101 (edited by jmarcus25 2017-05-07 19:59:54)

Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

afischer15 wrote:

Logging in to a 6 year old account to post...

I have a C10 that I recently took apart and started sizing up for a raspberry pi, but it looks like I may be putting it back together!

Yeah what about puting Chumby on the Raspberry Pi with 7" touch screen?!

retrogeek wrote:

Should I unwrap the one and update it with the firmware from USB just in case?

At least download the firmware update.  As long as you have it, you should be able to update the device later.

103 (edited by washerebefore 2017-05-08 08:41:33)

We have 2 and want to use them past July , one is unopened and the other works fine right now .. just downloaded the firmware from Sony for safe keeping.. Thanks for the tip..

I have a Dash, and would be interest in a Chumby port.

Thanks!

I have a Sony Dash. Would be interested in keeping it alive somehow after July.

106 (edited by terryo 2017-05-08 14:07:26)

I have 2, one is still in a box unactivated.  I'm definitely interested in keeping mine alive. I mainly use the old presets for internet radio in Blue Octy - would love to see it updated - and time/weather/headlines.

ETA: Honestly, I'd prefer a one time payment to a subscription if at all possible. Unless it's pretty minimal.

I have 1 Chumby and 1 Dash...

1 Dash here

I have 2 dashs

I have a dash as well.

I have a Dash.
just joined this site today, I'm REALLY hoping to be able to save it with your help.
Thanks in advance!

I have one Dash.

Thanks for your work on this, Duane

I too have a Dash and just read that Sony is terminating it's functionality on July and hoping for a solution to keep my Dash alarm clock working.

I have three.  Trying to figure out how I'll adjust if they're gone....

I have three all working. Looking forward to continue using them beyond sony's end of support.

I just learned about Sony's cutoff date and would be happy to subscribe to keep my C10 going after July.

I have a Dash and would really like to keep it going.  I'd subscribe to keep it going.

I have a dash and would be happy to subscribe to keep it alive.

I have two dashes.

I've been thinking about this since my Dash C10 showed the message about the end of support in July and I saw in Sony Community a link to this Chumby forum for the idea of possible support for the Dash by Duane.  Thanks Todd47 for the link and thanks Duane for considering this.
Don't know if this is possible, but I would rather pay to have a solid set of instructions to root the Dash and use it without need for server support from Sony or Chumby....just like an unlocked smart phone can download/install/use apps independent of phone service.  My reason is that the Dash runs so slow, it probably has a very weak processor (and I've always had problems with streaming on my Dash - not related to wifi which is stellar at my place.) I'm not so keen on the idea of paying a monthly nominal fee for content.  Frankly, because of the age of my unit, I don't think it will do the job for very much longer, except for very simple apps.
Or is this idea not viable?  Not sure if we can get away from depending on server support.  Is the offer regarding server or just apps?  Anyway, thanks to all at Chumby community for listening!

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I will be releasing information on how we got into the device - you could use that information however you please.  There will be sufficient information for the device to execute a bash script and/or launch an executable from a USB device.

What *we* will be doing is providing continuity for the device to be used for the purpose for which it had been originally sold as much as practically possible.

If anyone wants to support the device in any other way, they are completely welcome to do so, including completely repurposing the device or running some off-line mode of their own design and implementation.  We do not have a development toolchain for the device, you'll have to obtain that elsewhere.

If anyone is interested in doing more intensive dash development, I would encourage you to track down where Sony has posted the GPL source code for the device for license compliance and download it.

As to the streaming, I'm not sure what to tell you - the processor used in the dash was originally designed for use in TVs and BD players, so it has a DSP which is supposed to effortlessly decode video.  However, I don't know enough about the dash's middleware to tell if their implementation of the system takes optimal advantage of that capability.

EDIT:  The path to Sony's posting of dash source code is https://products.sel.sony.com/opensourc … dash.shtml

I have two Chumbys (one Chumby 1, and Chumby 8) as well as a Sony Dash. I'm very disappointed in Sony for shutting this device completely down. I honestly did prefer the Dash, simply because it had the ability to embed an app/widget or two, inside another app/widget. (For instance,  I could see a calendar, the weather and a daily inspiration message, and even Pandora, all on the same screen). I really wish Chumby had this feature. I would definitely support reviving the Dash via Chumby's network, but will continue to support Chumby via subscription.
P.S. Thanks for bringing Chumby back to life- Long live Chumby!

Two Dash units, used mainly for flexible alarm clocks & weather.   Very disappointed in Sony but hopeful you will be able to keep us going.  Thanks.

Duane wrote:

We have a deployment ready to go for annual subscriptions, we just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Nice! I have 3 units.

I have a single dash.  I would also be interested in keeping it alive.

I will miss netflix -- not that I really USED it.  It was just cool to KNOW I could.