Topic: Dashes failing to load CP

Well...  mine was working properly until earlier today when a quick power loss made it reboot and then kaput.

So, I can say that at least for me the last day has come smile

Re: Dashes failing to load CP

Same here - Rebooted yesterday and DEAD: Unable to download, blah, blah, blah....  sad

Dashes back up again this morning. Could Sony be doing this so that their *customers* will wish the whole system would completely crash instead of coming and going? Had to replace my bedside Dash for my kitchen I3.5 to get me up this morning. I woke up before it went off. It is nice to be able to Skip an alarm or unskip. Dashes don't have that feature.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

not here in the chi area sad

demarks51 wrote:

Could Sony be doing this so that their *customers* will wish the whole system would completely crash instead of coming and going?

If that were the case we'd all have been gone during the months-long server outage awhile back. hmm

It's hard to say what's going on - I did some probing to see if the section that handles the chumby side is still operating, and it appears to be for the most part.  It's the clone made from the chumby systems in late 2011.

For instance, the call that gets a feed of the most recently added widgets is working (http://dash.dash.sel.sony.com/rss/recentwidgets).  Some calls are returning the "system is going away" message, which seems to imply that these are happening because of a web server configuration setting, not an actual change to the services.

The section that takes care of authorization and providing the device manifest (including the Control Panel) is handled by Sony's servers - this appears to be where the system is currently behaving in the manner that people are seeing on the devices.  This mechanism also handles the Bravia TVs.  In some cases in the past, the outages have affected both the dash devices *and* the TVs, other times not.  I don't have a Bravia TV, so I don't know if that's the case now.

Now you can't change themes.

demarks51 wrote:

Now you can't change themes.

That's been broken for a long time - the theme catalog would come down, but the theme files didn't exist.  I don't think many folks noticed because changing themes has been a relatively rare action.  Most people stayed with the default because they didn't know you could change them, or simply found one they liked and stuck with it.

The reason I noticed is that I did *another* firmware update since my Dash keep showing that it could not download the CP. I guess when the server came back up my unit went with the default "Dashboard" theme. I tried to change it and no go. You know your customers! I chose a theme for each of the Dash units and just kept them on that. I rarely even change channels. Clocks (Sky Happenings) for the bedroom, weather apps for the other two Dashes.

Th dash has a built-in theme it uses when it can't download anything.  When you do a firmware update, one of the things it does is clear out any downloaded files.

Looks like Sony has deleted all posts related to the dash on their community forum.

My Dash went down for a few days figured I'd try again and it came back up now I have a software update, anyone else?

What type of update is it?  It should say in the dialog.

3 Dashes working here without an update nudge.

Duane wrote:

Looks like Sony has deleted all posts related to the dash on their community forum.

Yeah I think that happened a few weeks ago.  It's one of the reasons I ended up here.

OK, If anyone gets an update notification on their dash, please post whatever info you can about it - in particular, any information about a *firmware* update (as opposed to a Control Panel update).

Duane, for what it's worth...two of my Dashes, one on the latest F/W and in use right up until about a week ago, and another on a very old F/W that hasn't been run in years, are both back up today after re-flashing them with the 1.7.1526 update.

The older C10 prompted me for the browser update (I chose "Later"), and that unit came up looking like a new Dash with the default theme.  The other unit had all my channels, RSS feeds, etc, right where I'd left them.

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred" - Superchicken

Thanks for the information.  That would seem to imply this has been a temporary outage, not the Final End.

I presume so.  What's strange about it is that I even had to reflash the unit that was already on 1.7.1526.  I tried multiple factory resets over several days to no avail.

When I dragged the old unit out of the attic, it fired right up on the old F/W and loaded the Control Panel just fine.  But when I relocated it to the bedroom, it wouldn't authenticate.  Factory resets made no difference.

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred" - Superchicken

20 (edited by jmatherly421 2017-06-21 21:00:38)

Duane wrote:

OK, If anyone gets an update notification on their dash, please post whatever info you can about it - in particular, any information about a *firmware* update (as opposed to a Control Panel update).

My Dash is on 1.7.1526 and getting prompt for a software update it doesnt state if it's a control panel or firmware update.

Edit...Its a browser update.

This happened to me and I reloaded the firmware from USB.  It failed the first time with the same "failing to load CP" message but worked the second time I tried.

I have experienced a fail and then I reboot and then is all well, a few times in the last very months. One time recently.