Topic: Questions about the new service

With the fix, you'll need to create a chumby account and activate using the "ovals" technique - it's just like a regular chumby.

I think I mentioned in another post that we'd blocked the Sony sites (using a hosts file on the device) to simulate a full shutdown and everything worked OK.  A factory reset basically clears any modifications in the "settings" partition (/psp), it does not restore the original firmware, so you should be OK.

Re: Questions about the new service

MMotion11 wrote:

This is awesome!  Duane - much thanks!  I have the latest version (with the disclaimer) on my Dash.  Is there anything I need to do to prepare in advance for this when you roll it out?

The update will be done over USB.  Due to age, the device can be a bit picky about the size and format of the USB dongle.

You'll need something that's 4GB or less in size, formatted as FAT (not FAT32).  If you only have larger sizes, there's some info on reformatting a larger drive to provide a FAT partition here.

The update will be presented as a ZIP file, you'll need to unpack that ZIP file onto the dongle.  You'll need to be sure that the unzip utility you use doesn't do "useful" things like replace line endings in text files, rename the files, etc., which some unpackers on Windows sometimes do.

Hi Duane, any idea when you might open this up, either the final version or as an open beta?  I'm going to be traveling through the end of the month and I'm worried that Sony will shut down my Dash before I get back.

Duane wrote:

You'll need something that's 4GB or less in size, formatted as FAT (not FAT32).

Is 256 MB large enough?

Got my USB drive partitioned down to 3GB formatted as FAT.   Can't wait to try this!

Duane, is there a PayPal address or something we can donate to to help support your work on saving our Dashes?

cddiede wrote:

Got my USB drive partitioned down to 3GB formatted as FAT.   Can't wait to try this!

Duane, is there a PayPal address or something we can donate to to help support your work on saving our Dashes?

https://www.chumby.com/account/subscription

cddiede wrote:

Besides the monthly subscription when things get going, we also have stuff on thechumbystore.com (stickers, charms) that were used in the past by folks to donate.

jeff.vanepps wrote:
Duane wrote:

You'll need something that's 4GB or less in size, formatted as FAT (not FAT32).

Is 256 MB large enough?

yes.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

so i am gathering my unit will still be a paper weight (accidently unplugged it last week) for another week or so?  Or am I missing what I need to do to get it to work again??

brucesherman wrote:

so i am gathering my unit will still be a paper weight (accidently unplugged it last week) for another week or so?  Or am I missing what I need to do to get it to work again??

your unit will be a paperweight until you either get in on a future beta, or Duane releases the update to the public.

How do I or can I get access to the beta?

brucesherman wrote:

It's the final countdown for sure.

MeinLein wrote:

you stay alert for when I post a message asking for more beta testers smile

14 (edited by SeerWhoSees 2017-06-24 05:39:17)

Reading this thread has got Me very excited.   Not so much about the lack of Pandora.  I don't know how to do the internet streaming for music.  Can someone help Me out with that?   Tell Me how to implement it once we get the device up and running again?

I am definitely subscribing to this thread.  Was doing a search about dash and glad I came across this forum. 

Thanks to Duane for helping us device users out.   Sony deserves an class action lawsuit for this stunt.   Too much money for them to just say F you dash users and offer an 20.00 alarm clock as an replacement.  An alarm clock isn't an internet viewer.

diamaunt wrote:
MeinLein wrote:

you stay alert for when I post a message asking for more beta testers smile

Duane, I just found this and I'm very excited!  Just learned of the impending shutdown of my Dash after I had to turn off the power and when it rebooted I got the message just yesterday.  Being from SD, I've got friends who worked on the Dash, and I've enjoyed it next to my bedside ever since the Woot! sale ~5-6 years ago, and glad you're working to un-brick the units.

Looking forward to the beta!

16 (edited by essential 2017-06-30 20:40:31)

Duane, I have two Dash's and the sole purpose of both is just an clock/alarm.

One of my Dash's already won't authenticate, so although it still works as an alarm clock, there is a large annoying "please connect to a network" graphic across the screen and it can no longer do any "smart" alarms, meaning you can't checkmark what days of the week you want it to go off ... it's just same time every day if you use an alarm, and no multiple alarms.

While I wouldn't mind supporting Chumby, I'd rather not pay monthly for an alarm clock.  I was wondering if it's possible to have a "standalone" one-time firmware purchase that doesn't allow access to the store, but restores functionality as a smart alarm clock with the only WiFi connection being to time.nist.gov or time.windows.com just for keeping the clock/date accurate.

Thanks.

On the Chumby are there any internet radio apps or pandora or anything like that?

Crazysal wrote:

On the Chumby are there any internet radio apps or pandora or anything like that?

Several, including Pandora, shoutcast, blue octy radio.

Definitely willing to beta test. I'll keep an eye out.
cool

Looks like my Dash is officially a brick now.  Eagerly awaiting this new firmware release!  Thank you Duane!

Funny this: I was talking to my brother, as he also has a Dash. His is still running, and he was totally unaware that Sony had shut down the servers.  I guess his will be dead if he ever power cycles the unit.  He was very pleased to learn of Duane's efforts.

kxrf wrote:

he was totally unaware that Sony had shut down the servers

It is hard to tell if it is Sony shutting them down or just their normal spotty operation.  Mine is still going too, but since we haven't been able to do much of anything with the website for months it just sits there, melancholy, awaiting for it's rebirth.

essential wrote:

One of my Dash's already won't authenticate, so although it still works as an alarm clock, there is a large annoying "please connect to a network" graphic across the screen and it can no longer do any "smart" alarms, meaning you can't checkmark what days of the week you want it to go off ... it's just same time every day if you use an alarm, and no multiple alarms.

While I wouldn't mind supporting Chumby, I'd rather not pay monthly for an alarm clock.  I was wondering if it's possible to have a "standalone" one-time firmware purchase that doesn't allow access to the store, but restores functionality as a smart alarm clock with the only WiFi connection being to time.nist.gov or time.windows.com just for keeping the clock/date accurate.

Thanks.

I would like to see an answer posted about this also.

jimt29 wrote:
essential wrote:

Thanks.

Details will be forthcoming in the future, once Sony has shut down and is out of the picture.

I would be willing to do the same thing to restore alarm clock functionality with night dimming.

diamaunt wrote:
jimt29 wrote:
essential wrote:

Thanks.

Details will be forthcoming in the future, once Sony has shut down and is out of the picture.