Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

I have a Dash and love it.
Thanks for hope.

PS. I did the screen brightness hack to reduce the minimum brightness at night. Hope we can keep that with whatever you're planning!

yeloshak wrote:

PS. I did the screen brightness hack to reduce the minimum brightness at night. Hope we can keep that with whatever you're planning!

I'm not familiar with that hack - please tell me more...

Another C10 owner anxiously awaiting a solution. Thanks for all of your work Duane!

Hello, I write from Spain. Very sad, three units c10.

I have a dash...power went out on Friday evening. Haven't been able to start up since. Cannot download screen like everyone else.

I have 3. Hoping they won't turn out to be bricks

I have one and it stopped being able to download the control panel on Friday 6/16.

I have 2 Sony Dashes.  Thanks for all your efforts!

I have a dash.  I don't use it for much other than an alarm clock, but I'd like to retain that function and would donate to a good cause for the privilege.

beefy1986 wrote:

I have a dash.  I don't use it for much other than an alarm clock, but I'd like to retain that function and would donate to a good cause for the privilege.

you can donate by buying stickers at the chumby store, or you can subscribe to the service and get all the widgets.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I have a dash and live in Texas we had power failures today like 3 I guess cause it is freaking hot. I checked my Dash it gives the Control Panel error will not come back on no matter what I do. Has the latest firmware and checked Sony website said EOL is July. Sounds like Sony.....Sony Only, Not You...........S O N Y. All they care about is Sony not you.

New member here.  Have had two dashes for years.  Displayed the error message the last few days but I rebooted today and successfully displayed the normal screen and functions.  Very disappointed that Sony's leaving us high and dry but thankful these useful gadgets will have a second lease on life via the work done to save them described in this forum.  Really like the Dash's form factor and usefulness - glad they will live on after July 1st...

I have 2 Dash system, plus we gave one to my father-in-law a while ago.  We mostly use it for an alarm clock and not much else.  I also have a chumby here at work that just is a clock.  I hope to be able to keep the Dash system going as a clock at least.

3 Dash ... very p'd sony pulled the plug... patiently waiting for Duane to save our a**es smile

I have 1, and my in-laws have 3.

Glad to see someone is keeping this device alive!

Over all of these years, I cannot believe no one has made anything else close to it!  All I need is a touchscreen alarm clock with simple things like a weather app piped in via rss...I mean c'mon! I guess I need to buy the new Amazon "Show".  sad

mscappa wrote:

Over all of these years, I cannot believe no one has made anything else close to it!  All I need is a touchscreen alarm clock with simple things like a weather app piped in via rss...I mean c'mon! I guess I need to buy the new Amazon "Show".  sad

It was expensive.  I purchased mine at fire sale prices last 2011 or early 2012 (can't recall).  I had planned on ripping it apart or seeing if I could hack it in to something else.  But when I turned it on, configured it for the first time I fell in love with how it worked.  It's a CLOCK.  It's shaped like a CLOCK.  It has buttons in the right places -- it's just about perfect as a clock.

It's still not $150+ perfect... but more than the $40 or so I paid for mine way-back-when(tm).

I could cobble together something similar for about $50 using a raspberry pi or some-such but it wouldn't be a CLOCK unless I put a hell of a lot more time and money into a case and code to power it.

I'll subscribe to chumby.com to extend the life of my "clock" as I still love it.  Even if it's functionality is reduced.  What Sony hit the nail on was the engineering on it's design.  Honestly, I thought it was clunky when I first got it -- but that's because I was looking at it as if it were a tablet.  That changed the moment I saw it for what it was.  A "smart clock".

218 (edited by mscappa 2017-06-19 12:09:31)

Think we're saying the same thing. I love mine in all of it's quirkiness! The product itself, for what it is/was is perfect.  The software on the other hand was confusing, clunky and glitchy.

So I was just saying, that I'm surprised no other company hasn't built a nicely designed product with a simple touch screen clock radio, alarm and weather app.  The new Amazon product coming in at $250+/- will do it all, but it's obviously more than just an alarm clock with weather.

And why is Sony walking away from such a great product with no other "real" competitors in the space?  Why not just spend a little money and improve the software and bring it up to current web standards and own the market!?

jhonryan wrote:
mscappa wrote:

It was expensive.  I purchased mine at fire sale prices last 2011 or early 2012 (can't recall).  I had planned on ripping it apart or seeing if I could hack it in to something else.  But when I turned it on, configured it for the first time I fell in love with how it worked.  It's a CLOCK.  It's shaped like a CLOCK.  It has buttons in the right places -- it's just about perfect as a clock.

It's still not $150+ perfect... but more than the $40 or so I paid for mine way-back-when(tm).

I could cobble together something similar for about $50 using a raspberry pi or some-such but it wouldn't be a CLOCK unless I put a hell of a lot more time and money into a case and code to power it.

I'll subscribe to chumby.com to extend the life of my "clock" as I still love it.  Even if it's functionality is reduced.  What Sony hit the nail on was the engineering on it's design.  Honestly, I thought it was clunky when I first got it -- but that's because I was looking at it as if it were a tablet.  That changed the moment I saw it for what it was.  A "smart clock".

I have 3 Dash C10's and a Chumby.  I mostly use them to play Pandora, commercial free.  I realize that may not be possible with Duane's "Dash V2," so now I am looking at whether to pay for Pandora 1, Spotify or Apple Music. 

:-( 

Life was good for so many years ...

Pat

Did I post already? I can't remember ... Anyhoo, I have:

3 C-10s
2 B-7s
2 B-70s

I sounds like there is hope for my C-10s and not so much for the Bs ...

I really like them for what they are, I've subscribed to the service and I'll be happy with what ever Duane can provide.

I have 1 that I use daily, my 2 sons have 1 each.  Three more for the support pool.

i have a c10 too been down since friday but  service is back thanks god lol. i havent use its other function as they were very limited the only music app was youtube which has been removed also due to the lack of  battery so always been a clock and a weather station which i would like using again as is at least.. instead of kidding the Sony Dash Sony status open and Nellis the option to install I don't know who Android or something and it's not like if you wouldn't be able to provide like a installation software it's not that complicated or something I guess anyway I would subscribe to chumby if they take subscriber from Canada and I don't mind using a VPN if I have to

223 (edited by twoplanters 2017-06-20 05:50:39)

I'm a Dash owner and very interested in your efforts to  maintain Dash functionality.

And I'm pissed at Sony. It's one thing to pull support services on an old product but they are actively dismantling servers necessary to the Dash.

Kudos to those working to solve the problem.

I'm also a Dash owner (sorry, at work, not sure what version).  Looking forward to your software so I can keep using my Dash.  It is the best alarm clock solution out there.

twoplanters wrote:

And I'm pissed at Sony. It's one thing to pull support services on an old product but they are actively dismantling servers necessary to the Dash..

I would have been happy with a firmware update that removed the hardware requirement to "authenticate" with the home servers.