1 (edited by cujodu 2017-07-12 09:38:05)

Topic: Sony bricking Dash units, DO NOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE!

I just got a pop-up that says "update available This device has firmware version 1.7 .1526. firmware update is available for your device for version 1.7 .1604. Press OK to install it. "

Im not pressing OK

It's only on one of my Dashes and not the other.

Re: Sony bricking Dash units, DO NOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE!

cujodu wrote:

I just got a pop-up that says "update available This device has firmware version 1.7 .1526. firmware update is available for your device for version 1.7 .1604. Press OK to install it. "

Im not pressing OK

We're trying to set aside some time to figure out what this update is designed to do.  Unfortunately, it's not listed on the Sony support site for the C10 (it still shows 1.7.1526) so there are no release notes or even a link to a clean download.

EDIT:  a couple of folks in Reddit did the install and it seems that this update turns the device into an offline-mode clock, single alarm.  They have apparently also successfully rolled the firmware back to 1.7.1526 over USB.

3 (edited by joshuahist 2017-07-12 13:41:36)

Duane wrote:
cujodu wrote:

Im not pressing OK

We're trying to set aside some time to figure out what this update is designed to do.  Unfortunately, it's not listed on the Sony support site for the C10 (it still shows 1.7.1526) so there are no release notes or even a link to a clean download.

EDIT:  a couple of folks in Reddit did the install and it seems that this update turns the device into an offline-mode clock, single alarm.  They have apparently also successfully rolled the firmware back to 1.7.1526 over USB.

It bricks the device with an added middle finger of only flashing SONY across the screen. If you roll back the firmware, the update comes back and unless you click OK, it makes the Dash useless.

My Sony Dash has finally been bricked.  An "auto-update" that I wasn't able to cancel in time.  Now I have a brilliant little screen on my bedside table that just blinks the brand name at me.  Yay.  What's the status on Chumby supporting the Dash?

Thanks!

I have a Dash C10 and just got the update notice. How soon will the Chumby switchover be available?  Anxiously awaiting.

Today my dash had a pop up blocking everything else which forced me to do the update.  Unplugging it and what not would not make the pop up go away longer then 1 minute.  After the forced update, Its just Sony flashing on the bottom.  I can not believe they intentionally bricked the thing.  That seems illegal to me.

7 (edited by cioran 2017-07-12 14:26:39)

OK 1604 bricks the unit. It removes the control panel completely and leaves you with just a clock. No weather, nothing.

I have 3 (c10) dash units, 2 are hooked up. One was on a more recent firmware than 1526, I updated. Alarm clock. I rolled it back to 1526, still getting push notifications to "update" to 1604. What I found was interesting was that the push notification doesn't interfere/suspend with any functionality, it just obscures the screen. There is no option to decline. I'm going to call them tomorrow to complain.

The other 1 I have hooked up I haven't received any push notifications. AFAIK that one bricked months ago and I had to update it via USB with what I presume are 1526 drivers. I used the same one to update this one.

So is this chumby update software available yet? I assume if it can hook into the 1526 or is custom firmware we're good. I liked the star trek-y looking control panel with the archer clock

I'm also posting on the subreddit btw.

jhonryan wrote:
twoplanters wrote:

And I'm pissed at Sony. It's one thing to pull support services on an old product but they are actively dismantling servers necessary to the Dash..

I would have been happy with a firmware update that removed the hardware requirement to "authenticate" with the home servers.

Bioware did something with their NWN DLC scheme years back, they just authenticate anyone now. Curious if that'd work.

Sinalot wrote:

Today my dash had a pop up blocking everything else which forced me to do the update.  Unplugging it and what not would not make the pop up go away longer then 1 minute.  After the forced update, Its just Sony flashing on the bottom.  I can not believe they intentionally bricked the thing.  That seems illegal to me.

See if you can get the device into "Special Options" mode (connect power adaptor while pressing and holding the MENU/SNOOZE button), and reinstall the 1.7.1526 update.  If not, then your device is probably bricked for good.

I have the same firmware pop up issue. First I did the update and it totally broke it. I was able to reinstall the 1.7.1526
firmware, but once everything came back up, the Firmware update box pop up again. Your only option is "ok" to do the update. I see no way to decline and make the box go away. sad

BTW, to the original topic, I have 3 Sony Dash's.

Just had the forced update. However it was for 1.7.1526 as it was stated on the notice. Turned my Dash into an alarm clock. Will I still be able to install the Chumby fix?

Heather wrote:

My Sony Dash has finally been bricked.  An "auto-update" that I wasn't able to cancel in time.  Now I have a brilliant little screen on my bedside table that just blinks the brand name at me.  Yay.  What's the status on Chumby supporting the Dash?

We're working on it.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks it's really appreciated.

Duane wrote:
Sinalot wrote:

See if you can get the device into "Special Options" mode (connect power adaptor while pressing and holding the MENU/SNOOZE button), and reinstall the 1.7.1526 update.  If not, then your device is probably bricked for good.

Same here.  Screen just says SONY, the Sony logo below the screen is flashing.  I was able to get into the Special Options mode and go through the process of reinstalling the update, but after the re-boot, the result is the same.

I guess Sony doesn't care about anything except Playstation and being a movie studio, but this is really unbelievable.

Dang it, I updated and I've got the "SONY of DEATH" on the screen. I sure hope I can at least roll it back to flash whatever Chumby throws our way. Need to find that old firmware...

16 (edited by cinemom 2017-07-12 21:19:53)

Same with me just now. Saw this topic first, luckily, and then pressed the top button to go from clock to home page, and then saw the "upgrade" message. Ha! Upgrade my hat! Immediately unplugged C10. Now what? So sad.

I didn't update, and I'm thinking that I could shut off home wifi at the point I need to do a chumby update, if available via usb.  Just thinking out loud...not sure if that's feasible.

Same here. Hope can resolve!!!!!thanks

Does anyone know why this update is killing some Dashes and not others?

Where are you getting the firmware to roll it back?

Duane, which firmware will be required for the Chumby software?

joelsef wrote:

I have this sinking feeling... anyone who requested the replacement device got a brick, and everyone else gets an open device.

I didn't even know about the replacement devices until yesterday, after getting my first brick sad.

Roll back firmware can be found on the FIRST STICKY under this Sony Dash forum. I've rolled back, but then end up getting the "Firmware" update screen again that I can't seem to make go away. If I can make that stop, I would love to move my Dashes to this Chumby service.

Well, crap.  Read this post a day too late.  Once that upgrade message comes up, you have no option but to OK.  You can't ignore it.  Stupidly, I clicked okay.  Now there's a Screen that says "Sony" and the Sony logo below the screen blinks at you, taunting you.

Duane to the rescue?

I made the same mistake of running the update, and now my Dash just shows "SONY" on the screen.  Is there somewhere to download the previous firmware version to re-install? I really don't care about all of the other functionality, as long as the clock and advanced alarms still work.

I agree with the posts that bricking a device is not a very nice "end of life" solution...

jes4500 wrote:

I made the same mistake of running the update, and now my Dash just shows "SONY" on the screen.  Is there somewhere to download the previous firmware version to re-install? I really don't care about all of the other functionality, as long as the clock and advanced alarms still work.

I agree with the posts that bricking a device is not a very nice "end of life" solution...

Some users have mirrored the drivers + pdf on rollback already. Check the sonydash reddit. I don't know if I can post the 1.7.1526 drivers here.

25 (edited by cinemom 2017-07-13 06:28:35)

Yes, I got the free Bluetooth speaker, and did get the 1604 update message yesterday. But just unplugged my c10, didn't update. Disgusted with Sony for this!

gfinockio wrote:
joelsef wrote:

I have this sinking feeling... anyone who requested the replacement device got a brick, and everyone else gets an open device.