Topic: 5/3/2017 Software Update to Dash

Has anyone else been getting a pop-up to load a 30 file to your Dash?  I've been refusing but it keeps popping up every few hours.

I'm holding off to see what happens here but I feel Sony may be putting in a Good-Bye and then a kill switch software for July 1.

?  who knows  ?

Mike in Cincinnati

Re: 5/3/2017 Software Update to Dash

If  you mean the Control Panel update, all 3 of my units have been updated but the firmware has stayed the same. You would not want to update the firmware if offered.  I don't think Sony will be doing that but they are letting people know that the Dash is over. If you reboot your unit it will update on its own. Doesn't seem to be a problem but July is not  here yet.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

So... I was dumb enough to do that very most recent firmware update.  I don't remember if it was because of a reboot, or I actually just ... "did it."  My wife's Dash ended up doing the update, but it must have been after a power outage or something because she says she didn't do it herself.

ANYWAY.... someone can correct or clarify, but I honestly think the only thing the stupi d update did was write a message (in very small text) over the lower screen when you press the top button for menu.  I think it pops up in another way.

But... it's just the same message regarding Sony ditch'n the Dash, essentially bricking it.  I wish Sony would at least do one last update to at least open it's firmware to allow open sourcing to people.

Yes, it looks like the last thing they did was a Control Panel update that simply added the "end of life" message.

To check, open the Control Panel, select "MENU"=>"System"=>"Device Info" and make sure the firmware version is still 1.7.1526.

Is it possible and would it be good, to update Dash to an older firmware?  Would that allow anything better to customize such as unlocking a partition?

Wouldn't it awesome if Sony sent one last over the air update that unlocked our Dash's so we could connect to our wifi routers? I know, I'm dreamin'.

You can update the firmware to an older version of the firmware if you have a copy somewhere.  I'm not sure where that would get you.

The partitions that hold the software you'd need to replace have been locked since the dash shipped. When Sony did updates, they recomputed the signature for the updated software so they stayed locked.

The "/psp" partition was not locked since it was designed to hold configuration files, so there was a hack for the next-to-last firmware release that allowed you to add entries to the crontab that could execute a binary, but it seems Sony closed that hole as part of their 1.7.1526 firmware release.

Yes, it would be nice if Sony were release a new bootloader that would not enforce the security, but it seems highly unlikely to happen at this point.

Fortunately, the method we're using to get into the device does not require the software to be modified.

I have the previous firmware 171371.  I don't understand the work you're doing or how to do it.  From what you explained about the /psp partition with that previous firmware and being able to add entries to crontab - what could be done with that?  Would it be better to have that firmware and work with it? Or does it matter?

Editing the crontab requires unpacking the Sony firmware update file, modifying a file, repacking it, then performing a USB update with that modified firmware.

The hack is to create an executable file in the /psp partition, then set the crontab to execute it after a certain amount of time.  That hack would presumably interrupt the normal boot process and redirect the device to do something besides what it would normally do.

There are a couple of issues with that:

1) The firmware image is covered by copyright. Sony has not granted anyone the right to modify and redistribute a firmware image.

2) Many, if not most, current Sony dash users have already updated their devices to the latest version.  Presumably there were other things that Sony did for that update besides disabling the cron hack.

3) Exactly what the device may be doing when the cron task fires may not be very predictable.

4) It's simply not necessary for what I'm trying to do.

As an individual, you probably wouldn't get any reaction from Sony if you choose to modify a copy of the firmware and use that yourself, but I'm not a lawyer, so this is just an uninformed opinion and should not be taken as legal advice.

Blue Octy, on the other hand, cannot and will not take the legal risk, since I would be doing mass distribution of this new software, as a company.  I am not modifying any Sony intellectual property.

Hi Duane, thanks for doing everything possible to keep our Dashes up and running.  I'll be subscribing as soon as the update is out.  Do you have any idea when that would be?  Is it dependent on the Sony service ending prior to the update being rolled out?
Thanks for you answer.

By the way the Echo Show is really nice but I have to admit that I love my Dash

We're currently in beta, things are looking good.  I'm finishing up the over-the-air update mechanism for things like the Control Panel, music sources and themes.

There are a couple of show-stopper bugs that are high on my list.

In general, though, I'm waiting for Sony to officially shut down the service so there can't be any complaints that I'm interfering with them.

11 (edited by demarks51 2017-06-30 12:42:29)

Countdown
10, 9, 8, 7, 6..............

I hope the Dashers will give reports of how things went when things change over.
I think most will be delighted. The Sony service has drooped for quite a while. Many of the widgets were not working or just deleted or were not updated. This should be the start of something good.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

We're on the eve of destruction? I'm returning my new Amazon Echo Show. Maybe it's too much for this old dog to figure out. I'm looking forward to my Dash's reincarnation in the world of Chumby! Sony is dead! Long live the Chumby! (Too soon?)

Sorry about this probably stupid question, my dash right now is nothing more then a clock, depressing the menu button give me the end of life message and nothing more,  it does say control panel 4.4.06,  I cant get to the menu that shows the firmware version.  I want to load the new Chumby software but dont want to try before I am sure I am on the right firmware before I start,  Suggestion please!

try it, check the firmware level afterwards, and if it isn't right, then flash the proper firmware.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.