Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

Dash owner here as well. Excited for a possible solution to keep my dash running.

Hi, I have two Dash C10, and I'm very excited about the possibility to keep using them after July.

I mostly cherish them as a network-synchronized clock with a scheduled low brightness option, since I use one in my bedroom and the other in my home theater. Rarely use any of the other features anymore, and couldn't care less about Netflix or other video services on it.

I have 2 c10s

I have one, and this hack sounds a lot better than a Pi with a lousy monitor, requiring lots of customizing above my skill level as a middle aged lawyer.  And a lot less time consuming than suing Sony.

2 Dash C10s, bedroom alarm clock and bathroom clock.

Nearsighted wrote:

And a lot less time consuming than suing Sony.

and we're a lot more fun over here, too!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Nearsighted wrote:

I'm not really sure what the basis would be to sue Sony.  The product was officially supported for about seven years, which is longer than a *lot* of products.

Some of the earliest chumby are now about 12 years old and many are still running today.  Since they came out, here's a short sample list of "hot" tech products that came and went, or on life support during that period:

Blackberry Playbook
Amazon Fire phone
Twitter Peek
Microsoft Zune
Microsoft Band
Cisco Umi
HP Touchpad
Google Nexus Q
Microsoft Kin
Mobile ESPN
HD DVD
Joost
Nike Fuel Band
Fitbit Force
Little Printer
Pebble Smartwatch
GoPro Karma
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Google Glass
Motorola Atrix
Motorola Xoom
Dell Venue
Logitech Squeezebox
Boxee Box

That's not counting various crowd sourced hardware products that flamed out after getting a lot of hype.

233 (edited by jhonryan 2017-06-21 10:08:34)

Duane wrote:
Nearsighted wrote:

I'm not really sure what the basis would be to sue Sony.  The product was officially supported for about seven years, which is longer than a *lot* of products.
<snip>
That's not counting various crowd sourced hardware products that flamed out after getting a lot of hype.

I don't recall seeing an expiration date on the box when I bought my Dash. 

I have a 3com Audrey that still works.  Granted, now it's more a novelty shelf decoration, but it shows a clock face and streams MP3s and "blinks" certain colors when certain web pages I control are accessed (I had it blink whenever we received snail mail -- but when we moved we ended up with a "in door" mail slot).  This is a custom image -- but even the STOCK image still works. 

And my 80GB Zune still works just fine.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure failure of Sony to disclose that could be cause.

At least my Zune Hd  Dell Venue and Hp touchpad don't require a proprietary server connection to boot-up
If doing the right thing was a corporate requirement  Sony could have given a final firmware patch to enable
manual start up and clock settings
The only functions I use on dash are clock and alarm
I am one of those people who need a dark room to sleep and the power save brightness on the Dash is prefect for that

Suing Sony is a silly idea. For what purpose? It would be laughed at by any lawyer. I wish the Dash would continue like everyone else who bought one. BUT technology changes and you move on. It would have been considerate of Sony to plan on the demise of the Dash and let it work without the server. I have a Pebble and it works okay even though it is not supported after Pebble was sold to FitBit.
What you can focus on is that DUANE is extending the life of the Dash and that you can be thankful for. Some complain about what they don't have and others are thankful for what they do have. What will you chose to do?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

236 (edited by jhonryan 2017-06-21 12:35:35)

demarks51 wrote:

Suing Sony is a silly idea.

Yeah.  The point I was making was in response to there not being cause.  I think there might be cause.  Not that I think it's a good or practical idea.

"What you can focus on is that DUANE is extending the life of the Dash and that you can be thankful for. Some complain about what they don't have and others are thankful for what they do have. What will you chose to do?"

Some also can hold two or more thoughts at the same time.  One can be very happy the direction of Duane's efforts and ALSO be critical of Sony and contemplate if they did something to warrant a lawsuit.

That said, I think the direction this discussion will go is way in to the "negative zone" and wont be at all helpful in this thread -- so that's the last *ILL* say about it.

And "oh".  I've got a  two p2s and ptrs myself -- picked up the spares at a Target fire sales a few months after Pebble closed with Fitbit.

jhonryan wrote:

Some also can hold two or more thoughts at the same time.  One can be very happy the direction of Duane's efforts and ALSO be critical of Sony and contemplate if they did something to warrant a lawsuit.

The amusingly ironic part of all this is Duane's system will undoubtedly work better than Sony's has for the last three years.  The latter has been down or had some sort of iFlu for at least half of that time.

I for one welcome our new Blue Octy masters. smile

riblet2000 wrote:

The amusingly ironic part of all this is Duane's system will undoubtedly work better than Sony's has for the last three years.  The latter has been down or had some sort of iFlu for at least half of that time.

That's very likely to be true. Using the Sony CP as the reference, I've found several bugs which I've been addressing in the new one.

I wrote the original dash CP back in 2009 so I know a lot about how it works, and the chumby 8 CP shares a lot of the same basic code - since that time it has been worked on by other folks besides me.  That's not to say that my version didn't have bugs - but much of the stuff I'm finding is in sections that were added later.

riblet2000 wrote:
jhonryan wrote:

I for one welcome our new Blue Octy masters. smile

I don't want to talk about the reliability of our system... because I'm wary of jinxing it...

I will say, however, that the Blue Octy servers are run by people that care.

Duane wrote:

That's not to say that my version didn't have bugs .

says the man in the flowing robes and pointy hat. big_smile wink

I have a Dash, would love a fix for it.

Duane I have one too.  Excited to see your other recent post that things are booting!

I have a Dash which, as of this morning, is still working as an alarm.  I would be thrilled if you could pick up support.  Thank you!!

I have a Sony Dash HID-C10 that I would like to save and use 'as Chumby' after Sony quits on us.

You've come to the right place.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Another Sony Dash in the frozen north

Another Dash owner that doesn't want to re-purpose his into a door-stop!

another Dash owner... please keep them up and running! Thanks in advance!

Dash owner here!

Thanks for the effort!

SonyNoBaloney wrote:

Another Dash owner that doesn't want to re-purpose his into a door-stop!

wellll, it IS the right shape.