Re: Success!

OMG please save this. I dont know how I'd adjust to a new alarm. Ive had the same routine since 2010. Wake up to sonar, polar bear webcam stream. If I lose this simple pleasure in the beginning of my day, I'm going to lose my shit. Duane, you're the man.

Stupid question... is Sony aware this exists?  (The enthusiasts and this site.)  Maybe they would be willing to not nuke the devices.

Every evidence shows that Sony is abandoning the Dash to sudden death. The last time I talked to a *customer service* person they were telling me that the Dash was a legacy item. Their last attempt to satisfy Dashers was when they came out with the firmware fix for some changes in their system. It became too far of stretch for them to continue things as normal. For all we know there was a change in management and that person(s) didn't see the need to continue support for a device that provides no income to Sony. Sony would not necessarily be looking for what happens to Dash customers although some in the support people probably know what is happening over here.
I am just glad Duane has found a way.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Since Sony is terminating support for the device, it would show good faith and make sense, to show how the partition is unlocked...

Duane, or anyone -  I suppose you've seen this link on claims that someone rooted the Dash:

reddit.com/r/SonyDash/comments/2e5gs5/ive_rooted_my_dash_hidc10_heres_how/

It's dated 2 years ago. Has anyone tried it?

Just wondering if it works or if the files can be improved in any way...

Please lets root this or build a bootable ROM.   smile

(thanks for Duane and anyone else for working on the Dash or trying to!!!

deegge wrote:

Since Sony is terminating support for the device, it would show good faith and make sense, to show how the partition is unlocked...

so that sony can close that door? no, that would be a bad idea.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
deegge wrote:

so that sony can close that door? no, that would be a bad idea.

Pretty sure they meant Sony doing the showing, but I doubt that will happen.

deegge wrote:

Duane, or anyone -  I suppose you've seen this link on claims that someone rooted the Dash:

reddit.com/r/SonyDash/comments/2e5gs5/ive_rooted_my_dash_hidc10_heres_how/

It's dated 2 years ago. Has anyone tried it?

Just wondering if it works or if the files can be improved in any way...

Please lets root this or build a bootable ROM.   smile

(thanks for Duane and anyone else for working on the Dash or trying to!!!

That particular exploit took advantage of the fact that the /psp partition, which contains a crontab linked from /etc, wasn't one of the ones that was signed.  What you could do was unpack the firmware, add an entry to crontab that would execute something on a timer, repack the firmware, then perform a firmware update.

After that exploit was made public, Sony released a firmware update that disabled it.  It looks like they simply disabled cron.

The technique we're using doesn't require a modification to the firmware.  Since Sony has a history of closing such holes, and for the time being, the device is officially still "supported", it might be risky to make our technique public.

34 (edited by demarks51 2017-05-22 07:19:56)

Okay. I am right in assuming that on the day (or shortly after) Sony pulls the plug on the Dash, Blu Octy will make the "fix" available? Sounds like a download to a thumb drive and inserted in the USB port to alter the Dash so that it can speak to the BluOcty servers? I don't need details since Sony is listening.

Does anyone know exactly when, other than sometime in July?

Just a little progress report...

The Control Panel is still under development, I'd say I'm at about 75% complete.  We've simulated the behavior of a complete shutdown of Sony's systems to check to see if the device will still make it far enough through the boot process to hit our software, and that seems to be working.

The Control Panel will be more-or-less on par with the existing one, though I will not be supporting the "Parental Controls" functionality.  As mentioned before, the device activation will be the standard chumby "ovals" method, so none of that "device/suit mismatch" craziness.

I'll try to post some screenshots soon.

Hi Duane... Everyone
Still around...
But interested in trying the Dash being enabled by USB fob smile

Still subscribed too.. smile

Duane wrote:

Just a little progress report...

The Control Panel is still under development, I'd say I'm at about 75% complete.  We've simulated the behavior of a complete shutdown of Sony's systems to check to see if the device will still make it far enough through the boot process to hit our software, and that seems to be working.

The Control Panel will be more-or-less on par with the existing one, though I will not be supporting the "Parental Controls" functionality.  As mentioned before, the device activation will be the standard chumby "ovals" method, so none of that "device/suit mismatch" craziness.

I'll try to post some screenshots soon.

Hey Duane,

When you talk about the current Control Panel, do you mean the one that you showed a picture of in the beginning of this thread or are you speaking of the default Sony one that has a color changing background? Did you get to test it out on the B7 and B70?

Thanks!

The Control Panel is what you get when you press the top button, it also hosts the "theme" and the apps that are playing.  The screen shot above was a custom theme, with the widgets running in the lower left.  I think we'll initially ship with a single theme as remaining time until the shutdown is short, and then add more themes later.

Unfortunately, at this point, we will not be able to support the B7 and B70 devices, only the C10.  We haven't yet discovered a way to get into the boot sequence of those devices.

Fantastic!  Thanks so much for your work on this.  I'm looking forward to getting a copy of your fix.

Here's a couple more pics:

http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash1.jpg

http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash2.jpg
http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash3.jpg
http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash4.jpg
http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash5.jpg
http://files.chumby.com/dashpix/dash6.jpg

Nice!!!!

Oh, I'm liking that a lot! Thank you.

These photos are from the first private beta.

Some of these screens are still in development, so they may not match exactly what you see in these screenshots when the software is released.

One nice thing we were able to get working is to run the new Control Panel without requiring the USB dongle to stay plugged in.

I like all the extra info on the screen. Is there a way to get the time and weather on the same page or do you need to switch between them manually? Pandora still work or is that a Sony Bravia thing?

In that particular theme, the weather and time will flip back and forth on their own, or you can hit the tabs on the left.

Pandora support is still an open issue, probably won't be in the initial release.

46 (edited by demarks51 2017-06-16 12:10:16)

So all the My Stream/Internet Streamer stations should be saved on the unit when the change happens?
No Slacker? Pandora would be a plus. What about YouStreams?

The My Streams/Internet Streamer stations should survive.  The underlying implementation for this section is the same, since the dash and C8 used the same code.

Slacker was a part of the BIVL media offerings, so it will go away.  Chumby had a working Slacker implementation at one point, but was never able to reach a suitable contractual arrangement.

48 (edited by Sinalot 2017-06-17 00:46:29)

Surprisingly, my Dash didn't die until June 16th, 2017 (No idea how my weather app and all was working still).  I had no clue about the discontinuation of support until I began my google hunt.  Luckily, the hunt landed me here!  I am very grateful that someone is offering some sort of answer to a $200.00 paper weight (yeaH! I bought the stupid thing early, sorry!).

However, let me just point out one small thing...the STNG control panel, is beyond all sorts of possible awesomesauce I ever could have possibly envisioned on my own without punching myself in the fucking face!  Please!... puh-leEASE release this ASAP!

And, while you are at it...could I possibly submit a list of everything I own to be somehow resolved in the same STNG format?!  Seriously; Thank You!

This is awesome!  Duane - much thanks!  I have the latest version (with the disclaimer) on my Dash.  Is there anything I need to do to prepare in advance for this when you roll it out?

MMotion11 wrote:

This is awesome!  Duane - much thanks!  I have the latest version (with the disclaimer) on my Dash.  Is there anything I need to do to prepare in advance for this when you roll it out?

you have to have an account on www.chumby.com, and an active subscription if you want widgets.