Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

Proud Dash owner to compliment my 6 Chumby devices.

I have a dash.

153 (edited by ASDadam 2017-06-05 09:47:20)

Lurker here.  Have 2 dashes, and now two Bluetooth speakers (Thanks Sony), and LOVE these little things.  Would love to see them remain functional.  Keep up the good work!

I have a C10 and am interested in subscribing if the effort works out.

I have a Dash and would love to be able to continue using it after the Sony network goes dark.

I have a Dash and would like to keep using it!

Great news! I own 2 dash devices and am glad they wont be boat anchors next month!!!!

Got one! Looking for support to continue life in a post-Sony universe.

1 Dash, 1 Chumby 8, 1 Insignia 8.

I am definitely interested in keeping the Dash alive.

I have a Dash

I have a c10 and I use it to play white noise while my wife and I sleep and also to play music for my soon-to-be-born son (September) on weekend mornings.  It's still a great little alarm clock and I really wish basic functionality would be preserved.

Looks like mine just went down again remotely, but a power cycle saved it!  I'm getting nervous. wink

I have 2 Dashes.  I would like to sign up for the subscription service.

Duane wrote:

We won't really see a lot of traffic about the dash shutdown until it actually happens.  Sony didn't send out an email or press release, and the system is "sort of" running.  Unless something goes wrong, nobody's going to go to the website - in fact, many wouldn't bother since it hasn't worked since December.

I'd guess that most dash users currently using their devices have no idea the system's going away.

I only found out because someone at Sony let me know - they knew I had an inventory of new dashes that I was selling on thechumbystore.com, and suggested I might want to stop.  I have, for now, but might put them back on sale at some point.

I found out the other day when a poorly formatted message appeared at the bottom of the screen with the same text that the "mydash" website has.  I pressed a button and it went away.  I haven't seen it since.

tirebiter wrote:

I found out the other day when a poorly formatted message appeared at the bottom of the screen with the same text that the "mydash" website has.  I pressed a button and it went away.  I haven't seen it since.

I think they added that message as part of the menu popup - if you hit the top button it will probably reappear.

Duane wrote:

if you hit the top button it will probably reappear.

That's what mine does.

One more, reporting in. smile

The replacement Control Panel should be able to use any streams you already have configured, since they're stored on the device, not Sony's servers.  It's been renamed "My Streams" to be consistent with the normal chumby nomenclature but uses the existing configuration files.  The various "USB" media sources have also been renamed, i.e. "My Music Files", etc.

Duane wrote:

The replacement Control Panel should be able to use any streams you already have configured, since they're stored on the device, not Sony's servers.  It's been renamed "My Streams" to be consistent with the normal chumby nomenclature but uses the existing configuration files.  The various "USB" media sources have also been renamed, i.e. "My Music Files", etc.

What would be the odds of getting NFS or SMB access to the USB drive?  It would be great to be able to access that across the network to add/remove music easier.

jhonryan wrote:

What would be the odds of getting NFS or SMB access to the USB drive?  It would be great to be able to access that across the network to add/remove music easier.

I'm not currently adding any new binaries to the system.  It's possible the firmware has some NFS or SMB support that simply isn't used, in which case it might be possible to get it going, but if not, then it would have to be added.

The focus at the moment is getting the replacement CP out by the shutdown date, not adding any new functionality.

I will be offering an option to enable sshd, so you would be able to use scp to transfer files to the USB drive.

Duane wrote:
jhonryan wrote:

I will be offering an option to enable sshd, so you would be able to use scp to transfer files to the USB drive.

That would be awesome.  Terminal access as well?

jhonryan wrote:

That would be awesome.  Terminal access as well?

Yes, using ssh you'd be able to get a shell with root, just like a normal chumby.

I have 1 (maybe 2 Dashes - relative has 1, but don't know yet his situation).
I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Im a technical noob fyi