wrote:

Note that if you check the version.txt file in that update.zip, you will see that it is version 1.7.1604.

Sneaky Sony updated the update.zip file they were hosting. If anyone needs it then the best bet it to checkout reddit.com/r/SonyDash/

Duane wrote:
DrNo wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way - upon startup, the Sony middleware downloads an XML manifest for the device, which includes links to various components, like the Control Panel, the music stuff and the updates.  If you block one, you block them all.  You can probably block the server from whence the update itself comes, but the notification is triggered from the manifest.

Thanks for that info. Rather than trying to figure out if it's possible to spoof the XML manifest server (and then implementing it), I think I'll wait for you guys to release a Dash compatible version of your modified firmware. smile

Mine got bricked last night, that was the first I'd heard of the end-of-life. So it's nothing to do with requesting the clock or speaker.
It looks like it's been so long since I was on here that I had to re-register, so I've been out of the loop for a long time.

I too updated and it was bricked. However I looked around and found the USB stick I used to update is about 6 months ago when it wouldn't upgrade. I inserted the USB, plugged in the dash, held the snooze button until I got a directions screen. Updated successfully and even downloaded my Italian theme. Not long after that I got the message to update to the Brick and haven't done it. Now I will wait for Duane's update. smile

Would manually re-updating with the 1604 update from the Sony site at least turn a "blinking Sony" unit back into a clock?

45 (edited by CtCarl 2017-07-14 16:10:06)

I got this Wednesday and thought, "Yeah, no.  I'm not going to jump out a window just because Sony put up a sign that says 'Leap Now'."

I figured that I'd wait and see what happened in the morning.  The alarm went off as normal and cleared the forced update message.  Even had a power outage last night.  Once power came back, my elderly Dash eventually wheezed and spluttered back to life.  So far, so good!

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred" - Superchicken